R7 feature request/suggestion

aradarnut

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been thought of but I'd like to see an addition to the 'dark display' setting that adds 'auto' as a choice. So if you have your unit set to 'dark' there would be option to have the display come on according to ambient light conditions. So during the day, the display would illuminate to 'bright' and after dark the display would illuminate to 'dimmer' automatically. I like dark mode because it saves the o-led display but it's a hassle to go into the menu to change it according to ambient light conditions on a daily basis. What do y'all think?

Dolphin

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I think that those brief moments when it turns on to alert you about a detection do not burn the display enough to worry about it. After all, the display is designed to work constant-on.

I have mine to set to bright warnings in a dark mode. It's an important warning that should be noticeable even by brightness alone.

RayC

Driving
Beginner User
Reaction score
I would suggest making the light sensor cabin facing rather than on top. Most mount up high and the sensor doesn't read the cabin light level well in that location. I run in dark with dim setting and don't really have much of a problem with the display although having it a little brighter in daylight on alerts would be nice.

Since it's unlikely the sensor location will be changed perhaps having a setting for dark (or even other modes) where the initial alert is at a brighter level for the first couple seconds or so and then reverts back to the users preferred setting. I would definitely use that and doesn't seem like a heavy lift in a firmware upgrade.

regisadeglans

Intermediate User
Reaction score
Post 277 on the thread below has the same great suggestion. Perhaps to avoid the photo sensor being not very useful when unit is mounted high up, what if you set a time for the display to light up bright and another time dimmed. The detector already knows what time it is, so let’s say between 0700 and 1900 light up in bright mode, otherwise light up in dim mode.

Uniden R7 - Firmware Change-log and Outstanding Issues

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Post 277 on the thread below has the same great suggestion. Perhaps to avoid the photo sensor being not very useful when unit is mounted high up, what if you set a time for the display to light up bright and another time dimmed. The detector already knows what time it is, so let’s say between 0700 and 1900 light up in bright mode, otherwise light up in dim mode.

Uniden R7 - Firmware Change-log and Outstanding Issues
I find this a PITA on the R3.
Up north the hours of daylight shift so dramatically that it doesn't even have adequate times to work with the daylight and darkness over the year.
You could make it a 24 hour clock and choose times.
But still, you'd be adjusting times every 2 weeks.
I would prefer the sensor on the front facing windshield just like vehicle sensors do to measure daytime and nighttime levels.

rwsmith123

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I find this a PITA on the R3.
Up north the hours of daylight shift so dramatically that it doesn't even have adequate times to work with the daylight and darkness over the year.
You could make it a 24 hour clock and choose times.
But still, you'd be adjusting times every 2 weeks.
I would prefer the sensor on the front facing windshield just like vehicle sensors do to measure daytime and nighttime levels.

It's pretty simple to calculate sunrise and sunset times based on GPS location, could just have an option to change brightness based on that.

Shortcut

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Away for the R7 to self shutdown it it detects Spectra.
I don't know if the R7 can detect the posted speed limit of the road your on but if it could it would be nice if you could set a max speed over that. In VA 15 over is reckless driving so in a 60 mph zone you could set it for 14 over and if you went over that you would be warned.

DChiJEllis

Moderator Emeritus/Lifetime Contributor🇺🇸🇳🇴🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Trollstigen, Lysevegen og Atlanterhavsveien

SchoolZone

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Away for the R7 to self shutdown it it detects Spectra.
I don't know if the R7 can detect the posted speed limit of the road your on but if it could it would be nice if you could set a max speed over that. In VA 15 over is reckless driving so in a 60 mph zone you could set it for 14 over and if you went over that you would be warned.
Is 20 over now

Jamienbaker

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
All the K adjustments should be clustered together within the menu, as that’s what most of us spend the greatest time manipulating. Would also be nice to have profiles. I live in Tri-State area and have to adjust each time I cross between NJ/NY/CT.

Corman

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I am not sure if this has been suggested, I would love to be have the ability to turn off the chiming and warning you are exceeding the speed on the speed cameras. What a pain in the ass

Yippeekyaa

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Is 20 over now
Please show your sources for that. Its been 15 over is a misdemeanor charge and anything over 85 for the last few years.
Post automatically merged:

Follow up to the above. It is indeed 20 over. Direct from the source here:
B9DC3A08-0CA3-4C86-8B0F-EC39AF5EAEBF.jpeg

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdubz