Always On/Active LTE/Wi-Fi Hotspot Solution?

edlosee

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this, but Reddit and Google are no help...

Will be getting a Blackvue D900X-2CH dashcam in the upcoming weeks for my new car.
The vehicle has a built-in Wi-Fi hotspot, but the problem is, it is only active when the car is on (no way to change that according to the manufacturer).

I also have the Redline 360c that automatically updates the firmware, has live police/band warnings, and shows the speed limit when connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Is there a good solution that you guys use to have a Wi-Fi hotspot that can always stay on?
I know Blackvue has the LTE module that can be hardwired to always be on, but as far as I can tell, it only supplies data to the dashcam and cannot act as a Wi-Fi hotspot.

I just don't want to have to pay for two data plans - one for the Blackvue LTE module and one for the car's built-in hotspot so the Redline 360c can fully function.

I technically don't need an always active Wi-Fi hotspot - I would technically only need 24/7 active data to the Blackvue dashcam, and a broadcasting hotspot available when the car is on so I can fully use the Redline 360c's functions (obviously, if something like that isn't available, then at least an always active hotspot).

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Get a portable mobile hotspot (wired to your battery), and some jumper cables.

Lucky225

Advanced User
Reaction score

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah so I've played with this a lot. My current solution is a WiFi hotspot that automatically turns on when it gets power (so I don't have to putz with it) and to hook that up to a battery pack so it also works while parked.

That's been working alright for multiple devices, but the USB adapter I use is still flaky and the WiFi periodically goes down briefly so I want a better solution.

As for the Blackvues, I believe it can share its internet connection with one device. You'll need to have your phone connected to the dashcam initially and then tell the RL360c to connect to the Blackvue. It'll error out at first since your phone is already connected, but once you disconnect your phone, your RD should be able to connect and then you'll have data for both your dashcam and your RD.

edlosee

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Yeah so I've played with this a lot. My current solution is a WiFi hotspot that automatically turns on when it gets power (so I don't have to putz with it) and to hook that up to a battery pack so it also works while parked.

That's been working alright for multiple devices, but the USB adapter I use is still flaky and the WiFi periodically goes down briefly so I want a better solution.

As for the Blackvues, I believe it can share its internet connection with one device. You'll need to have your phone connected to the dashcam initially and then tell the RL360c to connect to the Blackvue. It'll error out at first since your phone is already connected, but once you disconnect your phone, your RD should be able to connect and then you'll have data for both your dashcam and your RD.
Oh that's really interesting. If the RD is able to connect to the Blackvue (I'm assuming it would connect to the dashcam directly) which in turn is getting data from the CM100LTE module, then that would be a perfect scenario.
Guess I'll have to get the CM100LTE and try it out.
Thanks!

robbyb413

I thought there would be beer
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I find it somewhat funny/suspect that when TMo presents 3 benefits to the SyncUP, only one of them is actually about connectivity itself, and that's listed last.

1627595339161.png

Can you opt out of the Safety and Peace of Mind benefits? In a way that can't be undone or accessed covertly/via court order/"for marketing purposes" etc? TMo states all that data is stored in their cloud and their privacy policies pretty transparently state they turn over all sorts of customer info and data to law enforcement, some of it with just a subpoena. Also this one is kinda of scary:

1627595598328.png

Seems like the definitions of emergency and good faith have all ben pretty stretched, bent, twisted, and beaten up lately. Might be safer to go with something that isn't connected to the OBDII port and monitoring so much about your car and behavior from where I sit.

jfleg97

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I love the foreshadowing in this answer :)
I feel personally attacked by it. Luckily it happened at home while I had a jumper box. Solution I’m working on is a low voltage disconnect that will be between my main electrical panel and the battery. Wont be 24/7 necessarily, but I’d rather have my car start in the morning. Potentially pair that with larger deep cycle battery?

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I find it somewhat funny/suspect that when TMo presents 3 benefits to the SyncUP, only one of them is actually about connectivity itself, and that's listed last.

