Where does Google maps get its info?

volaray

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I was navigating with google maps today and it alerted me to a "mobile speed camera ahead"... Twice. Of course, there was nothing there.

Some cities in my province have MRCD cams, but it's municipally managed and my city does not have any (that I know of... Oh boy, let's just assume that's true for this post). We have some red light cams but they are permanent and marked.

Is Google pulling data from Waze? Could this be a poorly submitted police sighting in Waze that google maps is picking up? I'm perplexed...

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Google owns Waze.

Last I knew Google gets the speeds/RLCs from machine learning, and that being said I recall it uses data sources from users phones (androids typically), and government data... prob all classified to some extent.

SafetyStealth

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
You are able to report using google maps now in a similar fashion to Waze. I'm not sure if there is any data sharing between the two, I find Google maps usually has less alerts than Waze but this is purely observation. It'd be nice if they shared data... with apple maps rolling out police reporting functionality soon, I don't want to have to have 3 apps open...

volaray

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Google owns Waze.

Last I knew Google gets the speeds/RLCs from machine learning, and that being said I recall it uses data sources from users phones (androids typically), and government data... prob all classified to some extent.
Well that settles that I guess.
I don't want to have to have 3 apps open...
Yeah, I'm with you. Google maps is (IMO) by far the best navigation app, Waze for reporting, etc. I wonder if I can somehow figure out if they share data - a google search is sparse on answers.

westwind77

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm with you. Google maps is (IMO) by far the best navigation app, Waze for reporting, etc.
Waze is useless for navigating when starting up and navigating out of smaller parking lots, that being said the town installed two new 'traffic circles' a couple months ago - they were instantly on Waze for navigation, they have yet to make it to google maps. Google still tells you to take a left...into oncoming traffic! They may have the same ownership but are run very different it seems.

Axatax

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Google owns Waze.

How does that work exactly?

Crazy Horse

Horsepower!!!!
Intermediate User
Reaction score
How does that work exactly?
Every driver that is using Google maps is transmitting their location, rate of movement, etc. to Google. From the thousands of such observations every second, Google employs machine learning algorithms to make its system "learn" and adapt to be able to predict outcomes, like how long will it take you to get from point A to point B. This is of course done dynamically as readings and situations change constantly.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Livsy