R7 Custom Firmware! Development in progress. How you can help!

VideosFromNH

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Sure. Future detectors from all manufacturers including Uniden will have bluetooth integrated, meaning no need for people to spend time and money making external hardware dongles.
That was generically disappointing. Was hoping for more detailed info on certain detectors.
Not wanting to hijack the thread, I'll show myself out.

Riptide

Recovering M3 Addict
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
add Bel tones plz
kthxbai

G39x

Huntin' Rabbits
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I think the Bluetooth dongle is a great idea if it can be done and if it could be done, we could put jbv1 or HR and run it from our phones, and possibly report police reports automatically via Sabre (I assume during arrow transition). Sounds interesting, can’t wait for any developments on this.

jonup

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Sure. Future detectors from all manufacturers including Uniden will have bluetooth integrated, meaning no need for people to spend time and money making external hardware dongles.
Retrofitting the tons of R7s and R3s is still worth.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Retrofitting the tons of R7s and R3s is still worth.

Yes but for ease of development I'd wait until the new detectors are out so you can use the same chipset in the dongle.

RayC

Driving
Beginner User
Reaction score
What new detectors?
Has there been any news on a new uniden WM unit coming out soon? As for BT connection with all the features built into the R7 outside of maybe firmware updates or setting changes I am not sure how much a typical user would get out of it given the R7 has pretty much all the essential features already baked in with a really good display that provides the user with pretty much everything you need as it is. Not saying it can't be improved as some may prefer some additional enhancements. I don't think there is any downside to doing it. The V1 certainly benefits greatly from the blutooth more than any other unit would just due to it's baked in feature set being limited without an external device running concurrently with it.

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Has there been any news on a new uniden WM unit coming out soon? As for BT connection with all the features built into the R7 outside of maybe firmware updates or setting changes I am not sure how much a typical user would get out of it given the R7 has pretty much all the essential features already baked in with a really good display that provides the user with pretty much everything you need as it is. Not saying it can't be improved as some may prefer some additional enhancements. I don't think there is any downside to doing it. The V1 certainly benefits greatly from the blutooth more than any other unit would just due to it's baked in feature set being limited without an external device running concurrently with it.
I haven’t heard of any new detectors from Uniden which is why I asked. Unless Jon knows something we don’t, I wouldn’t stop the development of a BT dongle for the Uniden, assuming it can be done.

jonup

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
An app UI will make changes to all the settings much easier. This is the main concern I have heard from people about the lack of BT/App for R7. With all the customization, an app will make things so much easier.

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Redline 0
Just for reference, people use RLo or RL-o as a reference to the “original” Redline design. I realize that some might count from zero, but that’s the letter O being used.

gaslighting
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@SchoolZone

A lot of what you indicated is already being done.

I have developed the International platform of the R7 independently of Uniden, so a lot of this can already be done. However, I think you underestimate the complexities of writing new firmware for the R7 and getting it installed on the detector. If you had a clean slate to work from with all the R7 components trust me, that would actually be easier.

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I haven’t heard of any new detectors from Uniden which is why I asked. Unless Jon knows something we don’t, I wouldn’t stop the development of a BT dongle for the Uniden, assuming it can be done.
I think there is speculation of the R9.. would be cool to see that.. or a R7G2

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@SchoolZone

I have developed the International platform of the R7 independently of Uniden, so a lot of this can already be done. However, I think you underestimate the complexities of writing new firmware for the R7 and getting it installed on the detector. If you had a clean slate to work from with all the R7 components trust me, that would actually be easier.

I don't think you'd stand much chance without knowing how the firmware needs to be prepared. Currently this is broken into separate parts with each part encrypted separately. For most of the firmware parts, the encrypted transfer is send through to the detector and only decrypted on the detector.

Assuming you can make the tools to decrypt the separate parts of the firmware, you'd also need to then use something like Ghidra to help you work through it all. On average takes me several hundred hours of coding to prepare a new firmware update. I'm currently testing build 13 on Int v138 which is now nearly ready for release.

yycast

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
1) Not sure if this is possible, but in the update software, a place to insert a custom block frequency for drivers with nanny systems so the RD ignores their own vehicle.

