Close call with laser (no alert?)

IsItWorthIt

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
According to this graphic the beam diameter at 600 ft is 1.8 m (interesting the graphic mixes imperial and metric units). So lets say the beam was 2.0 m at 700 ft. If LEO centers the beam on the license plate there would be 1 m of beam above the plate. I’d guess the distance from the LP to the top of the windshield is within 1 m on most sedans, but maybe not for SUVs.

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
According to this graphic the beam diameter at 600 ft is 1.8 m (interesting the graphic mixes imperial and metric units). So lets say the beam was 2.0 m at 700 ft. If LEO centers the beam on the license plate there would be 1 m of beam above the plate. I’d guess the distance from the LP to the top of the windshield is within 1 m on most sedans, but maybe not for SUVs.
That's 1.8 m (Meters) at 600 m (Meters). It's all metric.

70 inches at 1968 feet away.

Most shots are usually 1000 feet (304 meters) and closer.

That's why we say the typical spread is 36" at 1000'. That 0.9 is 35.43 inches

At 500', your looking at 18".

9C1Driver

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
That's 1.8 m (Meters) at 600 m (Meters). It's all metric.

70 inches at 1968 feet away.

Most shots are usually 1000 feet (304 meters) and closer.

That's why we say the typical spread is 36" at 1000'. That 0.9 is 35.43 inches

At 500', your looking at 18".

Yup. And if the officer was on his game by not leaving the laser gun on while he raked from car to car, aimed low or at a headlight and was not shaky it's very believable the V2 was silent. It happens, some here just refuse to accept this concept.

beachump

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
While testing with a TSS, my v2 almost never alerts to it unless I keep it aimed at the w/s.

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
While testing with a TSS, my v2 almost never alerts to it unless I keep it aimed at the w/s.
Interesting. My V1G2 will not alert to my TSS at all. It’s the only detector I own that doesn’t alert to this gun.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
It was Ohio State Police the second time and maybe Cincinnati PD or the local county Sheriff the first time.

I have no idea what lidar guns they were using.

Sorry no video.

Went back though the logs and the first lidar shot wasn't there so he may have been shooting someone else at the time, thus no hit.

The second was a full scale hit according to the log. View attachment 183272
That seems to be a rear lidar hit according to the yellow line underneath it.

hifibrucep

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
My V1G2 alerted when I had my ALP system tested against a DE on my Ford Explorer ST. My V1G2 is mounted with a blend mount on the mirror. I was surprised that it gave me an alert since the detector sits so high

beachump

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
With PL3's specs showing roughly a 3' beam at 1000', my ALP's were receiving it as if an 18' beam at 1000. ( as soon as I tripod aimed it towards the Rx head, it activated 9' away) Scatter for different guns along with sensativity for Rx heads would be some interesting specs. During the same test, the TSS was received as if an 8' beam.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Livsy