Why such complicated wiring?

dnanian

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
There's probably a simple answer to this, and I'm going to feel like an idiot when I hear it, but... why don't integrated detectors run ethernet between their various bits? You could run up to 10Gbps these days with pretty cheap hardware platforms, the cables are shielded, the data rate is quite high, and it would mean a single, thin cable going, say, from the front and back of the car to the electronics. You could even do Power over Ethernet to get power to the various bits and bobs.

I'm not talking about, say, a tx/rx unit and the main controller, but rather something that would take the various wires from those things, collect them, do a little local processing with a cheap ARM processor, and fire those packets over a little local network to the main processor.

Perhaps it's better to keep the primary electronics past the firewall since it's readily weather sealed, and thus there's no real benefit, since straight wires are inherently kind of weatherproof, whereas connectors, in general, are harder to seal? Or it's additional complexity running ethernet vs more direct signaling that doesn't provide sufficient benefits?

Yeah, anyway, shower thoughts.

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
10Gbp DAC/Fiber optical cables are dirt cheap, but there also not the "newest" technology; (using 40Gbps in my prod now)

In my perspective, having separate cables (such as rx/tx + controller) is best, cause if something goes wrong you only have to change one thing vs if they were all "combined" then you'd have to shed out more money for an entire unit..

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Stinger does something like that with a waterproof extension box that can go in your engine bay. All the individual heads for radar and laser plug into that and then you have one cable heading back through the firewall and into the main box in your car. Same idea for the rear.

Here's an older photo:

Stinger-VIP-Wiring-Diagram.jpg

I'm not 100% sure how it works with the new system, but it's a nice option, especially when you have 2x the cables for laser with separate TX and RX heads.

Ethernet's also nicer than USB in that it's much easier to remove connectors, run the cable through a tiny hole, and then recrimp a new connector onto the end.

dnanian

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
10Gbp DAC/Fiber optical cables are dirt cheap, but there also not the "newest" technology; (using 40Gbps in my prod now)
Yeah, I was thinking about cost here. Hard to see how 10Gb wouldn't be able to cover most scenarios...of course, it depends on the amount of local processing done.

In my perspective, having separate cables (such as rx/tx + controller) is best, cause if something goes wrong you only have to change one thing vs if they were all "combined" then you'd have to shed out more money for an entire unit..
I'm not sure I understand. You would still have "local" cables for the individual "heads", but that would go to a "local" connection which would route through the firewall via a single cable.
Stinger does something like that with a waterproof extension box that can go in your engine bay.
I think they may have moved away from that...at least, AVI didn't use one for my install.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I think they may have moved away from that...at least, AVI didn't use one for my install.
Yeah I think so too. IIRC, I had to run a ton of cables up front when testing the new fiber heads. I was assuming I just didn't have the extra box to bring things together like before, but it may not be an option at all. I'm not sure. Reading over the updated manual, it looks like the laser center (the box where all the laser heads plug into) needs to be installed in a dry location like in your dash. So it may no longer be an option at all.

Last edited:

dnanian

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hey, cool - they must have just uploaded that recently, because the one I downloaded (after seeing the physical copy at AVI, I wanted to see what it said once I was back at home) was the old HD/HD+ one. Thanks!

Now they just have to update the regular User's Guide and document/explain all the options (including the speed sense stuff that you were baffled by - they haven't tried to de-baffle-ify it)... :)

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ronjhoser