Time to Expand my ALP Collection: Any Advice?

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
So my current ALP setup is in the F150
2RX & 2TX Front 2020 HW4 HiFi BT. No rear protection.
Never had a rear shot yet, but seen it in action here. Travelling into AB might be risky too, but not that frequent and half the time will be towing TT.
I would like rears, summer time protection as winter not much lidar use and snow and much covers up rear sensors quickly. So on the edge a bit. I drive the truck way faster over longer distances though.
I want front motorbike protection. Although I drive it less it's definitely higher risk of being targeted. In the city is the high risk of where I use it most.
I'm adding BT Sena connections for RD and ALP use, already underway.
Would like to see if I can get RD and ALP and phone apps/music working all together before buying a V1G2 and using it through V1G2 plus ALP app on phone only. This is a separate issue but you can see I'm working on the plan to integrate ALP into my system and hopefully hands free.
Now rear motorcycle protection has interested because of one thing.
The new TX black sensor now shipping.
If I go cheap I lose out on Black Tx on my truck where it would help the most.

My explanation:
I can use the TX Green and Blue off the front of my truck as the TX front and back on the MC. Plenty of protection.
Now in my purchase, if I get all TX Black (3 total) then I can swap out the B&G TX with 2 Black, and add rear protection with the TX Black for maximum truck protection F & R.
The MC I buy a ALP Triple with Bl Tx and instead use the B&G TX front and rear 1RX & 1TX for excellent protection.
This is what that option looks like. A little more $$ than I had in mind, but totally covered to a maximum amount, good for years.

ALP Option 2.png

Now my other more responsible option, since I'm also blowing bucks on MC gear and maybe a V1G2 if things don't work out, is this:
Buy the rear protection for truck, with a B or G TX to work with front as is (can't mix Black TX with the others)
Then purchase only front 1Rx + 1Tx Black for motorbike. Better protection for MC front, a bit less for truck rear. Truck less future proof with B&G than Black TX.
Now I could finish the expensive option later on but it will cost me another Black TX to do the whole truck.
This is still a pricey option but closer to what I had in budget.
ALP Option 1.png

Regardless of option I see a few trips down to Vancouver to get this tested or begging a loaner DE to be sent my way for self test.
I know there's a lot of excitement over the new Black TX, but if I really shouldn't be too concerned about rear truck punch throughs with a B&G done right, do I save the $1000 CDN for another day?
Thanks,

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I was thinking these numbers seemed way high, then I remembered it's in CDN. the question is, do you need two TX black on the front? If the new TX is as awesome as touted then maybe you only need one TX black front and one TX black rear on the truck then your TX blue and green on the bike would be beyond solid. for the time being. I suspect this setup would do very well. might be worth starting with one black tx front and testing to see if two is actually needed.

keefrto

Loving Alberta's response to cameras. #not
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
So my current ALP setup is in the F150
2RX & 2TX Front 2020 HW4 HiFi BT. No rear protection.
Never had a rear shot yet, but seen it in action here. Travelling into AB might be risky too, but not that frequent and half the time will be towing TT.
I would like rears, summer time protection as winter not much lidar use and snow and much covers up rear sensors quickly. So on the edge a bit. I drive the truck way faster over longer distances though.
I want front motorbike protection. Although I drive it less it's definitely higher risk of being targeted. In the city is the high risk of where I use it most.
I'm adding BT Sena connections for RD and ALP use, already underway.
Would like to see if I can get RD and ALP and phone apps/music working all together before buying a V1G2 and using it through V1G2 plus ALP app on phone only. This is a separate issue but you can see I'm working on the plan to integrate ALP into my system and hopefully hands free.
Now rear motorcycle protection has interested because of one thing.
The new TX black sensor now shipping.
If I go cheap I lose out on Black Tx on my truck where it would help the most.

My explanation:
I can use the TX Green and Blue off the front of my truck as the TX front and back on the MC. Plenty of protection.
Now in my purchase, if I get all TX Black (3 total) then I can swap out the B&G TX with 2 Black, and add rear protection with the TX Black for maximum truck protection F & R.
The MC I buy a ALP Triple with Bl Tx and instead use the B&G TX front and rear 1RX & 1TX for excellent protection.
This is what that option looks like. A little more $$ than I had in mind, but totally covered to a maximum amount, good for years.

View attachment 181190
Now my other more responsible option, since I'm also blowing bucks on MC gear and maybe a V1G2 if things don't work out, is this:
Buy the rear protection for truck, with a B or G TX to work with front as is (can't mix Black TX with the others)
Then purchase only front 1Rx + 1Tx Black for motorbike. Better protection for MC front, a bit less for truck rear. Truck less future proof with B&G than Black TX.
Now I could finish the expensive option later on but it will cost me another Black TX to do the whole truck.
This is still a pricey option but closer to what I had in budget.
View attachment 181191

Regardless of option I see a few trips down to Vancouver to get this tested or begging a loaner DE to be sent my way for self test.
I know there's a lot of excitement over the new Black TX, but if I really shouldn't be too concerned about rear truck punch throughs with a B&G done right, do I save the $1000 CDN for another day?
Thanks,
yes indeed you save that cash imho, save it to spend when you are on a road trip, really adequate cover from my understanding mate

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I was thinking these numbers seemed way high, then I remembered it's in CDN. the question is, do you need two TX black on the front? If the new TX is as awesome as touted then maybe you only need one TX black front and one TX black rear on the truck then your TX blue and green on the bike would be beyond solid. for the time being. I suspect this setup would do very well. might be worth starting with one black tx front and testing to see if two is actually needed.
I had thought about that, just that the 2 TX front right now has more protection than 1 Black TX according to BRD, so I would just leave the install alone on the front I think. It was done in a way the 2 TX have slightly different angles so empty or heavily loaded I have at least 1 and a bit TX shooting level down the road. Easily can move the level bubble quite a bit with loading the 1/2 ton. Perhaps Black TX would cover it off.
Something to think about to get Black on back.

I might also just get MC front for now and watch the bank account for a bit. Then I can watch for new Black TX installs on vehicles get tested and make a decision then.
Makes sense now that I think about it, minimal rear threat for a while, wait and see the results, just cover MC front.
Thanks for provoking some critical thinking!

Gatortotz

PSL +5
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
This is a tough one since I was in a similar boat (although, not as invested).

I went from blue+green front, green rear to 1 black fr/1 black rear and from what I've seen so far it isn't worth it... but I haven't seen 2 blacks up front. I did lose a bit of performance going to the black, but the blacks are definitely stronger 1:1. To get from 3 blues/greens to 2 blacks cost me around 300CAD and I feel like it is more future proof but right now not really worth it (vs an older legit DE).

I'd say just expand the current system for the rear as any TX is better than nothing at all, save the extra money and get the TX black for the bike. Worst case you can get 2 blacks later and change things up... That's my .02.

Also make sure the rear cables are super duper insulated at the connectors or you'll hate your life as much as me. (electrical tape, heat shrink, etc)

darkhonda

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Also make sure the rear cables are super duper insulated at the connectors or you'll hate your life as much as me. (electrical tape, heat shrink, etc)
Electrical tape is not good at sealing. Get this stuff instead.

Edit: Removed Amazon link. Search for coax seal tape instead

* Note do 1 layer of elec tape first, then wrap it. This stuff leaves residue.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Okay, I went easy on it, just front motorcycle protection.
Truck rear some other time.
I just bought a V1G2 to work with this setup all wirelessly into my helmet so I scaled back the purchase to a stay married amount.
InkedALP for MC_LI.jpg

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ronjhoser