Midland MXT575 coming soon (and MXT500, too)

robbyb413

I thought there would be beer
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Just sipping coffee this am and poking around the internet looking at radio stuff for no good reason other than avoiding mowing the lawn, with the MXT275 thread on my mind. Came across FCC approvals for a MXT575. It would appear to bring the MXT275's form factor to the higher power family of Midland radios. Has the split tones and USB-C capability that was just added to the 115/275...

1624119294744.png

Looks like the MXT275...
1624119005603.png

But for me, what I found most interesting was in the repeater section of the manual. I don't know why they didn't highlight this in the features. Now that they've added split tone capability (btw, looks like it does DCS in addition to CTCSS so that's both the regular tones and the tones the Motorola repeaters favor unless I'm mistaken) which addressed 50% of the major shortcomings in their radios, they were still left with a glaring problem in that according to specifications/the manual/what users have said Midland units were narrowband only. However, look what makes an appearance in the "Repeater" section of the MXT575's user manual:

1624119437510.png

So there you have it. Now you can select your bandwidth. Problem solved.

Specs wise this looks like it will be pretty cool unit. You've got a nice small control head/mic combo, a main unit that can be hidden anywhere you want in your vehicle then connected to the control head using cheap standardized cabling and jacks, 50w of power, split tone capability, and bandwidth selection. Curious what the price will come out to be. The MXT400 is $249. It would appear that along with the MXT575 there is a MXT500 dropping (https://fccid.io/MMAMXT500 - it lists split tones and bandwidth selection in it's specifications). So it would appear that just as there are two options in the 15w tier (MXT115 for controls on the unit/MXT275 for remote control head/speaker) there will be a similar pairing for the 50w. Wondering if they'll drop the MXT400 (isn't that a rebranded something else?) and replace it with the MXT500 at a similar price point, then just as with the 115/275 sell the 575 at that same point? I don't think $249 would be a bad deal for this unit. Still more expensive than a used Kenwood, even after adding the remote control head kit, but BNIB w/warranty and significantly smaller than the Kenwood. No WAY it requires as much ventilation/airflow as the Kenwood either so that's a big plus.

Looking forward to seeing this in person.

robbyb413

Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
For those interested in GMRS use, that’s awesome. Great find!

HA! 100% exactly what I’m doing right this second! And it’s only getting worse for me as it gets hotter!!
Right? I procrastinated and now I'm going to pay the price. Not sure it was worth it to review FCC docs for a GMRS radio. But we never learn, do we.

Ebg18t

Learning to Drive
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
Midland has been promising this for a while.. I hope it comes to market soon. We live in an area with poor cell service and use GMRS radios a ton when traveling, the extra power would nice sometimes over our MTX275’s.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
This is exciting. Thanks for posting. This appears to be the one I'm going to go for, as my concerns on their existing products about power and split tones are being addressed with the release of this model.

robbyb413

Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yeah I agree. I'm going to be keeping an eye on this. Hopefully there is programming software available. From what I'm reading on other forums once the software for the MXT400 was found it was quickly and easily modified to allow split tones and bandwidth selection (https://mwgmrs.com/forums/topic/midland-mxt400-programing/). So maybe if they left things hiding under the hood on that unit there are likewise things to find on the others.

robbyb413

Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I obtained Midland's training manual for the Split Tone feature and upcoming products, although since the product chart at the end doesn't show the 500/575 I suspected they stripped materials. Still the fact that they trained employees on the split tones for the 500/575 would tell me that's very real and very much hitting the market soon. They didn't mark it as confidential when they sent it to me, thus I assume this is OK to share even though this particular sub forum is public. This is their information though so I would suggest that you should not borrow it without crediting them.

1624376711046.png

1624376735646.png

1624376752763.png

1624376777223.png

1624376792548.png

1624376814851.png

1624376834503.png

1624376860244.png

1624376880656.png

1624376905764.png

1624376926168.png

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
It’s kind of sad to me that they don’t have even basic programming software, so you have to wade through manual button pressing menus. I guess the USB-C is for powering devices only? No firmware update capabilities?

robbyb413

Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I would agree with your assessment based on the fact that they call out the software for the 400, but mention nothing under others. In this case absence of evidence would seem to be evidence of absence all right.

Since they seem to have removed the slide showing the features for the 500/575 before sending it to me (I mean otherwise why are those note shown in a table, right?) there's still hope that they went that route, but does seem unlikely.

I think if we knew who makes the 500 and 575 for them we could do some more digging a-la the way people figured out more about the 400 by hitting the page for the actual manufacturer.

spinner55

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Reason my GMRS repeater will be using a TX PL tone and a digital RX tone.
(to keep the unlicensed 'users' at bay)

I use Kenwood mobile radios in my system. Programming software is so nice.

robbyb413

Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I guess, but also at the same time Kenwood's software if utter rubbish, so while it's better than nothing, it's not like it's a dream to manage your GMRS radios in KPG-89D and KPG-101D. They're not good, they're merely available. At the end of the day though, that they enable you to manage banks of repeaters so you can change those up and scan them on the fly is a huge plus for the commercial radios over Midland though, yes.

All of the Kenwood software I've used is garbage. In addition to the tk8180 and tk3180 I use for GMRS, I have a th-d74a and th-d72A. Their software, MPT-74A and MPT-72A respectively, is awful too. I wish I could use something from RT Systems for my commercial Kenwood units.

spinner55

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
All of the Kenwood software I've used is garbage. In addition to the tk8180 and tk3180 I use for GMRS, I have a th-d74a and th-d72A. Their software, MPT-74A and MPT-72A respectively, is awful too. I wish I could use something from RT Systems for my commercial Kenwood units.
Yes but the software was 'free'. Happens i have someone with licensed software that will let me use it.
My repeater is a Maxon (Bridgecom re-branded). Going to program 16 channels - all same freq / With a the same PL TX tone - but different RX digital tones in each. Repeater was $125 shipped to the house. (used). I also bought another to use either for a UHF ham or a backup GMRS repeater. I also have a rock bound Motorola 75 watt UHF repeater - bought for $175 - only wanted the TX-RX cans. (it was a steal at that price)
  • 50 Watt VHF/40 Watt UHF
  • UHF (400-470 MHz)
  • 16 Channels
  • Built-In 10A Power Supply
  • Built-In Channel ID; Adjustable Power
  • Front Panel Speaker
  • CTCSS (Community Repeater)/DCS (Single User)
  • Battery Backup Optional with Built-In Charging Circuit
  • Base Station Operation Capable
  • 25 Pin Accessory Connector; Ideal for LTR Controllers
  • Dual Cooling Fans

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member