help with first update, on a Mac

steeltag

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I just got a new R7 and am taking a long trip to Texas Tuesday but wanted to update to 1.37 firmware. I cannot figure out how to the the right file, even following the directions for my 10.13 Mac OS.
Here is what the website says to do:
MAC UPDATE PROGRAM FOR R Series DFR7/DFR9/R1/R3/R7 (01/22/2021)

No file to unzip is found, just Uniden R Series Tool V1....that leads to a mac-os.driver/v6.0 which has nothing in it. What am I missing?

I did install Silicon Labs VCP Driver after reading the notes/troubleshooting ( installs cp210x vcp driver), but nothing comes of it.
And of course....apparently the connected to the mac with Uniden's supplied cable...R7 doesn't seem to be recognized.

I was hoping to register on the website to be able to register the product/sign in has been hopeless. All that occurs is a msg saying 'login failed', reset pasword....so I did, 3 times, with same result. Anyone have any insight for rectifying this issue?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 9.51.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 9.51.56 PM.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 29

steeltag

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@regisadeglans yes! I was trying to get this taken care of for a long road trip but didn't ( I left today). I called Uniden support and talked with one.....not super helpful, he suspects its a 'cord' issue of why the computer wasn't recognizing the device and opening/loading the necessary programs. A brand new cord from them.... Well, I just realized I didn't bring a cord with me to even attempt to plug it in my MacBook Air laptop........so I'm doubting I can do anything till I get back home in a week?

newellj

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
A related question about Mac updating. For confirmation, when updating with a Mac, there is no "recovery mode" option, correct?

Jamienbaker

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
A related question about Mac updating. For confirmation, when updating with a Mac, there is no "recovery mode" option, correct?
I just opened v1.4 of the Uniden tool on my Mac and recovery box is there, ready to be checked (though I never have).

regisadeglans

Intermediate User
Reaction score
I’ve never used the recovery mode, updating to 1.35 nor 1.37. Keep in mind that I’m one of those that does perform a factory reset after updating.

drewloftus

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi guys - I've been searching the forum and this seemed like the closest/most recent discussion to my issue. If I overlooked something please point me in the right direction!

I just received my R7 for a family road trip next week and am hung-up trying to update it. I knew updates had issues and watched Vortex Radar's tutorial to make sure I didn't do anything stupid (I'm normally pretty good with these sorts of things).

I can't get the Mac update software to recognize my detector when it's plugged in. I've tried multiple short cords of the same type connector but still nothing. Using a MacBook Pro w/Big Sur V11.4. Tried plugging into my computer directly w/USB adapter and also through my doc to no avail. Wanted to ask the question before I start trying to use other computers...

Any thoughts on what I should try?

Cheers!

rcmike

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@drewloftus Did you try installing the USB driver first? The disk image is called SiLabsUSBDriverDisk.dmg. Once the disk image is loaded run the "Install CP210x VCP Driver" installer. MacOS may ask you to approve before it is run. Once the driver is installed then the updater should recognize your R7.
Post automatically merged:

...my time to edit the previous post expired, so reposting more complete info:

@drewloftus Did you try installing the USB driver first?

Install USB Driver (MacOS)
The disk image is called SiLabsUSBDriverDisk.dmg. Once the disk image is loaded run the "Install CP210x VCP Driver" installer. MacOS may ask you to approve before it is run. Once the driver is installed then the updater should recognize your R7. If you need to install or re-install the updater, then do the next step:

Install Uniden R Series Tool V1.4.pkg (firmware updater)
When you double click to run the pkg installer, you may get a warning saying "cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer." In that case, click ok to dismiss that warning and then instead of double clicking the pkg installer, right-click (or control-click) on the pkg file and select "Open". Then you should be able to install the firmware updater.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

drewloftus

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@rcmike That worked! I missed the USB driver. You're the man... It sure would be nice if the R7 display showed something to confirm it was plugged in and/or communicating with a computer - and what a convoluted update process. Really appreciate your quick response!!

Cheers!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdubz