How-To / Source Code for Custom ALP Display

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If you're interested, I can help with getting the data from the control set so you can get gun ids, direction, etc. rather than inferring from LED colors
I PM'd you a while back about exactly that - would absolutely love to have the system work from a richer data source!

wirelessandy

It's a very exciting time
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
My parts should be arriving this Saturday. Excitement!

matt8119

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm actually pretty happy with the HiFi for verbal announcements of what gun is ID'd. I'm not sure I want to read a screen when driving.

• Create custom icons (blocks for signal strength, arrows) for both LCD and OLED displays.
An arrow display and signal strength meter is what I'm after... Something similar to the Radenso RC-M
View attachment 186439
I would love it if ALP came out with something like this as a standalone, without having to add the radar warning system...

wirelessandy

Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Got my parts, including the teeny tiny OLED screens (same as yours)

I cannot find the ss_oled to add in Library Manager.

Am I doing something wrong? EDIT! FOUND IT! FACEPALM

Last edited:

wirelessandy

Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

Not bad for a noob!
Question: Is there a reason the display flickers from time to time? Is it because I don't have it connected to the ALP yet?

wirelessandy

Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
First in-car test, front detection, v02 software.

Post automatically merged:

A note on the LED cable: If you recycle the ALP LED cable (I had two lying around, not using them) by chopping off the LED, the colors don't match. Here is the correct order.
IMG_1210.JPG

Last edited:

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
First in-car test, front detection, v02 software.

A note on the LED cable: If you recycle the ALP LED cable (I had two lying around, not using them) by chopping off the LED, the colors don't match. Here is the correct order.
View attachment 186622
That’s awesome - thanks for the video! Was a little nervous that something goofy may have happened since I couldn’t properly test the code with the general display output…

Question: Is there a reason the display flickers from time to time? Is it because I don't have it connected to the ALP yet?
Yes, exactly. So if the Arduino will ever be on when the ALP is powered off, it’d be smart to install 10k resistors between each of the three LED wires and ground. Otherwise, the LED wires are just floating.

Last edited:

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
View attachment 186622
That is a super neat looking connector. What’s it called? Yes, the colors of the wires in the LED cable are kind of arbitrary. You always have to just go by the position in the RJ12 connector.

wirelessandy

Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Note on your writeup: Might want to change "RJ6" to "4P4C" cable, since it's the more correct official designation... and yield proper Amazon search results.

That is a super neat looking connector. What’s it called? Yes, the colors of the wires in the LED cable are kind of arbitrary. You always have to just go by the position in the RJ12 connector.
Those are lever nuts. I use them for quick changes before I solder everything permanently.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LF989CW/?tag=rdf0cd0c-20

wirelessandy

Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Question: What's the meaning of the single letter? Like "B"?

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Question: What's the meaning of the single letter? Like "B"?
Currently active profile. It will be correct after it sees its very first profile change, and will remember across restarts.

wirelessandy

Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I didn't even know I had a profile set!

Smason

What is a PSL?
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
If @SquirrelMaster knows how to decode a gun ID from control set, that'd be baller, if not. I bet there may be a way to get gun ID through the Pro Mode alert led pulses with a counter of some kind.

darkestb4dawn

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
If @SquirrelMaster knows how to decode a gun ID from control set, that'd be baller, if not. I bet there may be a way to get gun ID through the Pro Mode alert led pulses with a counter of some kind.
I'm mostly hoping that the control set might be getting sent the radar frequency. That's what I'm mostly looking to display. I havent been getting any laser falses, but if the Hi-Fi set simply says "Ka band" without the frequency. I'd love to be able to look at the frequency and, from memory, be able to recognize likely true radar hits.

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
ModSec
Administrator
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yee:

Hopefully I can just turn this into a library or base code

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NZdrivepro