Does running a front plate make you less likely to have PT?

bslaws

Land of Spuds and Gems.
Advanced User
Reaction score
So my thought is that if LEO sees you don't have a front plate, he's going to shoot your headlights or possibly mirrors which may not be as well covered as your front plate. If you have better center mass coverage by your jammers, are you better off running a front plate? Maybe not an easy answer?

GregTec5

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
My thought was the opposite actually.

Does running a front plate make it easier to PT?

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Retroreflective license plates are the largest and most reflective surface area on the vehicle. The second largest and most reflective surface are the rear reflectors, usually located on the bumper of vehicles.

An exception to this may be if the vehicle is covered with a retroreflective vinyl such as emergency and utility vehicles frequently are seen using.

If you want to visualize your vehicle’s reflectivity, take a photo in the dark from ~20 feet back, with the camera flash enabled. It should end up over exposing the reflective surfaces of the plate and reflectors. This will let you see the contrast in the low and highly reflective surfaces.

Marty K

Always Driving Vigilantly
Advanced User
Reaction score
So my thought is that if LEO sees you don't have a front plate, he's going to shoot your headlights or possibly mirrors which may not be as well covered as your front plate. If you have better center mass coverage by your jammers, are you better off running a front plate? Maybe not an easy answer?
That is a very interesting question, I have never thought of it. But now it got me thinking...

The only guess that I can take is that probably it won't make a difference for most of the encounters. And what I mean is the actual distance of most lidar shots - can you really see that far out if the vehicle has a LP? Yes, some lidar units have magnification and it makes a big difference. So I guess it is possible to answer "YES" to your question, but the probability of such is most likely low..

GregTec5

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Retroreflective license plates are the largest and most reflective surface area on the vehicle. The second largest and most reflective surface are the rear reflectors, usually located on the bumper of vehicles.

An exception to this may be if the vehicle is covered with a retroreflective vinyl such as emergency and utility vehicles frequently are seen using.

If you want to visualize your vehicle’s reflectivity, take a photo in the dark from ~20 feet back, with the camera flash enabled. It should end up over exposing the reflective surfaces of the plate and reflectors. This will let you see the contrast in the low and highly reflective surfaces.
So does this mean you should limit this as much as possible?

bslaws

Land of Spuds and Gems.
Advanced User
Reaction score
So, I guess better to run without the front plate. I completely understand how reflective a license plate is. Back in my manufacturing/sewing days, we used to have IR reflective sew on patches as well as regular silver reflective piping that was sew in to various products. I was usually the first one in the plant in the morning and the reflective piping could be seen 300ft across the manufacturing floor with just the facility night lights on.
Reflective IR
Reflective piping

Last edited:

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
So does this mean you should limit this as much as possible?

I personally do. I have painted over my reflectors with color matched paint on both of my vehicles.

For my license plate, I have a clear cover that I have applied two layers of Stealth Veil to on the inside of the plate cover for attenuating the LIDAR reflectivity. I found it looked less obvious by applying it onto a clear plastic cover, than on the plate itself.

kort677

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

no front plate and I have RX units located on the headlights and the rear reflectors were removed for TX sensors.

Attachments

• jam1.jpg
    jam1.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 15
  • jam2.jpg
    jam2.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 16

VariableWave

Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I will go with, what was one educated with, and which LG. All have their PT vs LJs than addressing the targeting, to get you.

With @Kennyc56 and especially @WalterTheRadarWizard9999 a Boss 302 to Tacoma can made a difference by angle vs height. All targets have a signature,.. to find that balance/early warming is what one needs in seconds.
Post automatically merged:

I would go with the twos (jam2), as if has better overall get ya to slow, vs.

By that, early warmimg to algo will give you up to select secs to address delta........... now if you are high delta need to other helpers like JB and HWDR to help.

Last edited:

Disco47

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'd imagine a car with lots of angles would be harder to get a reading for as well. I'm sure my F150 is a sitting duck because of the big flat grille in the front.

VariableWave

Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'd imagine a car with lots of angles would be harder to get a reading for as well. I'm sure my F150 is a sitting duck because of the big flat grille in the front.
Careful, he could be riding an @$$ Ram or other to get his ride....and forget that ranger.. still riding you so lack of.......aka... F that world of you vs.

Did a say 7 or 6.75 ride to 6.10 down and back in 6.20 on a weekend.

Last edited:

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Careful, he could be riding an @$$ Ram or other to get his ride....and forget that ranger.. still riding you so lack of.......aka... F that world of you vs.

Did a say 7 or 6.75 ride to 6.10 down and back in 6.20 on a weekend.
I understood none of that.

GregTec5

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@VariableWave Is this some type of code? I didn't understand any of your post lol.

bslaws

Land of Spuds and Gems.
Advanced User
Reaction score
Maybe he's having a stroke. That's what my grandmother sounded like, just a bunch of gibberish to us but to her it made perfect sense.

Yippeekyaa

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Could this be used to an advantage? If you live in a state without front plates, simply install a fake non reflective front plate simply to make a “bullseye” target that leos are trained to focus on. Could even have a nice frame with the sensors hidden in it. A magicians trick at misdirection so to speak. Attract their attention to the sweet spot for best chance of getting a good jam.

GregTec5

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
1626957045619.png

Lucky225

Advanced User
Reaction score
Could this be used to an advantage? If you live in a state without front plates, simply install a fake non reflective front plate simply to make a “bullseye” target that leos are trained to focus on. Could even have a nice frame with the sensors hidden in it. A magicians trick at misdirection so to speak. Attract their attention to the sweet spot for best chance of getting a good jam.
Several years ago a fellow who goes by Mad Greek had a website CR8APL8 that made fake plastic plates for all 50 states that folks used as a countermeasure for the front plate. Problem was his customer service reputation was horrible and I'm pretty sure he went out of business, at least the website domain no longer works. I'm surprised there's no replacement vendor there are TONS of aluminum fakes on amazon but no one seems to want to do plastic.

Ultrafudd

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Several years ago a fellow who goes by Mad Greek had a website CR8APL8 that made fake plastic plates for all 50 states that folks used as a countermeasure for the front plate. Problem was his customer service reputation was horrible and I'm pretty sure he went out of business, at least the website domain no longer works. I'm surprised there's no replacement vendor there are TONS of aluminum fakes on amazon but no one seems to want to do plastic.
He might have gone out of business because in Illinois, only the Governor makes license plates! 😉

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Livsy