Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Example:
My parents.
Arrows lose. Too many features lose.
More than a couple hundred dollars lose.
Must be fully automated, no button pushing, or lose.

Been there, tried that.
Everyone has different scoring on what wins depending on individual needs, wants, and budget.
The detector that wins is the one that prevents a ticket for that user.

Sounds like you can afford best of the best, and won't settle for less. :thumbsup:
Sometimes it's just best to let people think what they want. It's a waste of breath trying to show them another opinion.

Radario

Vendor
Beginner User
Reaction score
Arrows Win

But thanks for the meaningless reply...:kittyshifty:
You failed to comprehend: A comparison between features of Radar Detectors compared to standard accessories of motor vehicles is meaningless. It's a non-sequiter. It does not follow! Because almost all new Automobiles have air conditioning as a standard feature; it does not necessarily mean that all Radar Detectors will eventually have arrows.

knight_man

I wanna go fast
Intermediate User
Reaction score
You failed to comprehend: A comparison between features of Radar Detectors compared to standard accessories of motor vehicles is meaningless. It's a non-sequiter. It does not follow! Because almost all new Automobiles have air conditioning as a standard feature; it does not necessarily mean that all Radar Detectors will eventually have arrows.
I think the point on that analogy is simply that features that once seemed excessive or unnecessary have become standard equipment.

Not everyone is driving a benz today but in 5 years even your honda will be sporting heated, cooled, and fully power leather bucket seats. Wait that already happened.

There are other examples of “luxury” or “excess” that have become standards. Like your huge 40+ inch flat screen HD TV in each room used to be a single shared appliance, 20 inches of warped glass in a coffin sized box that stood as a status symbol among common folk.

But I mean everything isn’t for everyone. Thank f for capitalism and options.

Radario

Vendor
Beginner User
Reaction score
I think the point on that analogy is simply that features that once seemed excessive or unnecessary have become standard equipment.

Not everyone is driving a benz today but in 5 years even your honda will be sporting heated, cooled, and fully power leather bucket seats. Wait that already happened.

There are other examples of “luxury” or “excess” that have become standards. Like your huge 40+ inch flat screen HD TV in each room used to be a single shared appliance, 20 inches of warped glass in a coffin sized box that stood as a status symbol among common folk.

But I mean everything isn’t for everyone. Thank f for capitalism and options.
Perhaps so, but there will still be autos without some of those features.

solort

Learning to Fly
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with being Retired or tech savvy, Not sure you need to be tech savvy to run a RD with Arrows but that's your opinion.

Again Arrows Win. :cool:
Many people cannot even follow arrows in a parking lot or on the roads for turn lanes. Arrows do no good if you cannot interpret their meaning.

Jantar

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

Been there, tried that.
Everyone has different scoring on what wins depending on individual needs, wants, and budget.

Sounds like you can afford best of the best, and won't settle for less. :thumbsup:
Exactly correct.

My scoring when comparing detectors is weighted as follows:
40% on range
30% on price
20% on false alerts.
10% on everything else including arrows.

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
Arrows win for you.
But if you were retired, not tech savvy, and had $250 budget for an RD.....
Not everyone wants or can afford the full luxury package.
FAIR POINT !!

SOmetimes we forget that.

Benzr

rigapica

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Do not forget the size, arrows = much bigger package.

I have R3 tucked up at the highest side of the windshield.

I cannot even see its display (and it is turned off anyway), because it is placed above the central rear mirror.

For me it is simple: K alert = break, break!!!

It annoys me that laser alerts do not obey the GPS speed limit (I blame the Uniden firmware guys). And I get 2-3 fake laser alerts at every trip.

djkeczap

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Do not forget the size, arrows = much bigger package.

I have R3 tucked up at the highest side of the windshield.

I cannot even see its display (and it is turned off anyway), because it is placed above the central rear mirror.

For me it is simple: K alert = break, break!!!

