Radar Detector Recommendation for AMG Neo

Neo

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
What kind of vehicle you have?
2021 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio

Do you want a remote mount or windshield mount detector?
Windshield, Remote Mount

What's your budget?
$500

Where do you live and where do you primarily drive?
Orange County, CA. Highway driving mostly and some city/neighborhood.

How do you drive?
Not speed demon but love testing my car a bit

What is your daily drive like?
Short trips but will start driving from CA to AZ in the next year

How long you have been using countermeasures, if at all?

What is the terrain like where you normally drive?

Flat

Are there red light and/or speed cams in your area?
No

Do you need / prefer a GPS enabled unit?
Yes

Are you willing/do you want to use your phone to pair with the RD?
Yes

What kind of device do you own or would use for your detector?
iOS

Do you face MRCD and/or MRCT in your area?
Unsure

If you have any preconceived notions or thoughts about RDs, please tell us how long you've been using RDs or other units? etc. -- or any other relevant info you think might be important, let us know that as well.
Been using them for 5 years. The biggest thing for me is highway road trips. I’m not sure if AZ (where I’m moving next…Scottsdale area) uses red light cams or anything like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
R7 or V1G2.

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Corgi Lovers
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If you like pairing your detector with an app, the V1G2 is your detector. If you're looking for a standalone detector it will be the R7. California is almost all Ka Band and they're both strong performers so you can't really go wrong.

If you ever get the "bug" to run a separate Android device then make sure that you check out the JBV1 app. A V1G2 paired with JBV1 make a formidable pair.

Finally, don't forget that the CHP uses Lidar so running Waze will help you. Although it's not as good as running Laser Jammers, it will help to cover that base for you.

Last edited:

Neo

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
If you don’t use the app for V1G2, wouldn’t it still be a great detector?

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yes, it's a good detector standalone. Whenever my wife takes my car, she doesn't have an app on her phone to connect to it, so it's standalone at that point. She has had zero complaints. In fact, she told me she wants one like it.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
The answer to your question depends almost entirely on what you need for features.

Without a secondary device, the G2 lacks GPS functionality which is more important in areas where you may face K band (lockouts/auto lockouts) or if you want speed based muting functionality for any reason. These are features that come built-in to the R7.

With a phone and app, the G2's API along with the functionality of an app is much more feature-rich than the R7.

Take away any feature concerns and just put them up to each other on raw detection sensitivity and they are almost neck and neck, with a slight edge to the G2 on Ka band and better performance on K band to the R7.

As for subjective concerns, I feel that the G2 is a higher quality and generally more consistent. That being said, I haven't found my R7 to be lacking performance.

Personally, I prefer running the G2 and most of the reason why is JBV1.

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yes, I agree, you are down to 2 detectors.
It may help to know that the V1G2 is more invisible to cops due to it's magnesium case.
Also it may help that the r7 is about $100 cheaper than the g2.
Either will do the job.

Reactions: Neo

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yes, I agree, you are down to 2 detectors.
It may help to know that the V1G2 is more invisible to cops due to it's magnesium case.
Also it may help that the r7 is about $100 cheaper than the g2.
Either will do the job.
The problem is the R7 isn't 100 dollars cheaper. It lists at the same price as the V1G2, and can be found cheaper at times, usually around 50 dollars cheaper.

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The problem is the R7 isn't 100 dollars cheaper. It lists at the same price as the V1G2, and can be found cheaper at times, usually around 50 dollars cheaper.
I'm aware that prices vary. When I bought my r7 in May that's what my research revealed on my options for import to Ireland. :beer:

But I acknowledge that timing, research and availability can change things.😇

I doubt price will be the deciding factor between these 2 detectors for AMG Neo according to his budget.🙂

Neo

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help!
Post automatically merged:

The answer to your question depends almost entirely on what you need for features.

Without a secondary device, the G2 lacks GPS functionality which is more important in areas where you may face K band (lockouts/auto lockouts) or if you want speed based muting functionality for any reason. These are features that come built-in to the R7.

With a phone and app, the G2's API along with the functionality of an app is much more feature-rich than the R7.

Take away any feature concerns and just put them up to each other on raw detection sensitivity and they are almost neck and neck, with a slight edge to the G2 on Ka band and better performance on K band to the R7.

As for subjective concerns, I feel that the G2 is a higher quality and generally more consistent. That being said, I haven't found my R7 to be lacking performance.

Personally, I prefer running the G2 and most of the reason why is JBV1.
Thanks for this. I have never seen police use x or K band in CA or AZ. Does anyone on here just turn X and K off on their radars?

Last edited:

LaughingCrow

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
What kind of vehicle you have?
2021 GLC 63 AMG SUV
Nice whip, mate. I've been an AMG fan for a long time. BTW, I run a V1G2 in my 2021 GLA45 with the SAAVY ODBII connection. On longer trips I run the JBV1 app from the car's wi-fi, on short hops I use V1 Driver

Neo

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Nice whip, mate. I've been an AMG fan for a long time. BTW, I run a V1G2 in my 2021 GLA45 with the SAAVY ODBII connection. On longer trips I run the JBV1 app from the car's wi-fi, on short hops I use V1 Driver
Can you use the JBV1 with an iPhone? Also, do you have ur g2 mounted on windshield and hardwired?

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Corgi Lovers
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Can you use the JBV1 with an iPhone? Also, do you have ur g2 mounted on windshield and hardwired?

Regretfully, JBV1 is an Android device only app. However, many iOS users have purchased a standalone Android device that we connect to the hotspot on our iOS device just so that we can run JBV1. ;)

I'll let @LaughingCrow speak to how he has mounted his detector.

Reactions: Neo

LaughingCrow

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I used the windshield mount supplied with the detector. I connected it via the optional SAVVY that plugs into the ODBII port. As jestric mentioned, JBV1 is Android only, and like you, I am an iOS user. I purchased a NOKIA phone solely for JBV1and keep it mounted on a Proclip mount. I use my car's wi-fi for connection to the internet, my last AMG didn't have wi-fi so I used the iPhone's hotspot

Neo

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
And is the general consensus that gen2 has better K filtering than R7?
Post automatically merged:

And is the general consensus that gen2 has better K filtering than R7?
I am leaning towards the v1g2, thank you everyone!

Last edited:

Neo

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Ordered a gen 2 today and picked up a stelvio quad which blendmount makes a Mount for unlike the AMG

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agoose