Highway Radar v2.6: Settings packs and side-loaded cameras

ferius

More arrows please
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
After such a long wait, I'm happy to announce Highway Radar v2.6. This version brings some nice improvements, primarily focused on settings and cameras. I plan to keep this version in beta for a couple of weeks and then release it publicly.

Highway Radar started as small tool solving one little task. Now it has developed into a giant with a huge amount of features. Some of the design solutions I used initially don't scale enough, so they have to be re-implemented. In the beginning, I planned this release mostly around cameras. However, when I tried to add preferences for the new cameras, I realized that user settings is such an area that needs to be redesigned now. Adding cameras preferences to the existing system would have consumed too much of my effort.

Highway Radar has more than 300 different preferences values, and part of them are generated dynamically (e.g., frequency rules). Android's default preferences framework isn't designed for such use cases. So, I decided to rebuild the entire app configuration part. I quite underestimated the amount of time I need to perform the migration. In the end, I added about 17K lines of code and deleted about 10K lines to make the new settings work. That took me more than a month.

However, that redesign allowed me to implement more cool features, such as settings packs, settings visualization, and more.

Settings packs

"Settings packs" is a further development of now existing profiles. The main difference is that the settings pack can only contain part of the settings, not necessarily all of them.

For example, you can have day/night settings packs, which control map look; you can also have city/highway settings packs, which control alerting distances and sounds. That wasn't possible before, as these profiles would have interfered with each other. Settings packs allow only including necessary values to the packs without touching others.

To control which values are included, long-press on any preference. If you have any settings packs configured, you'll see a dialog displaying how different packs work with that preference. A settings pack may contain a preference in three different states:
  • Stored - some value is stored for this preference in this settings pack. Upon application of the settings pack, the preference value will be updated.
  • Disallowed - the preference is explicitly excluded from the settings pack. The settings pack will never update the preference value upon application.
  • Not set - the preference isn't stored in the settings pack but will be written upon the next update of the settings pack.
In the dialog mentioned above, the pencil icon writes the preference (or all preferences from a group) to the settings pack. The "block" icon puts a "disallowed" flag on a preference. The checkmark icon removes the "disallowed" flag from a preference.

Unfortunately, I your existing profiles will be deleted after this update. Migrating them would have taken too much of my time.

Settings visualization

When working with many settings packs, it is easy to make mistakes. Even with 5-10 settings packs, you may need to work with thousands of individual values. To make that easier, I created a settings viewer tool. That tool requires you to make a backup of your settings. Then it takes the backup key and displays all the preferences values as an easy-to-read table.

Cameras updates

As it was requested many times, I added support for side-loaded enforcement cameras databases. I hoped to use some existing formats, but, unfortunately, none of them can offer the features I want to have, and none of them has good extensibility.

So I decided to invent the wheel a new format, which is powerful enough to support all features of Highway Radar. The format is called ExCam, and its technical description is available on a dedicated page. Also, expect tools for converting from other formats to ExCam by the time this update is released to public. By the way, ExCam format supports automatic database updates out of the box.

Also, the implementation of the cameras in Highway Radar has changed; cameras can support multiple enforcement directions, and more types of cameras; also, more control has been added over alerts.

This update comes with a lot of modifications in the internals of the application, so please expect it to stay in beta for an extended period. Also, please report any bugs or issues you may encounter.

The next update will also, likely, take a lot of time. I'm going to be working on stability, performance, and battery usage; so, please, bear with me until this is over, and I can return to the new features.

Have fun! And special thanks to those 284 people who switched to the beta update channel!

plm

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm still not seeing 2.6 available for update, even on the beta channel. Is it still with Google for approval, or do I have something wrong on my end?

Maz3

Don't hate me just because I'm beautiful 🤣
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm still not seeing 2.6 available for update, even on the beta channel. Is it still with Google for approval, or do I have something wrong on my end?
It'll show up eventually 🤞😉. Google often does phased rollouts.

It's still the previous version for me too.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Nice, thanks for the great update!

Speaking of which, my wife just drove to the airport tonight. We thought she was flying out tomorrow night, but about 2.5 hours before departure, we realized she needed to leave tonight! A mad scramble later, she was out the door and I was taking care of last minute things from home and pulling up HR to scout the drive ahead for her. It worked out great and she made it in time! :D

So thanks again for your awesome app!

G37X Jockey

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I just updated and the app immediately goes into background. It will not stay in foreground.
Is there a way to roll back to the previous version?
Samsung SM-A520W
Android 8.0.0

Last edited:

UnderCover

Beep...Beep...Beep Beep...Beeeeeeeeeep!
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I also updated and HR pops up and cancels out of the app instantly. My phones a dual screen LGV60 with Android 11.

nomore55

PSL +10%
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm having the same issue as G37x. Program keeps disappearing at start up. I guess it is in the background and wants to stay there.

Samsung A20
Android 10

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I wonder if the backgrounding is a settings thing? Mine loads up just fine and stays running.

spanky

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Very nice!!!!
Thanks!

G37X Jockey

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I wonder if the backgrounding is a settings thing? Mine loads up just fine and stays running.
You may be right, but I can't find a setting to turn off background function. I had to remove myself from the beta program, uninstall the app and install the public version which works fine on my phone.

UnderCover

Intermediate User
Reaction score
I did the same... Uninstalled the app, removed beta program and installed the public version of HR. It works now but had to fix all my settings again.

UnderCover

Intermediate User
Reaction score
I also updated and HR pops up and cancels out of the app instantly. My phones a dual screen LGV60 with Android
Post automatically merged:

I did the same... Uninstalled the app, removed beta program and installed the public version of HR. It works now but had to fix all my settings again.
Grrrr... The version is 2.5.2.... I need to reinstall the Beta version if I can get it back and hope v2. 6 is gonna work.

Grrrr... The version is 2.5.2.... I need to reinstall the Beta version if I can get it back and hope v2. 6 is gonna work.
I got the Beta back but this new version still cancels out of the app. Hope this gets fixed soon. I'm so use to this app and hardly use Waze now.

Last edited:

jcp

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Last edited:

ferius

More arrows please
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
I'm working on finding the cause of the app backgrounding itself. It is not an expected bahavior and that is why beta program exists - being able to find such issues before public roll-out. Will keep everyone posted on my progress.

UnderCover

Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm working on finding the cause of the app backgrounding itself. It is not an expected bahavior and that is why beta program exists - being able to find such issues before public roll-out. Will keep everyone posted on my progress.
Thanks. It's a bummer it's not working correctly for some of us. I had to use Waze today and could not use HR. I cannot wait to use v2.6 when the bugs are worked out. Thanks as always! You're awesome!

ferius

More arrows please
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Managed to localize the problem. A temporary workaround - ensure that all four map circles (Settings -> Display -> Map circles) are enabled (set to some value). I'm now releasing a new version with this bug fixed.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agoose