K band in Southern Maine?

MrBaldwin

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Has anyone encountered K band recently in Southern Maine?

After several months with my R3 I have yet to find any. I was thinking maybe some of the county Sheriffs might be running it since some were still on X band in 07'ish which was the last time I used a detector.

robbyb413

I thought there would be beer
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The data is pretty incomplete and quite old for Maine. Only two counties in the Southern part of the state seem to have data logged and it's not complete data. I mean when was the last time you saw a crown vic in York?

1627656968619.png

I can't recall running into it myself any time recently. I don't think it's about my anecdotal evidence though, because that's not going to get me out of a ticket. I fully expect some random community to have a cop lurking running it to rack up revenue at any given moment. Thus I leave it enabled in on the profile I have setup for ME.

MrBaldwin

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Haven't seen a Crown Vic in maybe a decade. Also the silver Mustang has been gone for about as long. Aircraft is certainly alive and well over the last few years...

I agree best to leave K band on anyway as the only falses are the occasional BSM.

robbyb413

Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
.Also the silver Mustang has been gone for about as long.

While that specific silver mustang is gone, the point that they run unexpected unmarked vehicles is still an important take away.

Aircraft is certainly alive and well over the last few years...

There are a couple threads about aircraft in Maine on here. Well documented.

MrBaldwin

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
While that specific silver mustang is gone, the point that they run unexpected unmarked vehicles is still an important take away.

Always best to be suspicious, however my observation is that Maine SP has only used interceptor grade vehicles for the last 10 years or so. The silver mustangs, minivans, CRV, etc, have long been removed from speed enforcement duty. The few unmarked SUVs currently in use are not so discrete blacked out explorers with antennas.

Daytime enforcement is overwhelmingly lidar and aircraft with patient I/O in heavy use after dark. I am curious to hear any other observations!

robbyb413

Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
While they don't run them for speed enforcement directly, they're out there for other purposes and they do have radios/cell phones. Do you want to gamble on whether or not they're going to just let it go if you blast by them going 25 over because they're supposed to be looking for drugs, a truck load of prostitutes, or something else? I dunno. I still run CloseCall to pick it up if they key up near me and keep my eyes open for them in general because I don't like to gamble. 🤷‍♂️

MrBaldwin

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I have noticed some new aircraft markers just south and north of the mainline York toll. Fresh paint that will likely be put to heavy use in the near future since they bothered to mark the spot.

westwind77

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Before the pandemic a couple ME ski trips did result in K-band LEO hits - obviously going back a couple years now. You never know what each small town runs.

robbyb413

Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I have noticed some new aircraft markers just south and north of the mainline York toll. Fresh paint that will likely be put to heavy use in the near future since they bothered to mark the spot.

Again, as I indicated back on the 3rd, there are recent threads discussing the enforcement on Maine's highways, and the State Police weren't unclear about their intentions, and were especially clear on the use of aircraft back in April. If you're in that area a lot, you really ought to go back and take a look through those previous threads. 👍

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdubz