The things we do to install these systems

Spindrift

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Needed to run 3 wires into a small grommet...No turning back now, fingers crossed!

Attachments

• 20210714_164648.jpg
    20210714_164648.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49

oktavf

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ouch... good luck!

Spindrift

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good wishes! It’ll be a bit before I can reassemble the cables, ordered the wrong connectors! I’ll keep y’all updated!

Ultrafudd

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Get the punch-down tool. RJ45s are a breeze, just make sure you know if it’s an “A” or “B” configuration for the pinout.

Much better than trying to splice that little wire.

Spindrift

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Get the punch-down tool. RJ45s are a breeze, just make sure you know if it’s an “A” or “B” configuration for the pinout.

Much better than trying to splice that little wire.

Great minds think alike! I ordered the wrong connectors, but I plan to just mimic the original connector configuration. No way I was planning on splicing the old connectors back on, giving me hives just thinking about it!

Crazy Horse

Horsepower!!!!
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I wired my whole house with Cat5e cabling before the builders put up the sheetrock. It was a long 3-4 days but I was an expert on RJ45 crimping before I was done. Agreeing with the others on the crimping tool - it makes things a breeze.

CMfan

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Why not cut the cable away from the connector, and then solder it back?

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
RJ45s are a breeze, just make sure you know if it’s an “A” or “B” configuration for the pinout.
Might be a proprietary pinout. Matching existing colors should work fine though.
Why not cut the cable away from the connector, and then solder it back?
That seems messier to me. You should cut each inside wire staggered so that the new connections are not laying next to each other and then you have to seal each wire connection and then seal all the wires. Ignore the distances mentioned in the image below.
Much easier to cut off the end and crimp on a new one in 10 seconds.
TM-9-2320-302-20_187_1.jpg

Last edited:

Spindrift

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I wired my whole house with Cat5e cabling before the builders put up the sheetrock. It was a long 3-4 days but I was an expert on RJ45 crimping before I was done. Agreeing with the others on the crimping tool - it makes things a breeze.
I found a Sargent RJ11/RJ45 crimper on ebay, best 15 bucks I've ever spent! FYI for anyone doing this, you need RJ11 6C6P ends, not 4C4P like I bought. Here is a great resource as well:

volaray

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Haha I hear you. I went the opposite direction, though. Little bit of sanding, touch up paint, reapply the trim. Like it ain't no thang!
20210711_194746~2.jpg

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Livsy