Stinger Laser Relocation Spectacular!

dnanian

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
OK, so that's kind of overselling what's likely to be a relatively boring post.

Starting yesterday, July 20th, my car went back to AVI Boston to have four of its fiber sets relocated. Preview readers may remember the testing done with @NorEaster18, where we had some PTs on the driver's and passenger side (although a subsequent test showed better performance on flatter ground). The diagnosis was that the side fibers, which were under the headlights, were reflecting pretty severely...and the rear fibers were too low.

So - we're attempting to fix it. In the front, we're doing what Stinger's Canadian distributor did when they installed in a Taycan - moving the fibers to the side vents. Here's a picture of their CEO's car, with the locations they selected in front:

image.png

image.png

They didn't do rear laser protection.

Interestingly, his vents are different than mine:

20210720_085550_001.jpg

So AVI is going to have to figure out how to make this work.

The rear is moving from the lower diffuser up to the highest part it can go, above the plate and the parking sensors. Here are some shots from inside the cover:

20210721_120205.jpg

20210721_120212.jpg

And the outside (note that the fibers are coming out a bit to avoid reflections, as suggested by MSC/Stinger):

20210721_120228.jpg

So, more coming when more progress is made, and then I can hopefully get together with @RedRocket and he'll dash my hopes and dreams, but in a nice way. Probably.

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
Excited to do some testing on this when it’s done! The front was getting better as we tested in different scenarios, but I think moving them off to the sides and eliminating the "shelving" from the sloped body panels should help the front. Additionally, raising the rear heads should help tremendously. They were just too low before.

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
So, more coming when more progress is made, and then I can hopefully get together with @RedRocket and he'll dash my hopes and dreams, but in a nice way. Probably.
Now, now -

I've got no axe to grind by finding weakness holes in an install, but it is my job to find them- if they're there ! lol

dnanian

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@RedRocket Bad/rushed phrasing - the "probably" was about the hope and dream dashing, not about the "nice way". :)

(Seriously, looking forward to finding the weaknesses, since I'm sure there'll be something!)

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
Only testing will prove it, but that rear install looks much better

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well, the deed, so to say, is done.
Congrats, looking forward to meeting you n' doing some Testing. Perhaps we can have @NorEaster18 join us to help w/ data recording if he's interested.

btw, been thinking about the challenge to overcome the prohibition Stinger imposes regarding IR output recording of the Fibers...
it can be done...

Mercuriell

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I’d be tempted to touch up the brass rings of the fibres with some Matt black paint to further diminish visibility.

dnanian

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I think during the reinstall we're going to check to see if they can be flush(er). Typically they're fully flush, but they protruded a bit to try to avoid some reflection issues.

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I think during the reinstall we're going to check to see if they can be flush(er). Typically they're fully flush, but they protruded a bit to try to avoid some reflection issues.
I question that, b/c with them mounted flush it will be far more difficult to tell if they're angled w/ an upward bias & more importantly pointed straight forward down the roadway ahead !

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agoose