darkhonda

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
What kind of vehicle you have?
2019 Honda Odyssey, daily driver and long hauls
Chevy Volt, commuter
350Z, occasional fun

Do you want a remote mount or windshield mount detector?
Windshield, Remote Mount

What's your budget?
$400

Where do you live and where do you primarily drive?
Ohio, Highway drives from Cle to Cbus is most smokey friendly drive.

How do you drive?
10+ Hate being behind another car on the highway.

What is your daily drive like?
Daily drive is only 8mi small residential area. I'll see a cop once in 6months.
Once a month i will do a trip CBus - Cle and back.

How long you have been using countermeasures, if at all?
Out of the game since my V995 / Solo2 were new.

What is the terrain like where you normally drive?

Are there red light and/or speed cams in your area?
(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

Do you need / prefer a GPS enabled unit?
Yes

Are you willing/do you want to use your phone to pair with the RD?
Yes

What kind of device do you own or would use for your detector?
Android

Do you face MRCD and/or MRCT in your area?
Unsure

If you have any preconceived notions or thoughts about RDs, please tell us how long you've been using RDs or other units? etc. -- or any other relevant info you think might be important, let us know that as well.
I wanted to use the form to start the thread, but basically I have it narrowed to 3 categories.

I am willing to use apps to setup and enhance the system, however when my wife is driving, it needs to work when it needs to & be quiet when it doesn't. She won't have patience for falses.

I am also concerned about the BSM tripping them, I see the occasional mention of Honda/Acura BSM causing issues, but the posts seem to be older.

$$ : DP360 / R3 - I was pretty sold on the DP360 as being a great option, but the mysterious sleep issue has me concerned.

$$$ : R7 / V1G2 - Pricey but king(s) of the hill for good reason it seems.

$$$$$$ : Radenso RC-M : I really want this & ALP long term goal, but its been OOS for a while now.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
If your wife is a major concern, then the DP360 is not a bad choice. It has decent range and features to quiet it down. I don't know how well it will play with your Honda, but with my driving, I have not seen a lot of Honda false alerts. The R3 should be fine in the Honda as it is a front horn detector only, but will require you to manually lock out your own false alert sources in your area. The upside is the R3 is a giant leap in performance over the Cobra.

So if you are ok with a little performance loss, you get the benefit of a very quiet detector with automatic lock outs with the DP360. I wouldn't sweat the sleeping issue too much, as it is a very rare event.

If you are ok with a little noisier experience and manual lock outs, you get the benefit of amazing K and Ka range with the R3.

I I were stuck with your budget as a hard line and had to decide for ME, I would pick the R3 every time, but I am also quite impressed with the DP360 overall as well.

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
R3 without a doubt.

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
R3!

darkhonda

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I I were stuck with your budget as a hard line and had to decide for ME, I would pick the R3 every time, but I am also quite impressed with the DP360 overall as well.
And if i open the budget up, what's your vote?

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
And if i open the budget up, what's your vote?
If the wife has to drive, I would pick the RL360C at this time. For a long range detector, it's very quiet and it learns its lock outs very quickly. The ONLY downsides to that choice is that it is slow on reaction time to strong instant on signals (it does get better with weak instant on signals, the delay can drop by about 1/2) and the ramp up sucks.

If that is too pricey, the R7 would be a fantastic choice, but be aware that if you rely on auto lock outs on the R7, it is VERY slow and frustrating for it to learn the majority of the sources. I've been running mine with firmware capable of auto lock outs for 2 months now and it STILL hasn't learned all the sources on my daily drive, but it's about 95% there. I guess it can be better if you reduce the K band performance down. There are members here who do that and they say it's pretty dang quiet.

For me personally, I love the V1G2 and the RL360C both as daily driving detectors. For my wife, she loves my old V1G1 with K band turned off, when I drive her vehicle, I turn K band back on (even though there is no K band around here).

Last edited:

darkhonda

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
If the wife has to drive, I would pick the RL360C at this time. For a long range detector, it's very quiet and it learns its lock outs very quickly. The ONLY downsides to that choice is that it is slow on reaction time to strong instant on signals (it does get better with weak instant on signals, the delay can drop by about 1/2) and the ramp up sucks.

If that is too pricey, the R7 would be a fantastic choice, but be aware that if you rely on auto lock outs on the R7, it is VERY slow and frustrating for it to learn the majority of the sources. I've been running mine with firmware capable of auto lock outs for 2 months now and it STILL hasn't learned all the sources on my daily drive, but it's about 95% there. I guess it can be better if you reduce the K band performance down. There are members here who do that and they say it's pretty dang quiet.

For me personally, I love the V1G2 and the RL360C both as daily driving detectors. For my wife, she loves my old V1G1 with K band turned off, when I drive her vehicle, I turn K band back on (even though there is no K band around here).
Thanks for all the advice. I watched all of @DC Fluid 's Mega Ka - Band with arrows videos today. Didn't make the decision any easier, but i did learn a few things. For one thing, the voice alerts on the Unidens seem steps above the old school alerts on the DP3660.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I watched all of @DC Fluid 's Mega Ka - Band with arrows videos today. Didn't make the decision any easier, but i did learn a few things. For one thing, the voice alerts on the Unidens seem steps above the old school alerts on the DP3660.
Uniden does have loud clear alerts with user adjustable levels of information for voice alerts.
Cobrascorts are on/off only.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
The R series has a much louder alert as well (along with frequent speaker failures) the DP360 has decent volume as well, it's just not as loud as the Uniden. Both have excellent alert tones, provided you aren't interested in hearing X band.

daviper

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I posted a used RC-M in the external links section if you're interested.

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Ordered my R3 today :)
I have a drive to Cleveland next weekend, going to let it the old trial by fire approach.
R3 should be a great detector for you! Congrats!! I’ve found firmware version 1.50 to be the best in terms of false rejection if that’s important to you.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itfitz