It annoys me that laser alerts do not obey the GPS speed limit (I blame the Uniden firmware guys). And I get 2-3 fake laser alerts at every trip.
because they focused on the new r4 in order to earn and we buy new ones every year instead of correcting the errors

RadarScout

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
So when are we gonna see a R4 vs DS1 camparo from @Vortex? I'm really wanting to see those two battle it out. 😉
In the first post in this thread, Vortex put those 2 and others through a test.

r3MI

PSL +5
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Example:
My parents.
Arrows lose. Too many features lose.
More than a couple hundred dollars lose.
Must be fully automated, no button pushing, or lose.

Been there, tried that.

Back to reality for you most people are running around with Phones in their back pocket costing $500-1k,

Arrows have been around since Mike V in the 90s, . How old are you again ?

Arrows Win...:offtopic:

And Again Don't Drink the Kool-Aid

Last edited:

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Back to reality for you most people are running around with Phones in their back pocket costing $500-1k,

Arrows have been around since Mike V in the 90s, . How old are you again ?

Arrows Win...:offtopic:

And Again Don't Drink the Kool-Aid
Reality:
Brother has 100K pickup truck.
20K snowmobile x 2
10K mountain bike
Wife has 60K new car.

Tell him I can get him into top end detector, tested right in front of his house many times, for only $500.
Chokes, snorts, looks at me like I'm smoking crack, and tells me he'll take his chances with the cops.

That's reality for what I would guess is 19 out of 20 drivers here, at least.
Value is perceived differently by all.

Arrows didn't win, the wallet and opinions did.
Post automatically merged:

R4 test results make it a viable challenge to the arrow detectors in the marketplace.
I feel however the released price of $450 USD may hurt the bottom line.
By the time this makes it into Canada, where the DS1 is $400 USD = $700CDN, the $450 will be close to $800, while new R7 is going for $750 (list is $999).
R4 more than R7?
Arrows win over range?

Last edited:

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Reality:
Brother has 100K pickup truck.
20K snowmobile x 2
10K mountain bike
Wife has 60K new car.

Tell him I can get him into top end detector, tested right in front of his house many times, for only $500.
Chokes, snorts, looks at me like I'm smoking crack, and tells me he'll take his chances with the cops.

That's reality for what I would guess is 19 out of 20 drivers here, at least.
Value is perceived differently by all.

Arrows didn't win, the wallet and opinions did.

R4 test results make it a viable challenge to the arrow detectors in the marketplace.
I feel however the released price of $450 USD may hurt the bottom line.
By the time this makes it into Canada, where the DS1 is $400 USD = $700CDN, the $450 will be close to $800, while new R7 is going for $750 (list is $999).
R4 more than R7?
Arrows win over range?
He wasn't in the market for a radar detector. That's the vast majority of drivers (thankfully)

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
But if you were retired, not tech savvy, and had $250 budget for an RD.....
If by retired you mean old, I think the only part of that with any relevance is the part where you’re only willing to put $250 toward a one-time CM purchase. If you’re retired, you should’ve learned by now that you should probably double check larger purchases before you make them, and that you generally buy once, cry once. You need zero tech savvy to understand arrows. Which means that if you’re someone who needs CMs because of the way you enjoy driving, you should’ve at least taken a cursory glance at the market done the super basic cost-benefit analysis and realized $250 can’t buy you a new R3, much less a DS1 or R4, much less get you into any detector with arrows.

If you make an impulse buy at a retail outlet, fine, but everyone who’s buying should already know arrows exist, and even among the enthusiast community the pretense of arrows being useless fluff has largely fallen away.

How so? Hanging with the top tier detectors in range testing, even providing a little more range, how does that testing make it compete? For $450 I can get an R4, and for $480 I can get an R7. Am I going to be left in the dust with the R7?

I think if the only arrows that existed were the V1G1, where the V1G2 and R7 and so on didn’t exist, then yeah, you’d have a number of people who’d take the major increase in range instead as more important. That’s what happened for the R1/3 when it came out—as it did with me running the R3 over the V1G1. But the R4 doesn’t represent that kind of revolution, and the V1G2, R7, and so on DO exist. The R4 adds, what, Bluetooth? How is that going to convince a cheapskate Luddite to go with that over the R7?

I truly don’t see it.

He wasn't in the market for a radar detector. That's the vast majority of drivers (thankfully)
Agreed!

