NYS Tints?

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Debating on getting Window tint...

NYS;
Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark. The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light.

Has anyone gotten tickets in NY for it? I drive like a grandma car... (outback).. Should I risk the potential never get a ticket or?
I know NY can do an exemption on Medical conditions for it but I can't apply for that...

Was thinking 50% my rears are factory 25-30%

Last edited:

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Absolutely guarantee you will get pulled over in the Hudson Valley/Albany area for noticeably dark tint.
I'm more towards WNY, rare that I'll get over to Albany.

V1Jake

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have 35 an around and never stopped in NYC. 35 rear 50 front is safe

PY004

Director of Technical Operations
Administrator
Premium Plus
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Andrew got a ticket for 50s so it's just luck.

nomore55

PSL +10%
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Didn't the regulation in NYS change on tints about a year ago? I recall other discussions about the tightening of the rules.

Dragons

Breathing fire
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Get 70% its light enough not to draw attention but good enough to block harshness of the sun in Summer.

ibrake4cops

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I have 50% on my F250 and I can barely tell it’s on there. Could have easily gone a little darker

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Didn't the regulation in NYS change on tints about a year ago? I recall other discussions about the tightening of the rules.
2017 I believe
You can thank andrew cuckmo for that

New Yorker

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Why would you - or anyone - want a tint anyway? When driving, you want to increase visibility. Not reduce it.

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Why would you - or anyone - want a tint anyway? When driving, you want to increase visibility. Not reduce it.

Appearance on the car, Sun, and you know deeds in the vehicles. But mostly appearance, that is like asking why would you want mods on your car?

jcp

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Block UV light to protect the leather interior and decrease skin cancer.

NJRedStingerGT2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Many years ago I got pulled over at a DWI check point on Staten Island, NYC (I had not been drinking) and was given a tint ticket when my windows were completely factory stock with no tint on them at all.

Obeying the law does not mean you will not get a ticket.

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Get 70% its light enough not to draw attention
If 30% is the law I'm guessing 70 is the max. I'm pretty sure you're wanting to tint for looks but if you want to stay inside the law get a legal tint with ceramic tint and you're car will stay cool.

Dragons

Breathing fire
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
If 30% is the law I'm guessing 70 is the max. I'm pretty sure you're wanting to tint for looks but if you want to stay inside the law get a legal tint with ceramic tint and you're car will stay cool.
70% is a very light tint.. Lower the number, darker the tint.

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
It really comes down to the cost. I do notice a ton of heat come in from the front windshield and the driver/pass side. The rear is factory tinted, but I don't sit back there. If I did ceramic it would depend strongly on the cost. Even if its like light tinted.. I don't care.. The sun is brutal in the summer, but never in the winter LOL

V1Jake

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

I can still see fine out 35%. I wouldn't go darker. Idk how people do limo tint, that's insane

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I understand the percentages :)
35% is the darkest legal tint in my state
Post automatically merged:

but I don't sit back there
I even put a light ceramic tint on my factory rear tints just to block heat

Last edited:

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Here's what the law actually says instead of the NY DMV's interpretation:

(b) No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway, road or street:

(1) the front windshield of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent unless such materials are limited to the uppermost six inches of the windshield;  or

(2) the sidewings or side windows of which on either side forward of or adjacent to the operator's seat are composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent;  or

(3) if it is classified as a station wagon, sedan, hardtop, coupe, hatchback or convertible and any rear side window has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent;  or

(4) the rear window of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent.  A rear window may have a light transmittance of less than seventy percent if the vehicle is equipped with side mirrors on both sides of the vehicle so adjusted that the driver thereof shall have a clear and full view of the road and condition of traffic behind such vehicle.

So basically you can put any tint where the Visible Light Transmission (VLT) is at least 70% except for the eyebrow (luckily no mention of the stupid AS1 line) and the rear windshield. The way it's written is poor because it makes it difficult to understand whether the rear side windows can be tinted, but it's so universally common that you should be able to get away with it regardless, and that's how limos work anyway.

However...how do they actually tell what the tint is? The measured VLT is cumulative with the windows themselves since they come from the factory with a little tiny bit of tint anyway, and no class is perfectly clear regardless. The rule of thumb is that you need to add about 10% to the minimum VLT to account for the factory windows to stay legal. If they put a light meter on it to check, then you probably need to look at 80% or lighter to stay perfectly legal. Unless you go with 70% tint and keep a receipt or sworn affidavit from the tint shop or something like that, and that'll probably just piss off easily-pissed-off cops anyway.

Here in Texas the VLT requirement is a fairly dark 25% minimum. The only time you're going to have a problem with darker tint than is technically allowed (assuming not like super dark windshield tint or limo tint on the front windows) is during the inspection when they might note the eyebrow is too big or might even measure the tint itself. But you usually won't go with anything darker than 35% tint so you can be reasonably sure you'll stay legal (ending up at, say, 28% or so, just depends on the tint and the factory windows). I went with 25% (which resulted in going darker than technically legal and never had a problem with local PD or even DPS during any roadside interactions.

In NY, if you don't have to get inspected (or otherwise have a hookup), then visually speaking you could probably skate by pretty well with 50% because it's still not particularly dark. There may be an eager-beaver jackass with a badge who might have a keen enough eye and a miserable enough personal life with a career going badly that he might give you grief about it, but to most people they may barely even recognize that there's any tint on the windows at all.

If you're doing it for looks, you can always just go for broke, cross your fingers, and hope for the best. But I imagine that's a gamble.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ronjhoser