Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
So for the past few weeks I've had a new Uniden R4 on hand for beta testing. It's the successor to the Uniden R3 and it'll be available starting in October sometime. Next week I'll start working on a full video going over the detector, but for now I got the all clear to go ahead and start releasing some preliminary test results.

Under the hood Uniden has added an LNA which looks to have boosted its performance nicely. Here it is next to the R3:

Uniden R3 and R4.jpg

It shares a similar platform to the DS1, but the DS1 uses an upgraded horn while the R4 relies on LNA's. There's also a bunch of other differences in terms of design and features and I plan on sharing a lot more info going over the R4, how it compares to the R3 and DS1, etc. over the next few weeks.

Full disclosure and disclaimer: This is with a manufacturer supplied unit. ;) Same with most of the other detectors. I believe it's a pilot production unit. I'll need to doublecheck to see if this firmware is what'll be released at launch. This is also testing with just one copy of the detector. I've asked to get some more units sent over to my fellow Uniden beta testers so they can run it through the gauntlet before launch too and hopefully that can happen. In the meantime, here's what I've been seeing:

Test #1: 34.7 testing around the bend

You remember the around the bend 34.7 test I did with ~20 detectors? Well I also ran the R4 in that test too. Here's the updated test results adding in the R4.

Around the Bend 34.7 test data with Uniden R4.png
Vortex's Around the Bend, Forest Test Course with Uniden R4 34.7 (8-1-21).png

In this test it did outstanding, managing to slightly edge out the DS1 with the overall average detection range.

Here's one of the R4's test passes so you can see it in action:

and here's a side-by-side showing the R3 vs. R4:

Test #2: Red Barn Testing on 33.8, 34.7, & 35.5

Next up, I also ran the R4 in my latest red barn testing.

First, here's 33.8:

Red Barn Testing 33.8 with Uniden R4.png

Vortex's 33.8 Radar Detector Test Results (with Uniden R4), Red Barn Course, 8-24-21.png

On 33.8, it was right up there with the DS1. They were the only two detectors in this group that managed long distance alerts on every single run.

Next, here's 34.7:

Red Barn Testing 34.7 with Uniden R4.png

Vortex's 34.7 Radar Detector Test Results (with Uniden R4), Red Barn Course, 8-24-21.png

On 34.7, again the R4 did excellent with consistent long range detections just like the DS1 and V1 Gen2.

Finally, here's 35.5:

Red Barn Testing 35.5 with Uniden R4.png

Vortex's 35.5 Radar Detector Test Results (with Uniden R4), Red Barn Course, 8-24-21.png

This was probably the R4's most impressive result. Most every detector was terrain limited around 35.5.

The DS1 had that one long 35.5 outlier detection, but every other detection was in that same terrain limited result.

The R4 managed that crazy long detection on every single pass.

R4 red barn testing 35.5.jpg

Whatever Attowave has been cooking up in the lab lately, they're turning in extremely impressive numbers here.

Here's the overall averages on all 3 Ka frequencies:

Red Barn Testing, Overall Averages with Uniden R4.png

Vortex's 33.8, 34.7, & 35.5 Radar Detector Test Results (with Uniden R4), Red Barn Course, 8-2...png

Yeah....

Disclaimer repeated: I feel like I need to say this again given recent discussions. These tests are only with one copy of a detector. It's a manufacturer supplied unit for beta testing purposes. We need to wait for more testing with more copies of the detector to see how consistent and repeatable results like these are, particularly with retail units, but so far things are looking extremely promising.

Now I know you guys probably have a TON of questions. I've been busy with other projects so I won't be able to start with R4 content until next week sometime, but I wanted to go ahead and share my initial test results with you here.

Last edited:

ARkaband

War Eagle
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Looks very impressive! Have you had any experience with K band range/reactivity and how it handles BSM?

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
Now this should be interesting...

Are we going to keep complaining about moonshots now?

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Looks very impressive! Have you had any experience with K band range/reactivity and how it handles BSM?
Honestly I've only run it maybe two or three times and I haven't really run it in a few weeks. I've been so busy with the DS1, K40, and RMR stuff lately and the past few days I've been working on the new Blackvue DR900X Plus that was just announced.

Up until about an hour ago I didn't even know when they were gonna release it, lol, so I've been prioritizing other things.

Cannonf600

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thank you Vortex for time, dedication and passion for our hobby and all of the RDF members!

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
So now the next big questions are filtering, kband performance, reactivity and of course price... I'd expect this around the same price as the DS1.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Guess Uniden is sending those juiced units to you too.

Or, maybe the DS1/R4 platform is just that much better! So glad to see other testing that is consistent, and now nobody can claim manufacturer bias.

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
1631135359019.png

Twi7ch

brap brap
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Vortex is going to be busy for months to come. Nice to see the battle of windshield mount detectors continues. As if we didn't have enough posts to comb through with the DS1

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
What a painful meeting to wait through during the R4 spoilers thread release.
Thanks @Vortex for the teaser to feed the animals in the zoo required stimulation.
Should we tell them about all the other upcoming model releases too? ;)
Or do we keep those secret and let them speculate into madness?
200.gif

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjmackay