R7 Custom Firmware! Development in progress. How you can help!

SchoolZone

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
As a software security developer, exploit discovery and military cyber security adviser. As a side hobby, I create custom firmwares for (up to now, dac/amps in the audio world to improve performance, portable cameras to improve performance, car interfaces ect..
Now as I enter radar detector world and have the r7 (coming from the Redline 0) I want to further exploit this device to what could offer us performance with custom wishes.
The Redline 0 back in 2018, I've created a custom fw that allowed to scan for ka at double the rate of scan, at an expense of overtemperature. What good it did, I don't know. But here is why.

I enjoy doing it. I only have the r7 now and will only wish to work on the R7.
I've briefly looked at the source code and it's security was laughable, it is a detector after all, additionally it's far easier vs the Redline 0 as this r7 has the pc program to load firmwares with so a custom one doesn't need to be created.

I don't know much about detectors, what's good in them, what isn't. But I know vast amounts of info on software and it's peripherals.

Things I want:

1.)I want the r7 to scan through the ka bands at double the rate, (hopefully) this depends on how hot it can get before physical damage of hardware can take. I must slowly find that out while testing. I was able to gd the r0 safely, at 1.82x the speed over the regular settings.

2.) I want the r7 to be able to load custom sound fonts. Just for fun.

3.). Increase the sensitivity of the r7(even though it's range is good and doesn't need more), this comes at expense at potential false ka alerts but most importantly processor allocation, temperature.

I can get this done in about 2 weeks as I work off and on 30 Mins, here and there.

Things I need to know before I attempt.

Is this current latest version running smoothly for you guys? Does anyone experience any instability issues ie: random shut offs, crashes, reboots, ect ect?

What do you guys want to see, what should I prioritize?
Note: as the latch-on compiler pointed, this doesn't void warranty simply because one can load official FW onto the device prior to shipping off to uniden.
Let me know what you think.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
FW v133.x seemed pretty stable, IMO. The FW v1.35 introduced a new feature of auto lockouts with FW v1.37 making some changes to K Band filtering.

If you were to add features, enabling serial communication over the cable would be neat, especially if you could have a bluetooth adapter that could allow mobile app developers to communicate with it. That may be a tall order I realize, but I'm sure it'd be a popular feature. I know @SquirrelMaster is a hardware pro and knows how to design circuits as well as do some firmware programming. @Mithheru has done some modifications to the firmware to add K Band segmentation to some of the regional firmware versions that did not have it. He's also got a database of camera locations that he manually has compiled and puts into a format specific for the R7 to import, specializing in international regions.

SchoolZone

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
FW v133.x seemed pretty stable, IMO. The FW v1.35 introduced a new feature of auto lockouts with FW v1.37 making some changes to K Band filtering.

If you were to add features, enabling serial communication over the cable would be neat, especially if you could have a bluetooth adapter that could allow mobile app developers to communicate with it. That may be a tall order I realize, but I'm sure it'd be a popular feature. I know @SquirrelMaster is a hardware pro and knows how to design circuits as well as do some firmware programming. @Mithheru has done some modifications to the firmware to add K Band segmentation to some of the regional firmware versions that did not have it. He's also got a database of camera locations that he manually has compiled and puts into a format specific for the R7 to import, specializing in international regions.
Serial bus communication female is no problem, but a phone app, pc program to feed it the right info is a bigger commitment for sure. Giving it bluetooth won't be a issue. But a protocol to run *towards* it, is. It just depends what one wants to really do with that. For example, for waze to communicate with it? Is thst what you mean?

Additionally how frequently does the fw updates come out for this thing?
I see that they dirty up the updates, like they add to it, thr kernels are rsther the same with ghost code that just lingers... It's weird and *cheaply * done.. But we can fix that right up.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
If you could do the R7 firmware portion and implementation of an API, perhaps @SquirrelMaster could be swayed to do an external bluetooth adapter, and hopefully other app developers here could be persuaded to implement support for it in their apps.

@SquirrelMaster took an existing common generic device and made firmware that allowed it to operate as a remote display for the V1 here: https://www.rdforum.org/threads/99410/

Regarding apps, we actually are honored to have in our presence some very good community members that have developed existing apps:

SchoolZone

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
If you could do the R7 firmware portion and implementation of an API, perhaps @SquirrelMaster could be swayed to do an external bluetooth adapter, and hopefully other app developers here could be persuaded to implement support for it in their apps.

@SquirrelMaster took an existing common generic device and made firmware that allowed it to operate as a remote display for the V1 here: https://www.rdforum.org/threads/99410/

Regarding apps, we actually are honored to have in our presence some very good community members that have developed existing apps:
Well this is great, we clearly have the resources so long the members are willing and passionate enough. As far as me goes. I can do anything from making this r7 a simple clock to a calculus resolver... But I rsther it be the best r7 can be.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score

bslaws

Land of Spuds and Gems.
Advanced User
Reaction score

RayC

Driving
Beginner User
Reaction score
Very cryptic, or is it?
This won't be necessary shortly.
Well it seems pretty cryptic to me as well. If you don't want to elaborate then why the gaslighting in another manufacturers forum? Maybe all the thumbs up for the comment are allowing others to read more into it than I am. Is there some thread in the Radenso forum that deciphers the comment? Is Uniden taking over Radenso and their development? Is Theia two weeks away? Did Uniden hide a bluetooth module in the R7 and a new firmware will activate it? Will I win the mega millions soon? A lot of questions, what are the answers?

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
ModSec
Administrator
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun project @SchoolZone .
I always like seeing this kinda stuff here.

I have all of the jtag stuff for the MCUs in the r7 and a lot of it reverse engineered somewhere in a Google drive.

Keep us posted on progress/updates and ways we can help you out :)

420smoke

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Oh I like the sounds of this I've always been a fan of XDA forum ( android mods ) now that we have someone here to doing it for radars I'm down to be a guinea pig! Custom boot sound to go with the night rider theme 😃!

ILS27L

Show Me State
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
This all sounds wonderful. Including "This won't be necessary shortly"

SchoolZone

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Need your advise. Please keep in mind I don't know much about how detectors work.
I'd like latch time to be 0.5 seconds, and once a signal is detected, I'll want it to scan at 3x the speed for the course of former latch time (of 6 seconds) to catch other bands or to re confirm first cought band.

I want it to truly detect, not latch... Is my thinking flawed?

SchoolZone

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Chip supply issues in many manufacturers, those who spend the most get dibs. Theia is on hold. I bet for beyond 2021 folks...

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
@Jon at Radenso, can you expand on that comment? Or will it leak important information to the competition??

Sure. Future detectors from all manufacturers including Uniden will have bluetooth integrated, meaning no need for people to spend time and money making external hardware dongles.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itfitz