Hi Team

SLYFOX85NZ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this site but people seem to be pretty helpful around here. I'm looking at buying a new radar, my old V1 got stolen. Thinking about DFR9 but no idea about what differences are out there between them. Some say NZ, some don't...prices vary massively. Can I just download the NZ firmware or is it NZ database I need? Please help

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome aboard.
Check out https://www.rdforum.org/forums/104/ - NZ specific section and you will find plenty of helpful information.

I have heard good things about the DFR9 that @Mithheru has modified firmware for NZ.

If you can afford it, I would suggest a Uniden R7 or V1Gen2.

nzFALCONnz

FORD MUSTANG GT #17
Beginner User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. The person you want to talk to is @Mithheru about any uniden detectors but he is really busy and will reply when he can. I personally run a v1gen2 in my family car and a R7 in my work vehicle both are outstanding detectors. But I’m sure you will find the one for you. Highly recommend a detector with arrows tho 😉

SLYFOX85NZ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Welcome aboard.
Check out https://www.rdforum.org/forums/104/ - NZ specific section and you will find plenty of helpful information.

I have heard good things about the DFR9 that @Mithheru has modified firmware for NZ.

Welcome aboard.

Thank you for getting back to me so quick, I'll definitely chase him chase him up somehow. Do you think they still work ok to a point straight out of the box or do I need the NZ software for it to pick up cop cars? Yea absolutely loved my V1, it never missed a beat and saved me from 2 tickets the day I bought it lol. I thought about just buying another one but they are getting pretty old now, I'm sure there are better things out there for similar price. My dream is a V1 gen 2 but can't really afford it at the moment. Going on a big trip around the south island in 2 weeks and just keen to grab something around the $500 mark for now. I found a few DFR9's on trademe for $480, i thought that's pretty cheap compared to what websites sell them for.
Post automatically merged:

Welcome to the forums. The person you want to talk to is @Mithheru about any uniden detectors but he is really busy and will reply when he can. I personally run a v1gen2 in my family car and a R7 in my work vehicle both are outstanding detectors. But I’m sure you will find the one for you. Highly recommend a detector with arrows tho 😉
Thanks mate, yea i was wondering about the DFR9 not having any arrows. I really liked that about my V1. Not that it was absolutely spot on every time but it did get the directions right in most scenarios. Just need something to tie my over till after xmas I think and I will probably invest in a V1 gen2

Last edited:

milkman

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
welcome to the forum

RoadDogg

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@SLYFOX85NZ , Welcome to the Forum!! We are glad to have you here.

SLYFOX85NZ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
welcome to the forum

@SLYFOX85NZ , Welcome to the Forum!! We are glad to have you here.
Thanks, glad to be here

Welcome to the forum.
First of all, you could probably get an r7 from USA for as cheap as a DFR9 in New Zealand.
Anyway, besides price, the r7 seems to be much better.
Spend you pennies wisely!!
Hi Noddy,
I would love an R7 but unfortunately I couldn't find one under $1000 and it is beyond my budget currently. Just blew huge amounts on my PC recently and also just booked a holiday so it's gonna take a bit to come right financially lol. I am gonna be doing about 3000k's on this holiday and it's coming up in 2 weeks. My old V1 (OG) got stolen out of my car and I don't see US delivery happening in 2 weeks unfortunately. Probably going to have to wait till after xmas to get something nicer. The DFR9 I've found is $480NZD and is local, I think that's my best bet at this stage. My dream would be a V1gen2 tho. What would be the best place in the US to buy one from?
Cheers

Last edited:

Noddy

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hold on!! NZ dollar is not that bad!!!
You can get an r7 NOW (correct me) for $490USD, that must be less than 6-700NZD.
Trust me, its exactly the same. 1.37 US is fine, but Mithheru can update it for you with 1.37 international + NZ database.
(For a very small donation.)
He's here on this forum, you can PM him (I'll tell you how to Private Message, if like me, you've never done it). and you have EXACTLY what you need. r7 with NZ firmware and database.
Ebay marketplace4u (30d free return period) or BIgAppleBuddy, where I got mine for Ireland.

SLYFOX85NZ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hold on!! NZ dollar is not that bad!!!
You can get an r7 NOW (correct me) for $490USD, that must be less than 6-700NZD.
Trust me, its exactly the same. 1.37 US is fine, but Mithheru can update it for you with 1.37 international + NZ database.
(For a very small donation.)
He's here on this forum, you can PM him (I'll tell you how to Private Message, if like me, you've never done it). and you have EXACTLY what you need. r7 with NZ firmware and database.
Ebay marketplace4u (30d free return period) or BIgAppleBuddy, where I got mine for Ireland.
Yea that is what I've seen them go for as well. It is really just a time issue right now, I've left it too late and need something sorted in next 2 weeks. I'm normally pretty good around town but open road is a different story... something either wrong with my accelerator pedal or my foot :) I figured $480 is not a bad price for it now and when it comes to selling it to upgrade I should be able to recover most of it and get something better. Definitely want something with arrows. Would you recommend R7 or V1gen2?
I already "started a conversation" with him last night but no reply yet. I'm sure he's got life as well :)

Noddy

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Yea that is what I've seen them go for as well. It is really just a time issue right now, I've left it too late and need something sorted in next 2 weeks. I'm normally pretty good around town but open road is a different story... something either wrong with my accelerator pedal or my foot :) I figured $480 is not a bad price for it now and when it comes to selling it to upgrade I should be able to recover most of it and get something better. Definitely want something with arrows. Would you recommend R7 or V1gen2?
I already "started a conversation" with him last night but no reply yet. I'm sure he's got life as well :)
Oh dear, you've really put me on the spot now!!
In MY OPINION (not wanting to incur the wrath of the militant v1g2 community), the r7 is both cheaper and has gps.
It's well accepted in NZ as excellent for redflex. V1g2 needs a mobile app to get gps, which is not my style.
However v1g2 is more immune to detectors with a magnesium case.