2) For my own selfish reasons.... Because K band isn't used around my city except for Redflex cameras, a setting to turn off all K band except for the VERY low reflex range so I can keep K band at 100% for best hopes of catching the camera more than 5 feet before the kill zone.

SchoolZone

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@SchoolZone

I understand, I haven't looked into your work, but I'm sure it's great and it's working out well. I have some tools at my disposal that may not be available to many. Injectors that make things happen with more simplicity. For example an fpga chip of a dac/amp *chord mojo* was compromised in 20 minutes with these tool, bilateral patches can be done instead, therefore unrequited to rebuild fw,. I will be back home from my current work contract in abiut 7 days and I can start working on it and giving you a version so yiu can see.

The more I look into this detector the more I see just how simple the computing capabilities is. Hardware as far as processor is really bad. It limits features you could do and I see a problem where you have to choose your flavor. So Ill make a few different fw aimed at different scopes. The outer build of this thing(unrelated to subject at hard) really is pretty poor. I have old toothbrushes, electric, that are better built.

What does this international build yiu have done do differently? Yes I understand starting from scratch is harder, luckily I won't be doing that. As far as decoding.... It can be clones to decode outside source and introduced back in... It's more of a tool availability that I have at hand.

But I need to understand how radar detectors work, what's good in them, what makes it detect per say, how does it compute falses ect.. Without more insight I can't make a quality fw... I got lots to read but this forums is great, and people are so helpful! I love it.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
I understand, I haven't looked into your work, but I'm sure it's great and it's working out well. I have some tools at my disposal that may not be available to many. Injectors that make things happen with more simplicity. For example an fpga chip of a dac/amp *chord mojo* was compromised in 20 minutes with these tool, bilateral patches can be done instead, therefore unrequited to rebuild fw,. I will be back home from my current work contract in abiut 7 days and I can start working on it and giving you a version so yiu can see.

The more I look into this detector the more I see just how simple the computing capabilities is. Hardware as far as processor is really bad. It limits features you could do and I see a problem where you have to choose your flavor. So Ill make a few different fw aimed at different scopes. The outer build of this thing(unrelated to subject at hard) really is pretty poor. I have old toothbrushes, electric, that are better built.

What does this international build yiu have done do differently? Yes I understand starting from scratch is harder, luckily I won't be doing that. As far as decoding.... It can be clones to decode outside source and introduced back in... It's more of a tool availability that I have at hand.

But I need to understand how radar detectors work, what's good in them, what makes it detect per say, how does it compute falses ect.. Without more insight I can't make a quality fw... I got lots to read but this forums is great, and people are so helpful! I love it.

Did you redo the dsp on the Mojo? I never looked at the bitstream (assumed it would be impossible) but always found Rob Watt's statements a bit suspicious about certain aspects of how he did things.

I have actually thought about making a FPGA based DAC as it's my suspicion that the DSP in the industry is absolutely elementary compared to radar, but I haven't had time to study it.

Last edited:

SchoolZone

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Did you redo the dsp on the Mojo? I never looked at the bitstream but always found Rob Watt's statements a bit suspicious about certain aspects of how he did things.
He does have a portion blocked to its possibilty of any edit. You can build around but it's right there always doing its thing. You can counter the instruction but it's still there costing resource. I mainly made it draw more power. The Hugo tt2... That was able to be made magic

He makes damn good chips, but limits them, so much so, as to go out of his way to do so

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
1) Not sure if this is possible, but in the update software, a place to insert a custom block frequency for drivers with nanny systems so the RD ignores their own vehicle.

2) For my own selfish reasons.... Because K band isn't used around my city except for Redflex cameras, a setting to turn off all K band except for the VERY low reflex range so I can keep K band at 100% for best hopes of catching the camera more than 5 feet before the kill zone.
International 138 already has custom K blocks implemented. 138 Int also has user definable K limits. In NZ we only have redflex that use K band, that's why this feature is useful to us. But also in America and Canada, rather than being limited to just K Extended, K Wide or K narrow you can set your own limits between 23.900 and 24.250, and with exclusion or inclusion between the limits.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itfitz