Info: The Trucks Of The Massachusetts State Police

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
If you drive through Massachusetts with any sort of regularity, you'll be intimately familiar with the Ford Police Interceptor Utility that rules the fleets of MASP. The presence of all three generations of PIU has become a mainstay on the state highways since the ubiquitous Crown Vic was discontinued.
65qCmHPDuvW67b4cg8sFBZiB0jAcYGWJGwst1sGq.jpeg

w5PpG7ImoRej7Dkst1zrKYDQV4zR5yyiKXy1kE4v.jpeg

DXCK0Pk2LWqKl6CFa12Ytih3uxUFr1gcBzIqgmra.jpeg

While you are most liable to run into one of these during your travels, MASP has been quietly adding a lot of trucks to their fleet during the past year or two. These guys blend into traffic very well, and it's worth taking extra caution with your situational awareness, especially for spotting some of these unmarked trucks.

The Tahoes might be the most obvious one, although they do blend in to traffic very well. They've been popping up all over the state, with most of the areas I've driven through having at least one at this point. They seem to be frequently used for speed enforcement. Two (2) of the Tahoes that I have encountered were transmitting with their MPH Bee IIIs, while one in the images here can be seen with a Kustom Golden Eagle. I have also seen a couple Tahoes shooting lidar, but it was mainly on the Mass Pike.
1UETgjGI7qJutSIGv0MQdAWqLihesl4UG1n9ZxvP.jpeg

QUfEhSO2kEnVEhiTLkg1pYCLCItkPixsYgkjYLDH.jpeg

KkdXlmuhTVjO5FcfUhrbqzIZvxTAZ40eVEMKjmge.jpeg

87505404_2567003736881054_6127758217775677440_n.jpg

There also seems to be a number of older and newer Ford Expeditions in the fleet, with several new Expeditions in all black with steel wheels and a push bumper. These seem to be used for commercial vehicle enforcement, although I did see one of the new Expeditions shooting lidar once on the Southeast Expressway.
YJVyDTvdgokA0yUog2GP69rNeHDAYtht67wGUNqP.jpeg

Vc5GR09DR04b5gwhBAsYfHZjIvaKXSA6qvPrWz1e.jpeg

The real rough trucks to spot are the F series trucks. MASP has numerous Ford pickup trucks, both marked and unmarked, that are regularly used for speed enforcement. It seems like both are regularly equipped with radar and lidar. Some of the trucks have been spotted with ALPR mounted on the bed or roof of the cab. The F-150s can often be seen with caps over the bed, making them even harder to distinguish.
CiBSvzEWsAA_ROT.jpg

gjpzjxtUZ9Eq01LV1EGqieMMVvTMG1EI7wPlCm3e.jpeg

olcfokb2HHL8scBTkNnkkjIDSZ07Hps3jLTeqCfe.jpeg

6BE6F4jGBzAUoH6FvNmJhgqhyB4jJcYZzBvw7mJb.jpeg

Igv4XxJtKcirhNg5n0wmeDqbaJg8nDzErDwAiBBo.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 6.51.22 PM.png

And just recently, I have been seeing some marked Silverados appear throughout the state. Although they are marked, these trucks have proven to be a real pain in the ass to spot at night.
219822857_4200901116660506_3892939978154976291_n.jpg

So if you're driving through the state, especially on the highways, don't just assume that Ford PIUs are what you're going to encounter.

Attachments

• ako7ks90l4d61.webp
    122.9 KB · Views: 20

mikedotd

Arrow Enthusiast
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'll add that 6 years ago I got paced and ticketed west-bound on the pike right after the State Police barracks near Natick by a 100% unmarked grey Ford Explorer cruising in the middle lane in medium traffic around noon. No SP plates, no antenna's, no light bar, no front crash bar, just hidden wig-wag's in the grill and near the headliner of the windshield. The officer was in full uniform when he got out and didn't seem to have a special rank. My eyes and CM's did me no good that day.

