Fun four doors

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
It seems like the CTS-V or CT5-V is the one closest to where you are now but with 4 doors depending on the year you want to buy. The Audi would be my choice, in the RS7. The A7 is a great choice too even if not as fast its going to be a great travel car with the comfort, tech, and size on the road. Plenty of rear storage since its a hatch. I personally like the look of the Panamara but I suppose its not for everyone.

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I agree on the Audi. I think it's a good all around sport sedan that's fun and really usable in either flavor. I also like the Panamara but I think you will get better utility from the Audi.

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
If you havent looked at the Genesis cars, check them out

PhoenixM3

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Third time is a charm. However, I have a new (spare) long block as a badge against elevated boost levels....and my luck.
Post automatically merged:

Was going to suggest moving and leaving the husband behind. That should net out a 60% improving your odds. 😉
....daughters husband. Also, the hail thing was a horrible event, as I ran to the car when the hailstorm began. First, I’m 57, no longer a runner and was wearing work (dress) shoes. Second, try running with one arm over your head. I was praying that I wouldn’t be struck by golf ball sized hail during my “sprint like a Centrum Silver retard” 300yd dash.

There are only 2 shelters on base: the credit union drive through and the gas station - both were packed.

Attachments

• F96CA34C-1DB9-409C-A1BB-757DD63382F7.jpeg
    F96CA34C-1DB9-409C-A1BB-757DD63382F7.jpeg
    861 KB · Views: 21
  • 89A24338-4828-46D6-A320-5F63922AC1D0.jpeg
    89A24338-4828-46D6-A320-5F63922AC1D0.jpeg
    964.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 8BBF6559-CE0F-4F2D-841F-F6D45F962047.jpeg
    8BBF6559-CE0F-4F2D-841F-F6D45F962047.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Bocephus

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I’ll mention a 6th gen Explorer Sport which is well below your budget and can tow if you ever need that capability. Once tuned those things are a rocket.

Signal Environment

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
New or slightly used is fine (2-3 years old is fine). Price range: ideally sub 80k.

Comrade - I'm not much of a Ford fan period, but yes I really need something 3 adults can comfortably travel in. What are the issues with the CTS-Vs? I thought they where suppose to be pretty solid??

Holla - Its actually a 2011 grand sport with a 416 cu/in motor and a supercharger and a few other goodies, I'll see if I have any pics.
I saw you mentioned the CT5-V, have you looked into the CT6-V? New they are/were 90some, but slightly used they can be found under 80. Full size comfort, flagship level of amenities, lots of power on tap when you need it.

And being the only car that will ever get the hand-built blackwing V8 gives it some extra cachet.

Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio seems like some of the most fun you can have in a sedan. Not quite as big as some of the others in consideration, but if your 3rd person fits comfortably it could be worth considering. It's great looking, and although italian reliability has been a punchline over the years, I don't think the Giulia is notably worse than other Euro luxury brands. A basically sound drivetrain, with chance of some electronic glitches etc. Can be had new under 80, though options might push you over.

In all seriousness, I'd take a gander a V90-R. Plenty of fast, Lux, Comfortable, and can haul things!
This is a fun idea. Not a performance monster like a hellcat or RS7, but certainly no slouch if you spec it right. Volvo's interiors have been really nice lately, which is great if you're thinking of this car for road trips. And at least to my eyes one of the handsomest wagons ever. If wagons aren't your thing, there's also the S90 of course.

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio seems like some of the most fun you can have in a sedan.
In between extended stints at the dealer’s service bay, sure ;)

I don't think the Giulia is notably worse than other Euro luxury brands. A basically sound drivetrain, with chance of some electronic glitches etc.
They’ve been notorious for their electronic glitches. It sure seems more like a matter of when than if. If you love it, and it’s not your only vehicle, then maybe it’s worth the gamble.

Personally, the RS5/6/7 would be high on my list, but mostly because I like Audi’s relatively understated approach to comfortable speed. I’ve done the “look at me” thing, and it’s not my style these days. And having owned an A5 coupe, I absolutely love the Quattro system, and I especially like the idea of the fancier systems in their RS cars. If you track it, you’ll probably find understeer at the limit, but when 8/10ths feels so good, I don’t mind.

MurrayB

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I second the M340i. I am from the 60's muscle car era this is the closest I have come to that in a sedan.

InDecay

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Mopar: Charger Hellcat or Jeep Trackhawk
GM: CTS-V or Chevy SS
Ford: Explorer ST
German: Audi RS5 or Panamera 4S / Turbo
Japan: LS500 F Sport

More down to earth price:
Kia Stinger GT1 AWD

wayne77

PSL +5
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I like the Trackhawks a lot. One thing to consider though, used car prices are through the roof right now. New prices haven't moved much yet. I think next year they will be up too. So buy new, and buy now. lol. At least, that's what I told myself recently when I finally pulled the trigger on a new truck.

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
From my previous post... The 5.0 is still available.
Ranks with cars thousands of dollars more

Signal Environment

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
They’ve been notorious for their electronic glitches.
Ironically many would say the same quote about Audi. I have more than one friend who has sworn off them entirely for that exact type of issue.

And really any European luxury car tends to come with higher overall ownership costs. Some people get spooked by it, some take it as just a price you pay for driving the car you enjoy.

Based on the OPs statements, he seems to be in a position to buy whatever he likes the best and handle any maintenance needs as they arise.

Rockette

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
A new 2021+ M3 would probably be a great buy for a fun 4 door, especially since the x-drive (all wheel drive) models will be hitting the market soon. They'll give the car a much better launch and probably overall better grip if you were to ever take it to a HPDE. The massive grill will make it easy to mount ALPs as well while remaining somewhat of a stealth install.

I've driven the new M4 (2 door version of the M3) at a BMW CCA event somewhat recently and was really impressed by the handling of it compared to it's size. The car really "shrunk around you."

Just a warning as they do get expensive very quickly with their options. North of 100,000 dollars is pretty easy to hit.

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ironically many would say the same quote about Audi. I have more than one friend who has sworn off them entirely for that exact type of issue.
Certainly no manufacturer is without a horror story or two. However, there are way, way more problems with the Alfas.

Signal Environment

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Certainly no manufacturer is without a horror story or two. However, there are way, way more problems with the Alfas.

Read that, but also read exactly the opposite from Motor Trend.

So yeah, you can find anecdotes either way for any brand if you go looking.

Rockette

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Read that, but also read exactly the opposite from Motor Trend.

So yeah, you can find anecdotes either way for any brand if you go looking.

Dead last compared to it's competitors though is pretty telling. Alfa Romeo was never really known for reliability anyway.

Signal Environment

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Dead last compared to it's competitors though is pretty telling. Alfa Romeo was never really known for reliability anyway.

Not trying to tout them as the next Camry or something. I originally acknowledged reliability as a concern, I just don't think it's as much of a different proposition from something like Audi or BMW as what some people's perception is. Any European luxury car can be expensive to own out of warranty, and you'll find horror stories about all of them if you go looking.

Would I tell a single parent with 2 jobs and 1 car to buy one? No, absolutely not.

Should the OP, who is looking to replace a not-so-practical toy with a slightly more practical but still fun sedan be scared off? I wouldn't think so. Esp since with his budget he can buy one with full warranty, or buy used and be 10s of thousands under budget.

Assuming he genuinely liked the car of course. We'll tolerate a lot more nonsense from a car we love compared to a car that we view as simply a necessity. If he doesn't love the car, it's all a moot point.

CobawLT2010

I am a still small voice of calm and reason.
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Livsy