View attachment 184935
Can you opt out of the Safety and Peace of Mind benefits? In a way that can't be undone or accessed covertly/via court order/"for marketing purposes" etc? TMo states all that data is stored in their cloud and their privacy policies pretty transparently state they turn over all sorts of customer info and data to law enforcement, some of it with just a subpoena. Also this one is kinda of scary:

View attachment 184936

Seems like the definitions of emergency and good faith have all ben pretty stretched, bent, twisted, and beaten up lately. Might be safer to go with something that isn't connected to the OBDII port and monitoring so much about your car and behavior from where I sit.
Sure that’s one of the reasons I choose to not have the OBD adapter plugged into my OBD port. I also want to avoid any potential security risks if someone can access my car via the adapter’s BT connection.

If you find a solution that doesn’t require OBD and adapters in the first place, that’d be preferable. Most of the standard ones don’t automatically turn on when they receive power (aka you start your car) and I want something 100% automated. If you find one that works this way though, please let me know.

Lucky225

Advanced User
Reaction score
Sure that’s one of the reasons I choose to not have the OBD adapter plugged into my OBD port. I also want to avoid any potential security risks if someone can access my car via the adapter’s BT connection.

If you find a solution that doesn’t require OBD and adapters in the first place, that’d be preferable. Most of the standard ones don’t automatically turn on when they receive power (aka you start your car) and I want something 100% automated. If you find one that works this way though, please let me know.
Why don't you just run a dedicated CM phone that automatically turns on a hotspot, and/or better yet, automatically uses android auto to get rid of a phone on your dash and use that beautiful infotainment screen, I know you got a flick button around that you can use for an ALP jammer kill switch too :)

robbyb413

I thought there would be beer
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score

I see your point about the auto on part being difficult aside from this type of device, and get your point that you've got it powered up through a secondary circuit rather than your OBDII port. Do you know though that it's not sending all the other info back to TMo and logging that, though?

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Why don't you just run a dedicated CM phone that automatically turns on a hotspot, and/or better yet, automatically uses android auto to get rid of a phone on your dash and use that beautiful infotainment screen, I know you got a flick button around that you can use for an ALP jammer kill switch too :)
I use CarPlay for my iPhone and don't have any interest in switching to Android Auto for my dash. I used to experiment with a second dedicated phone, but ran into issues with the phone battery dying over time and the phone not starting back up next time I got in the car. Maybe the new Samsung phone I have now would be better with this. Again the goal is 100% automation and so far I haven't been able to achieve that with an Android and a hotspot. Maybe it is possible though and I need to putz around with settings and automation apps more. :)
I see your point about the auto on part being difficult aside from this type of device, and get your point that you've got it powered up through a secondary circuit rather than your OBDII port. Do you know though that it's not sending all the other info back to TMo and logging that, though?
I don't know the details regarding what TMobile is logging. It's not logging details from my OBD port, but it could log location data. I don't run the hotspot with the app which does want more personal data. It can also give you extra functionality tapping into your car, but I don't need any of that. I just want a dumb yet automated hotspot. :)

wirelessandy

It's a very exciting time
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've been pondering an in-car Wifi hotspot in my Tesla Model 3 for my dedicated Android device project for JBV1.

Over the phone with a local store, I verified the inexpensive Verizon Orbic hotspot won't turn on by itself when plugged in, with or without a battery. So much for that idea. Would have been nice.

I got a rooted Pixel 4a I'm working with, and discovered hotspot is an add-on with the plan I'm on. That's my last resort.

The Verizon Hum+ OBD wifi hotspot is another option I looked into, but the phone rep seems to hint that it will not work with my car, even if I get an OBD adapter up and running... In the Tesla Model 3, the OBD/CANBUS harness is hidden under the armrest, accessible from the rear seat floor area. I was going to add an OBD port adapter, but her insistence it would not work is discouraging... and I'm too lazy to just buy and try, only to find she's right.