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'll add that 6 years ago I got paced and ticketed west-bound on the pike right after the State Police barracks near Natick by a 100% unmarked grey Ford Explorer cruising in the middle lane in medium traffic around noon. No SP plates, no antenna's, no light bar, no front crash bar, just hidden wig-wag's in the grill and near the headliner of the windshield. The officer was in full uniform when he got out and didn't seem to have a special rank. My eyes and CM's did me no good that day.
Like one of these? I've heard these are out there, but I can't say with any certainty that I've ran into one. Scary to know someone here has been busted by one. They'd be almost impossible to spot from a distance.
KPKkMqvA4fFX6Xgg2Ja88DmlP9vCzgfJ9lXpIih1.jpeg

However, I have seen the unmarked Malibus that they have. They seem to be the same color as the Tahoes. 99% of the time, I see them being used for construction details or accident response. However, there was a decent sized enforcement blitz up here in February of 2020 and I saw one shooting lidar on Route 128. It would be so easy to miss this.
ZVPTaA065U2AObVYnfdhbFlNReC1sDBRW7ezMxKy.jpeg

Unmarked cars are rare, but they're out there. This sign on the Pike westbound (I-495 Interchange) is a grim reminder.
Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 8.10.25 AM.png

In10Cityin10Cities

Intensity in 10 cities
General User
Reaction score
If you drive through Massachusetts with any sort of regularity, you'll be intimately familiar with the Ford Police Interceptor Utility that rules the fleets of MASP. The presence of all three generations of PIU has become a mainstay on the state highways since the ubiquitous Crown Vic was discontinued.
View attachment 185107
View attachment 185108
View attachment 185109
While you are most liable to run into one of these during your travels, MASP has been quietly adding a lot of trucks to their fleet during the past year or two. These guys blend into traffic very well, and it's worth taking extra caution with your situational awareness, especially for spotting some of these unmarked trucks.

The Tahoes might be the most obvious one, although they do blend in to traffic very well. They've been popping up all over the state, with most of the areas I've driven through having at least one at this point. They seem to be frequently used for speed enforcement. Two (2) of the Tahoes that I have encountered were transmitting with their MPH Bee IIIs, while one in the images here can be seen with a Kustom Golden Eagle. I have also seen a couple Tahoes shooting lidar, but it was mainly on the Mass Pike.
View attachment 185110
View attachment 185111
View attachment 185112
View attachment 185113
There also seems to be a number of older and newer Ford Expeditions in the fleet, with several new Expeditions in all black with steel wheels and a push bumper. These seem to be used for commercial vehicle enforcement, although I did see one of the new Expeditions shooting lidar once on the Southeast Expressway.
View attachment 185115
View attachment 185116
The real rough trucks to spot are the F series trucks. MASP has numerous Ford pickup trucks, both marked and unmarked, that are regularly used for speed enforcement. It seems like both are regularly equipped with radar and lidar. Some of the trucks have been spotted with ALPR mounted on the bed or roof of the cab. The F-150s can often be seen with caps over the bed, making them even harder to distinguish.
View attachment 185117
View attachment 185118
View attachment 185119
View attachment 185120
View attachment 185121
View attachment 185122
And just recently, I have been seeing some marked Silverados appear throughout the state. Although they are marked, these trucks have proven to be a real pain in the ass to spot at night.
View attachment 185123
So if you're driving through the state, especially on the highways, don't just assume that Ford PIUs are what you're going to encounter.
Unfortunately i have seen the Expeditions,Tahoe`s and saw a Ford F150 being used by Illinois State Troopers just last week.Never seen these vehicles before on our Illinois Interstates until now. They all were black in color and were set up on entranceways onto the Steveson Expressway{55 North}.Some sort of Wolfpack enforcement going on which is needed i guess with all these Aholes shooting at each other.

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've seen both types of Ford P/U's (typical marked paint schemes + fully plain wrapper grey paint only). Don't forget the plain wrapper Ford Fusions- I've seen in medium grey & I got owned by a Capt. in a Black one w/ hidden wig-wags.

V1Jake

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
200.gif

Thanks for the info! I'm surprised NJSP didn't upgrade their Tahoes yet.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agoose