Interstate Speeds

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Engineering-wise US highways are not bad
That is HIGHLY variable. Even interstates vary by locality and age. Some are fantastic. Others make you wish they’d be forced to go learn from the Germans. And some toll roads were very clearly built by the lowest bidder who then immediately tossed the contract specs right out the window and dared their clients to say anything about it.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Say the speed limit is 70. With Waze and no cars playing "rabbit" up ahead, I'll go 80 or so. I'm trying to figure out how much farther I should/could push it if I add a detector.

If the speed limit is 70, what speed are you guys typically setting your cruise?

I know it's a bit of an open question, so please take it easy on me.

Thanks in advance...
It all depends.

PSL on I-5 through the San Joaquin Valley is 70 mph. I typically cruise at 95 mph.

PSL on I-80 through the Sierra Nevada is 65 mph. During snow storms, I cruise at 20-30 mph. And I typically do not use cruise control at all on this route.

dcova

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
On the interstate with posted speed limit at 70 I typically will run at ~95 MPH if traffic is light and road conditions are safe. That includes having all my countermeasures up and active. When driving my other car (SUV) without counter measures, I just go with the flow.

Bocephus

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
How did I miss this thread? If you aren’t breaking records based on the Waze algorithms you aren’t driving.

IsItWorthIt

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
How did I miss this thread? If you aren’t breaking records based on the Waze algorithms you aren’t driving.
I love challenging myself to beat the estimated arrival time. It’s my favorite sport and the longer the distance the more fun it is.

A couple months ago I drove 1006 miles in one trip. GMaps said it would take 14:52 and I did it in 11:57 including stops.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agoose