In MY OPINION (not wanting to incur the wrath of the militant v1g2 community), the r7 is both cheaper and has gps.
It's well accepted in NZ as excellent for redflex. V1g2 needs a mobile app to get gps, which is not my style.
I got mine in less than 2 wks with standard post.
You can pay more to get a promise of quicker delivery, but I find most things arrive before estimated date.
I really like BigAppleBuddy, they give a very personal service!

Last edited:

SLYFOX85NZ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

I got mine in less than 2 wks with standard post.
You can pay more to get a promise of quicker delivery, but I find most things arrive before estimated date.
I really like BigAppleBuddy, they give a very personal service!
I'll check out bigapplebuddy and see if I can find some deals. So probably dumb question but what do you mean immune to detectors with magnesium cases? Do you get alerts for them with different brands?
Do you know if either the r7 or the dfr9 without nz firmware and database would still pick up cop cars?
Im a mechanic and it does make life easier if I have my license :)

Noddy

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'll check out bigapplebuddy and see if I can find some deals. So probably dumb question but what do you mean immune to detectors with magnesium cases? Do you get alerts for them with different brands?
Do you know if either the r7 or the dfr9 without nz firmware and database would still pick up cop cars?
Im a mechanic and it does make life easier if I have my license :)
Sometimes I don't phrase things well!!

The v1g2 is housed in a magnesium case which helps make it extremely undetectable/invisible, to police radar detector detectors (called VG1's to VG4's). r7 is also partially invisible, but not as much.

However, I don't think this is a massive issue. I've never heard of an r7 getting detected and in my opinion is sufficiently invisible.

Detectors don't pick up cop cars, but the speed detector technology the cops use and only when in use.
The r7 is extremely sensitive to cops with detectors randomly parking or moving. It is one of the best at this.

What top end detectors are really good for is picking up these cars by their radar signals when at random, unexpected places. dfr9 will also do this, but not as well. Will not give you as much warning.

Gps is more beneficial of fixed cameras or you can also mark locations where you regularly see cop cars so it will give you an additional warning when you're in that area again.

It seems that the r3 would be a better option than the dfr9 if you want to save. R3 is more sensitive and is EXTREMELY well reviewed on this forum.

Not as good as the r7 and does not have arrows.

Ask anything you want, there's no such thing a stupid question!

SLYFOX85NZ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Sometimes I don't phrase things well!!

The v1g2 is housed in a magnesium case which helps make it extremely undetectable/invisible, to police radar detector detectors (called VG1's to VG4's). r7 is also partially invisible, but not as much.

However, I don't think this is a massive issue. I've never heard of an r7 getting detected and in my opinion is sufficiently invisible.

Detectors don't pick up cop cars, but the speed detector technology the cops use and only when in use.
The r7 is extremely sensitive to cops with detectors randomly parking or moving. It is one of the best at this.

What top end detectors are really good for is picking up these cars by their radar signals when at random, unexpected places. dfr9 will also do this, but not as well. Will not give you as much warning.

Gps is more beneficial of fixed cameras or you can also mark locations where you regularly see cop cars so it will give you an additional warning when you're in that area again.

It seems that the r3 would be a better option than the dfr9 if you want to save. R3 is more sensitive and is EXTREMELY well reviewed on this forum.

Not as good as the r7 and does not have arrows.

Ask anything you want, there's no such thing a stupid question!
Right, I get it now. I don't think its a problem here in New Zealand, I never had any cop question if I have a radar or not, its always been sitting on the dash. I see your point with the R3. Price wise it seem to sit right in-between the dfr9 and the r7. I do appreciate your help but at the moment I just can't justify splashing out for an R7. I either just drop it and wait for now or the max I can spend is the 500 and I can probably get 85 - 90% of it back in 5 - 6 month and than get the real deal.

Right, I get it now. I don't think its a problem here in New Zealand, I never had any cop question if I have a radar or not, its always been sitting on the dash. I see your point with the R3. Price wise it seem to sit right in-between the dfr9 and the r7. I do appreciate your help but at the moment I just can't justify splashing out for an R7. I either just drop it and wait for now or the max I can spend is the 500 and I can probably get 85 - 90% of it back in 5 - 6 month and than get the real deal.
Have you had anything to do with beltronics sti? Mate recons they're very good but I never heard of them

Last edited:

milkman

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The R1 or R3 would be your best bang for the buck.

Noddy

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

Have you had anything to do with beltronics sti? Mate recons they're very good but I never heard of them
I know nothing about beltronics. But again an r3 from US could be quite affordable and I have seen reconditioned r3's on ebay.

I know nothing about beltronics. But again an r3 from US could be quite affordable and I have seen reconditioned r3's on ebay.
Look, a post just went up that you can get a refurbished r7 from Uniden for $419.99 USD!
By all accounts, these are as good as the new ones!

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
downhiller2010