ALP installation advice for Tesla Model Y Performance

infiniti

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I need some expert ALP install advice for a 2021 Tesla Model Y Performance that I'm about to acquire.
(1) Are the head locations suitable?
(2) Where the #&*$ can I find a switched 12V wire in the refresh / latest 2021 still in factory?
(3) How do I get through the firewall upfront safely?
(4) Where do I mount front radar head for DSP?
(5) How do I get into rear hatch and using what tool? Fish tape?
(6) Where can I mount the rear DSP radar head?
(7) Where can I find acrylic lense material to somewhat stealth the RX/TX heads without sacrificing performance?

Appreciate the advice from the pros on here.

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

HankLloydRight

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Why a Tx in the rear instead of the front?

Are you in DragonEye territory?
Post automatically merged:

Also check out this video for switched 12v in Model 3. MY should be similar

Last edited:

Gatortotz

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I need some expert ALP install advice for a 2021 Tesla Model Y Performance that I'm about to acquire.
(2) Where the #&*$ can I find a switched 12V wire in the refresh / latest 2021 still in factory?
(7) Where can I find acrylic lense material to somewhat stealth the RX/TX heads without sacrificing performance?

View attachment 185683
View attachment 185684
1) Yes, but with the new TX Black head you could run a TX up front. From testing it does work well below the 20" mark.
7) Source for IR acrylic: https://www.eplastics.com/plexiglass/acrylic-sheets/ir-transmitting/ACRY31430-125PM24X48

infiniti

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Why a Tx in the rear instead of the front?

Are you in DragonEye territory?

Also check out this video for switched 12v in Model 3. MY should be similar

Hi, It's what I own and a pretty good size rear of the car.

That video is from the old gen Model 3, they say in the comments it no longer is accurate for 2021.

1) Yes, but with the new TX Black head you could run a TX up front. From testing it does work well below the 20" mark.
7) Source for IR acrylic: https://www.eplastics.com/plexiglass/acrylic-sheets/ir-transmitting/ACRY31430-125PM24X48
Very cool. I may try that out.

I'll check the link.

OhMyVa

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yeah, good luck finding a switched 12v in the Y. I gave up and used the cigarette lighter tap, but that means sentry has to be turned off to get the car to sleep

colsnt

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

View attachment 185683
View attachment 185684
I can’t confirm it’s the same for the Y but here’s what I did on my model 3.

(3) I removed the passenger footwell trim and glovebox and the frunk box and lifted the windshield cowel trim revealing the factory wiring harness grommet through the firewall. It’s fairly big so using a cable snake rod you should be able to get all your cables through there.

(5) the trunk lid plastic trim is attached with many plastic clips and will just pull off. The trunk liners are fairly straightforward and just attached with a series of push pins. Now getting wires though the factory rubber into the trunk was a challenge. I detached it from its mounts against the hinge mechanism and pulled it out from each end to get it as straight as possible. I tried using the cable snake rod and it was impossible to get though without damaging the rubber so I sprayed a good amount of pb blaster into the harness tube and was able to get one wire though at a time without damaging anything. Afterwards I flushed everything out with some isopropyl alcohol and water mixture to get rid of the greasy mess.

infiniti

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah, good luck finding a switched 12v in the Y. I gave up and used the cigarette lighter tap, but that means sentry has to be turned off to get the car to sleep

I want to keep sentry mode active - it's a feature that I like a lot. Anyone else find a switched 12V in the 2021 Model Y (refreshed)?

colsnt

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I want to keep sentry mode active - it's a feature that I like a lot. Anyone else find a switched 12V in the 2021 Model Y (refreshed)?
My only suggestion would be start checking wires with a multi meter, the interior lights and screen turn off when the car thinks that no one is in it so there must be a switched circuit somewhere related to those.

It seems like Tesla makes changes to their wiring harnesses quite often so it may be hard to find anyone else with the same wiring who has found what wire to use.

infiniti

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
What about putting these on a manual switch for on/off?

Also, anyone find a good spot to mount the front and rear DSP heads?

infiniti

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'll test this with a relay - may be what I'm looking for:

infiniti

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm thinking of installing the front and rear DSP heads in the plastic sections of the bumpers (rear just offset from the trailer hitch opening, behind unpainted plastic) and, if there is room, in the front grill just to the right or left of the slats behind the unpainted plastic.

Anyone familiar with the front to know if I can mount it their facing forward?

Will update with photos if those two locations work out.

front.jpg

rear.jpg

Last edited:

Millwright99

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Not familiar with that car but I do know my Netradar DSP has Amazing performance mounted behind the bumper. Ive only ever ran windshield mounts before this so wasn't sure how it would work but I was VERY happy to see how it performed, and I absolutely love the fact that it's completely hidden!

infiniti

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

MarkCL

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
General User
Reaction score
I mounted my ALP head where the front grill opening is, haven't got shot by any laser yet so idk how good it is​
65257932892__3210E0BF-9CC8-41C8-85B3-13780CF2989D.fullsizerender.jpg
Switched 12v is hard to find, but you don't have to worry about 12v running dry, the car will charge the 12v battery then it drops below 11.5v, I have mine wired to the left vehicle controller, contact me for a detailed pic. i just leave mine on and shut it off if it's overnight somewhere. There is also a wire next to passenger seat that will have switched 12v when driver seat is occupy but its pita to get to​
Firewall, in my 2020 Model 3 there is an opening where passenger footrest is and there is a gasket has 2 orange HV wire, you can run you sensor wire right next to it​
i haven't done it myself, but mounting it on top of the front crash bar behind the bumper should find since it's made out of plastic​
Clips puller and those clips will break, go to your local tesla service and order the clips for spare​
On top of the rear crash bar off the to the side​

infiniti

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the detailed response. On the DSP heads, I have metallic paint and I expect a serious reduction in range if I put it behind that.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agoose