I swear I searched..

upstatedoc

unprofessional
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
So apparently I need a new windshield mount for my V1G2. The mount does not bite into the teeth of the unit so it just slides freely. <insert joke here>. Called valentine and they are sending a free one with a return envelope for the bad one. I asked Mikes wife if this was an "issue" and she said that they have had a few returned but that they could not replicate the problem. hmmmm..

SilenceDogoodNinja

SDN
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Glad to hear the Valentine is taking care of you on this issue. I don't recall reading about this being an issue for others but maybe @Bloovy One knows

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
ModSec
Administrator
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
So apparently I need a new windshield mount for my V1G2. The mount does not bite into the teeth of the unit so it just slides freely. <insert joke here>. Called valentine and they are sending a free one with a return envelope for the bad one. I asked Mikes wife if this was an "issue" and she said that they have had a few returned but that they could not replicate the problem. hmmmm..
I've had this happen on my g2. It turned out the screws were not tight on the g2 so the rail that the mount rides in was just a wee bit too wide.

After tightening the screws on the g2, it was fine

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Glad to hear the Valentine is taking care of you on this issue. I don't recall reading about this being an issue for others but maybe @Bloovy One knows
I have heard of a few but no follow up that I can remember.
Might be the occasional plastic molding issue for the bracket or possibly looser than ideal screws as SquirrelMaster suggested.

The screws are Torx T-7 if anyone wants to try that. :) Hand tight should be fine.
Post automatically merged:

I'd be interested in hearing if you see any differences in the two parts. :)

Last edited:

VariableWave

Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have this issue as well, but isn't a problem for me as the detector does not slide out of position. You can hear a slide click as it slides, and does help with removal a little easier.

WildOne

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I had this problem with my visor mount this past week. It was the first time I used it as I usually use the windshield mount. It was in my son's jeep whose windshield is almost vertical. I thought it was broken. I finally got it to work by pushing it just a little further and harder until it clicked. After that it was fine. The windshield mount should engage pretty quickly though.

Bloovy One

Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I now use the visor mount with a bracket I made that anchors to the visor clip.
It's different to have the clipping mechanism on the sides instead of on top like the suction cup mount.

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah my V1G2 suction cup mount doesn't hold the detector in place. It slides backwards fairly regularly, angling itself up at the sky. Pretty annoying considering it's just barely six months old, but I've always just put up with it.

biolink

Corgi Lovers
Intermediate User
Reaction score
How do you know who you talked to?

89q2hiu54warefs

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
i had this happen, you can flex it in the reverse way a tiny bit and it fixes the issue. Fixed it once and months later it's been fine.

Bloovy One

Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah my V1G2 suction cup mount doesn't hold the detector in place. It slides backwards fairly regularly, angling itself up at the sky. Pretty annoying considering it's just barely six months old, but I've always just put up with it.
That's not right at all. It seems likely that they would like the opportunity to fix it for you. Can you post any pics of the latch portion or anything? I forgot that you had been having this issue.

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
That's not right at all. It seems likely that they would like the opportunity to fix it for you. Can you post any pics of the latch portion or anything? I forgot that you had been having this issue.
Here are some pictures. It looks fairly normal to me at least, but for some reason it just doesn’t want to click into place and slides around in the mount. The only position where it clicks into place is the last one, and that’s aiming up at the sky. It’s done this for a while now.

I’m unsure if it’s because of the mount or the windshield rake (my Uniden mounts also have trouble on this windshield). It’s not the end of the world, as the detector still functions, but it can get a little bit annoying when I accelerate hard and it aims itself at the sky. Other than this, the mount really is a fantastic design.

It’s worth noting that the visor mount works properly and clicks into each notch.
4A3FBFED-BAB3-4BCD-A613-6A47631CC5A0.jpeg

C01257FF-CBBF-4215-850E-15F41B1FDA8F.jpeg

E1B46688-C4A3-429E-BA68-947A61B8B6E0.jpeg

Last edited:

WildOne

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Here are some pictures. It looks fairly normal to me at least, but for some reason it just doesn’t want to click into place and slides around in the mount. The only position where it clicks into place is the last one, and that’s aiming up at the sky. It’s done this since for a while now.

I’m unsure if it’s because of the mount or the windshield rake (my Uniden mounts also have trouble on this windshield). It’s not the end of the world, as the detector still functions, but it can get a little bit annoying when I accelerate hard and it aims itself at the sky. Other than this, the mount really is a fantastic design.

It’s worth noting that the visor mount works properly and clicks into each notch.
View attachment 182272
View attachment 182273
View attachment 182274
I'd try bending it like @89q2hiu54warefs suggested or maybe put a piece of folded paper under the release tab. Just enough to apply some pressure to that tab.

Bloovy One

Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Interesting. You might make sure the screws are tight on the V1. Also, it almost looks like the plastic is warped a little on that tab. When engaged, it appears to be sticking up a bit still.
plastic.jpeg

I've had parts where I heated up the pivot point of plastic and adjusted it until it cools to "unwarp" it. In any case, I'd contact VR about it. :)

upstatedoc

unprofessional
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

upstatedoc

unprofessional
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
update: the new mount works great. the prepaid envelope VR sent me to return the defective one is short $0.15 on postage. I dont wanna go to the post office for 15 cents. should I just tape a nickle and a dime to the envelope?

:p

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
i had this happen, you can flex it in the reverse way a tiny bit and it fixes the issue. Fixed it once and months later it's been fine.
You beat me to it! If you bend it against the grain, it will start clicking and locking into place again. Hopefully now that I have 2 V1G2's, I won't be moving them around anymore, well at least not the one in the Boss 302! I installed my new G2 with a perm. mount that bolts to the mount where the cups normally go. I got 2 of them from @infin and now it's just as solid as all of my R1's and Redline-O's are on their perm Ebay tape mounts. This one uses 3M tape and it's wedge shaped and fits the angle of my windshield perfectly! Problem solved! I'm using the other one with Scotch Lock Velcro so that I can remove my other G2 for testing and moving it to my other drive to work car.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itfitz