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
If by retired you mean old, I think the only part of that with any relevance is the part where you’re only willing to put $250 toward a one-time CM purchase. If you’re retired, you should’ve learned by now that you should probably double check larger purchases before you make them, and that you generally buy once, cry once. You need zero tech savvy to understand arrows. Which means that if you’re someone who needs CMs because of the way you enjoy driving, you should’ve at least taken a cursory glance at the market done the super basic cost-benefit analysis and realized $250 can’t buy you a new R3, much less a DS1 or R4, much less get you into any detector with arrows.

If you make an impulse buy at a retail outlet, fine, but everyone who’s buying should already know arrows exist, and even among the enthusiast community the pretense of arrows being useless fluff has largely fallen away.

How so? Hanging with the top tier detectors in range testing, even providing a little more range, how does that testing make it compete? For $450 I can get an R4, and for $480 I can get an R7. Am I going to be left in the dust with the R7?

I think if the only arrows that existed were the V1G1, where the V1G2 and R7 and so on didn’t exist, then yeah, you’d have a number of people who’d take the major increase in range instead as more important. That’s what happened for the R1/3 when it came out—as it did with me running the R3 over the V1G1. But the R4 doesn’t represent that kind of revolution, and the V1G2, R7, and so on DO exist. The R4 adds, what, Bluetooth? How is that going to convince a cheapskate Luddite to go with that over the R7?

I truly don’t see it.

Agreed!
You missed my point.
True Story Example last month: my parents do a ton of research and buy a product, only to get screwed with a piece of garbage. Return cost dearly.
How many detector buyers come here or Vortex Radar, knowing those are the sources to trust, vs. all the other reviews and sales recommendations out there.
If you need a detector because of sleezy enforcement found in many places, what are expectations of a buyer going in with limited knowledge?
The prices of decent detectors are shocking to most.
They reevaluate their first choice and go with the expected budget choice.
This is where the bubble wrap worthy products thrive, feeding just below the decent detectors.
DS1 and R4 should be marketed to fill that gap, but the R4 appears to be priced too close to the R7 IMO to do that and win a protection/value comparison.
Right now the R3 still is the best budget entry, but without auto everything to it's not best fit for the masses.

R4 competitive with the arrows comment was a continuation of previous post, on performance only. Value as mentioned, is a harder case to make.

If by retired you mean old
Not meaning old as a slander, but an example of fixed income, and careful of expenditures.
Less knowledgeable about RD makes this more risky, choosing from lower cost choices.
Unfortunately I don't think this consumer group would be a shopper of R4 price range.

Last edited:

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Right now the R3 still is the best budget entry, but without auto everything to it's not best fit for the masses.
Yeah I think that’s going to be the main advantage of the R4 if they can back off the high pricing some, running head on against the DS1 for a quality mid-priced single horn detector that provides the set-and-forget functions that will benefit everyone, plus some Bluetooth tossed in for good measure. Only downside is like you mentioned some don’t count the cost of getting snagged by revenuers to realize it doesn’t take much for a one-time purchase of a long term CM to pay for itself—and then many times over.

Not meaning old as a slander, but an example of fixed income, and careful of expenditures.
Again, while that might be a misguided mindset, I understand it can be fairly common. Someone who needs the protection of a decent detector should really be understanding that they can amortize them cost of that purchase over years and weigh it against the both the direct costs they’re risking as well as the additive costs of insurance rate increases and such.

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Depends on your threats.
I here a beep, I awaken from my trance, lift my foot off the accelerator, put it over the brake, look out the windows and check the mirror...After that I look at the detector.
Give me an extra 200 yds on redflex, preferably with a unique beep tone, without arrows if necessary.
Variety is the spice of life!

Boozehound

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
He might engage you in another conversation from a new perspective if/when those chances work out poorly. One good ticket and its associated costs can provide a major change in outlook.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
He might engage you in another conversation from a new perspective if/when those chances work out poorly. One good ticket and its associated costs can provide a major change in outlook.
Maybe, I doubt it.
He will say he'll just slow down, or ask why don't I just give him one as I have so many ... :rolleyes:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjmackay