TMG Head Placement Question

usna93

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Asking the group since I couldn't find a recent post in this TMG section that addressed this. Is the width separation of the heads more important than height off the ground or vice versa? The TMG manual says to keep separation 20-32 inches apart at the same height as the license plate. My previous system (not TMG) was located where the red circles are and worked great all the years I had that system. But separation is 18" between heads (and 28" off the ground). I can mount them lower on the bumper (where the black intakes are) (yellow circles), in-line with the Acura logo and get the recommended 20" separation. But I recall reading concerns during my first install about not mounting too low to the ground...if I mounted my TMG sensors in the bottom intakes they would be 16" from the ground. I don't know if the parking sensors of today are not impacted by mounting that low, unlike the older system I had....not sure but I couldn't find any guidance on height of TMG heads. (I can fit my VPR head nicely under the Acura emblem if desired.) Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Attachments

• 2005 Acura TL Front_LI (2).jpg
    2005 Acura TL Front_LI (2).jpg
    645.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
First off, can you give us some more information about what type of guns you're going up against regularly? Also, how many heads of each type do you have dedicated to this project?

This vehicle does pose a small challenge regarding coverage with just 2 heads. That said, if you only have 2 heads, I would continue to utilize the spots you have highlighted with the red circles. I'm thinking the ideal configuration for this vehicle may be actually 4 standard heads, and no VPR head; move the yellow ones further out ever so slightly, and keep the red ones where they're at. This should help give you better receive coverage on the outer edges of the vehicle.

usna93

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
First off, can you give us some more information about what type of guns you're going up against regularly? Also, how many heads of each type do you have dedicated to this project?

This vehicle does pose a small challenge regarding coverage with just 2 heads. That said, if you only have 2 heads, I would continue to utilize the spots you have highlighted with the red circles. I'm thinking the ideal configuration for this vehicle may be actually 4 standard heads, and no VPR head; move the yellow ones further out ever so slightly, and keep the red ones where they're at. This should help give you better receive coverage on the outer edges of the vehicle.
Thanks for the reply! The short answer is that I'm not sure what guns I'm up against these days. The slightly longer version is b/c in my old jamming system, the audio speaker went out so I only knew I'd be targeted through my V1 and didn't know what lidar guns. 2 years ago when it was last working I thought I heard DE...and at the time I was still encountering PL3s and PL4s.
To your 2nd question, I have the dual head package with the VPR head....no rear protection. If I'm not hearing any risks with lower placement, then I may start with that so I can get the width requirement. I don't mind tinkering with placement but I'm ideally trying to get it correct the first time before my upcoming road trips since I've been time pressed to work on the project in general. I did say several install pics on different cars but didn't quite see the height question addressed as far as effectiveness/degradation in performance. Thanks again for taking the time to reply!
Post automatically merged:

I like @sdrawkcaB suggestion. I'd start with the red location and then test the setup and adjust as needed.
Thank you for taking the time to reply!

usna93

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Apologies if this question is considered a duplicate to another one I asked in another area but, although I got 2 pieces of great advice and perspectives, the original questions I have still lingers and I think this might be the better forum for it anyway.
I'll be installing a TMG dual system and VPR head on a 4 door sedan.

When considering mounting my TMG heads, is spacing between them from a width perspective more important or less important than height off the ground for best coverage? What is the impact of mounting the heads too low and what exactly is "too low"?

For more context, if I mount my dual heads in Location #1, they will be 18" apart (not the 20" recommended in the manual) and 27"-28" off the ground.
If I mount my dual heads in Location #2, they will be 22-24"" apart but 14"-15" off the ground. The VPR head will be center of vehicle and 22" off the ground.
In Location #1 the distance between the heads and VPR head is about 9.5".
In Location #2, the distance between the heads and VPR head would be about 14".
I know I'll need to test the setup regardless but was hoping to do the install in the most ideal Location the first time. Thanks in advance for sharing your insights.

V1Jake

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
What vehicle is this for?

AllspeedJeff

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Apologies if this question is considered a duplicate to another one I asked in another area but, although I got 2 pieces of great advice and perspectives, the original questions I have still lingers and I think this might be the better forum for it anyway.
I'll be installing a TMG dual system and VPR head on a 4 door sedan.

When considering mounting my TMG heads, is spacing between them from a width perspective more important or less important than height off the ground for best coverage? What is the impact of mounting the heads too low and what exactly is "too low"?

For more context, if I mount my dual heads in Location #1, they will be 18" apart (not the 20" recommended in the manual) and 27"-28" off the ground.
If I mount my dual heads in Location #2, they will be 22-24"" apart but 14"-15" off the ground. The VPR head will be center of vehicle and 22" off the ground.
In Location #1 the distance between the heads and VPR head is about 9.5".
In Location #2, the distance between the heads and VPR head would be about 14".
I know I'll need to test the setup regardless but was hoping to do the install in the most ideal Location the first time. Thanks in advance for sharing your insights.
Please let us know what vehicle you’re working with, so we can help you with placement

V1Jake

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Low placement like that has tested fine(Stalker, not DE) on a Chevy Volt I think--I don't remember which member, perhaps in Hawaii? @Jag42
Also if you have Gen 3 heads they are supposed to have greater sensitivity. I am not aware of any testing of this yet. Testing is scheduled in a couple of weeks on the East coast though.

Where are you located?

usna93

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Please let us know what vehicle you’re working with, so we can help you with placement
It's 2005 Acura TL. Picture of front is below. Red circles denote Location #1 option. Yellow circles denote Location #2 option. Thank you. I used to have LI's where the red circles were and it worked great for years....but not VPR head back then. :)

Attachments

• 2005 Acura TL Front_LI (2).jpg
    2005 Acura TL Front_LI (2).jpg
    645.4 KB · Views: 9

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Personally I would go with the red circles, dragoneye will have weak spots with either placement, but everything else that they cover should do ok there.

usna93

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Personally I would go with the red circles, dragoneye will have weak spots with either placement, but everything else that they cover should do ok there.
Thank you for the response. Any experience, directly or 2nd hand, of whether the width or height lends to better performance assuming the different setups were tried on the same vehicle? I am deducing through all my readings that there was a slight leaning towards being higher (headlight level) vs lower as long as the heads weren't too close together. And I read enough about the ALP VPR needing to be, I think it was, 20" off the ground. Anyway, no worries if you didn't have experience with it. Just thought I'd ask. Thank you again.

usna93

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Low placement like that has tested fine(Stalker, not DE) on a Chevy Volt I think--I don't remember which member, perhaps in Hawaii? @Jag42
Also if you have Gen 3 heads they are supposed to have greater sensitivity. I am not aware of any testing of this yet. Testing is scheduled in a couple of weeks on the East coast though.

Where are you located?
Thanks so much for the info and taking the time to reply. That's the kind of data point I was looking for since I haven't found it before. I'm sometimes in MI and sometimes in KS depending on work/family, etc. As far as Gen 3 heads, I bought my system right before the Gen 3 announcement came out...by mere days. I've read about possible a possible upgrade program and hopefully since my purchase was so recent, I'd be eligible esp. if the advantage over the Gen 2 is significant. Many thanks again!

usna93

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
FYI, Kansas City may use DE if you are in that area.
I thought they used it here...I recall my old LI's even gave me an audible on DE but I wasn't 100% certain since it wasn't clear.

The Pope

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@usna93 , as it has been mentioned before, the red locations would be better for DE.

Now to your question about low mounting......
There have been issues with "reflection" from the ground, I believe when heads are mounted too low. Now how low is too low, well.... testing is the only way to find that out. Now, if the lower location is the only option for a particular vehicle, there are ways to reduce the "reflection" by slightly angling the head up (1 to 5 degs max IMPO). The downside to angling the heads up is that if you're cresting a hill and there's an officer tagging people just as they crest. Again, testing would be the only way to verify the setup.

usna93

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@usna93 , as it has been mentioned before, the red locations would be better for DE.

Now to your question about low mounting......
There have been issues with "reflection" from the ground, I believe when heads are mounted too low. Now how low is too low, well.... testing is the only way to find that out. Now, if the lower location is the only option for a particular vehicle, there are ways to reduce the "reflection" by slightly angling the head up (1 to 5 degs max IMPO). The downside to angling the heads up is that if you're cresting a hill and there's an officer tagging people just as they crest. Again, testing would be the only way to verify the setup.
Great points. Too bad there's no one close by to test DE with...I do have my trusty PL3 though!
Post automatically merged:

Let us know when you test, especially vs. DE guns…
I will. I may have a trip up north coming up and if so I'll see if there are testers who I can connect with.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Livsy