Yes, the Verizon rep was probably going on script.

Surely there must be other options!

Will the T-Mobile dongle work with just 12V at the pins, and no CANBUS data?

dcova

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I just don't want to have to pay for two data plans - one for the Blackvue LTE module and one for the car's built-in hotspot so the Redline 360c can fully function.

I concur with your concern. My mobile phone provider/plan is Google Fi. Google provides its Fi customers with a data only SIM card at no additional charge and no additional monthly fee and no additional plan. The data used by the SIM card is associated with my phones data plan. It is not a separate plan. Check with your provider and perhaps they have a similar and competitive plan.

Then you have the latitude to install the SIM card into the device of your choice. In my case, I am using the 750-2CH LTE with my SIM card and a B-124X battery. My car has a built-in hot spot and this config worked for me.

Lucky225

Advanced User
Reaction score
I used to experiment with a second dedicated phone, but ran into issues with the phone battery dying over time and the phone not starting back up next time I got in the car.
I got the battery issues worked out. I'm running a Motorola X4 so it's not super new but I literally had the car parked for an entire week and the phone still had battery with the settings and automation I put on it, unfortunately this is why Android is required as it allows this level of customization but I do understand your desires, as you say what's best for one is not necessarily best for everyone :)

Last edited:

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I got the battery issues worked out. I'm running a Motorola X4 so it's not super new but I literally had the car parked for an entire week and the phone still had battery with the settings and automation I put on it, unfortunately this is why Android is required as it allows this level of customization but I do understand your desires, as you say what's best for one is not necessarily best for everyone :)
That's pretty awesome. I can experiment with my newer phone then and see how it fares here. :)

If the battery dies, does the X4 automatically power back on next time it receives power?

Lucky225

Advanced User
Reaction score
That's pretty awesome. I can experiment with my newer phone then and see how it fares here. :)

If the battery dies, does the X4 automatically power back on next time it receives power?
If the battery dies it will go to charging only (requiring you to turn it back on which the phone probably won't even let you do til you get to 5% or more) but that said 1 week+ battery life with my settings and it's very, very unlikely it's going to die if you drive with any regular frequency. Attaching my current flow, if USB power on/charging, turn on BT, wifi, location, turn screen time off to an insane time you'll never reach, if no USB (i.e. your car is off) kill JBV1(obviously this will be dependent on apps you use), (I leave ALP running just because it's annoying and always asks for bluetooth access again if it gets killed and restarted and it doesn't drain any battery running in background), disable all comms location/wifi/bluetooth/etc, set screen timeout to 1 second so it basically turns the screen off as soon as it stops receiving USB charging power, and I also turn on 'battery saver mode' in the android settings and it achieves week+ standby. Obviously adjust as needed, if you're using a google fi data only sim in the phone change wifi to cellular data etc. and use automate to turn it on as a wifi hotspot if that's your goal (I use a wifi hotspot to the phone itself from my regular phone so it doesn't use any cellular at all for me on mine)

1627785973580.png

Attachments

• Automate USB.zip
    324 bytes · Views: 10

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
That's a pretty nice setup. Unfortunately that would only work for tethering while driving though. Have you tested battery life if you leave WiFi on while parked? Like the OP, I'm looking for 24/7 data for the dashcams.

Lucky225

Advanced User
Reaction score
That's a pretty nice setup. Unfortunately that would only work for tethering while driving though. Have you tested battery life if you leave WiFi on while parked? Like the OP, I'm looking for 24/7 data for the dashcams.
Yeah it'll die quick unfortunately accidentally left wifi on when parked due to config being wrong and it died within a day :(

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah it'll die quick unfortunately accidentally left wifi on when parked due to config being wrong and it died within a day :(
Oh good to know. A happy accident I suppose when a misconfig gives us useful data. :D

Yeah that's the tough part about getting data while parked. Getting it only while driving makes things way easier. :)

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdubz