R7 1.37 34.7 Settings Comparison

Panda08

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks for the testing @Rags guess I will be rolling mine back to 1.35
I'm back to 133... can't go back to slow arrows.

I'd like to know if someone does find v137 sleeping, if it will eventually go back to detecting or does it require a power restart.
possible scenarios:
1) it sleeps- gets hit by a few different K/Ka/MRCD sources- does it wake up?
2) change K filter to OFF (or whatever settings adjustment), and then can it go back to detecting?

in Rags testing example, if he gets 1 run with an abnormally short detection, would driving around and then repeating the runs, without turning off/on the detector, yield the same results (1 short and 2 longs) or would he get 3 poor detections? So many what ifs.. thanks for those testing.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score

I'd like to know if someone does find v137 sleeping, if it will eventually go back to detecting or does it require a power restart.
possible scenarios:
2) change K filter to OFF (or whatever settings adjustment), and then can it go back to detecting?

in Rags testing example, if he gets 1 run with an abnormally short detection, would driving around and then repeating the runs, without turning off/on the detector, yield the same results (1 short and 2 longs) or would he get 3 poor detections? So many what ifs.. thanks for those testing.
I don't think it's sleeping. It's just lazy with the weak signals at times. For example, if I drove slowly, the R7 would have alerted at the long distance cluster every single time. If I had parked at the turn around, it would have eventually alerted every time. This matches what I've seen in the real world observations. There are sources where I expected a weak alert (police car parked at the station) and I either got none or it would only alert when getting to the 2 to 3 bar strength. The frustrating thing is that at times it appears to be normal, in those cases I think the weak signal is just more persistent.

Marty K

Always Driving Vigilantly
Advanced User
Reaction score
I don't think it's sleeping. It's just lazy with the weak signals at times. For example, if I drove slowly, the R7 would have alerted at the long distance cluster every single time. If I had parked at the turn around, it would have eventually alerted every time. This matches what I've seen in the real world observations. There are sources where I expected a weak alert (police car parked at the station) and I either got none or it would only alert when getting to the 2 to 3 bar strength. The frustrating thing is that at times it appears to be normal, in those cases I think the weak signal is just more persistent.
Exactly what I was thinking! Weak signals must be somewhat "persistent" before alert is generated. If such weak signals are fluctuating, they are being ignored. And I think this behavior was introduced with 1.35, but not so dulled down as with 1.37...

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking! Weak signals must be somewhat "persistent" before alert is generated. If such weak signals are fluctuating, they are being ignored. And I think this behavior was introduced with 1.35, but not so dulled down as with 1.37...
With K band, for sure, it was on 1.35. But I considered that an attribute. 1.35 was the first version I could somewhat stand with K band enabled.

Marty K

Always Driving Vigilantly
Advanced User
Reaction score
With K band, for sure, it was on 1.35. But I considered that an attribute. 1.35 was the first version I could somewhat stand with K band enabled.
When I saw the long alert delays earlier today (and yesterday) during my bench testing (and I did many shots) - one thing was very obvious on the display, every time:

The "heartbeat" (scan icon) would slow down, pause completely, and even disappear before the alert! So the RD definitely detects the radar almost immediately when I hit Xmit, but it's taking a sweet deal of time to decide to alert. Again, only for weak signal...

Maz3

Don't hate me just because I'm beautiful 🤣
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks @Rags for your testing.

I've rolled back to 1.35 with your and others' observations of 1.37's odd, and inconsistent performance

For those doing the same, check that you reinstall the current April database (if you want) as 1.35 rolled it back to January's database for me.

Panda08

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I went back and reread your first post. I’m sorry, I got your results confused with the other thread that’s discussing sleep issues. Thank you for clarifying.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
I went back and reread your first post. I’m sorry, I got your results confused with the other thread that’s discussing sleep issues. Thank you for clarifying.
You are fine, this behavior can make it appear as if it's sleeping, but after spending so much time on this, I just don't feel that's what is happening in my encounters.

RedThread

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thank you very much for testing.
~34.7 is popular in my area.

I have read the recent varied threads and the wild suppositions.. your interpretation and the calmer voices above, i find is more on point.

I clean flashed the R7, twice to fw137.. and purged all automem points.
I also put the R3 fw150 back on the dash*.
The settings are closely aligned, so I'll play my part in the anecdotal crowd, later.

* 1 meter sep, if this is not good someone speak up.

G39x

Huntin' Rabbits
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I wonder if they have added additional processing for MRCD falses or just additional processing for alerts to quiet down the detector? This shouldn't be an issue with Ka though, so I wonder if the filtering they added accidentally was added to Ka and it got overlooked and thus we are seeing to what i seem to think of as a K-notch "weak" setting, but applied to the bands in a different implementation, but a similar idea.

Just thinking out loud here.

Thanks @Rags and all the testers that are looking at this.

I do want to say that the detector doesn't seem like it is sleeping or have issues not alerting, but of course based on the testing, it seems it is having issues alerting to weaker signals.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
I wonder if they have added additional processing for MRCD falses or just additional processing for alerts to quiet down the detector? This shouldn't be an issue with Ka though, so I wonder if the filtering they added accidentally was added to Ka and it got overlooked and thus we are seeing to what i seem to think of as a K-notch "weak" setting, but applied to the bands in a different implementation, but a similar idea.

Just thinking out loud here.

Thanks @Rags and all the testers that are looking at this.

I do want to say that the detector doesn't seem like it is sleeping or have issues not alerting, but of course based on the testing, it seems it is having issues alerting to weaker signals.
MRCD seems to have no effect on Ka with my testing.

It's kind of behaving like previous firmware versions did when you would enable Ka filter. I am wondering if it's stuck on even though we have it turned off.

CobawLT2010

I am a still small voice of calm and reason.
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Okay, I was able to get a lot of testing on 34.7 done today. It was very time consuming due to the nature of the course I used. I tested at the Hat 6 location as seen in this thread here:

Settings are as follows:

RL360C Highway, Ka Segmented 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, MRCD Off TSR Off
V1G2 All Bogeys, No Custom Freqencies
R7 Highway, Ka Segmented 2, 4, 5, 6, 8 MRCD On and Off as noted, TSF On and Off as noted.
DP360 Highway Segmented 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, TSR Off

The gun used was a Stalker Dual with the Antenna mounted on a tripod behind a sand pile as noted in the linked thread.

Again, I used the same style of test. First testing for the longest distance detection (which isn't the weakest signal), then saved where the detector was able to pick up the signal again on the way towards the gun until I got a constant detection. I also did tests for Forward-Facing, and also noted which detectors were able to detect the gun at the turn around location for the Forward-Facing tests. The turnaround location is the same as noted in the linked thread.

Here are the results from the longest detection:

View attachment 180912
You will note that the R7 failed to detect at this longest location twice during testing. This is the first time I've had the R7 NOT alert at the longest detection cluster area. I attempted to make runs where it wouldn't alert and stop in the middle of the road where it usually alerts, but while driving slow enough (around 35 mph), it always alerted. When driving the 65 mph speed limit, I believe it was going through the detection zone fast enough to make the R7 miss alerting. But that's just a guess. you will note that its longest detection in these cases was only where the cluster of constant alerting takes place.

Here are the results from the rest of the course, where I try to show how the detector is able to sniff out the signal not only from the longest point, but at places in between the longest cluster and the constant alert cluster, to give an idea of how sensitive a particular detector is:

View attachment 180913

This is the first time I have had the R7 not give me additional alerts along the way either. I may need to do more tests to see if this is repeatable on other days as well. The RL360C and the V1G2 both do very well at picking up these weak stray signals.

Here are the results from the Forward Facing tests:

View attachment 180914
There is nothing shocking here, I have seen inconsistent results with Forward Facing and the R series before, but I did get one unusually high result from the R7. The V1G2 and RL360C both perform somewhat like I have come to expect.

During each of the Forward-Facing runs, I would turn around at the turn-around location. It was noted in the past that some detectors were able to sniff out the gun while turning around there, so I made sure to document which ones alerted during the process of turning around there:

View attachment 180915

This is the first time I didn't have the R7 alert during any of the turn arounds. I did some additional tests and found that if I let the R7 "stew" at the turn around, it would usually alert after a short time. This is new behavior for the R7.

I also did make note of which detectors had erroneous high bogey counts while driving by the gun, the R7 reported multiple bogeys every single run, sometimes maxing out the 4 bogey counts. The V1G2 only reported 1 the entire time, the RL360C only reported 2 bogeys one run. The DP360 is incapable of such nonsense.

I also made note of arrow behavior. All detectors performed acceptably with arrows performance. On 1.35, the R7 would almost never switch when approaching the gun running face-on. It now works similar to the others. The DP360 has quite good arrow response as well, and I find that I kind of like the way it displays the arrows vs. the RL360C.
I have opposite results with the R7 doing well and the RL360C dropping out similarly from my last testing. V1G2 was spectacular no matter what I threw at it though.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have opposite results with the R7 doing well and the RL360C dropping out similarly from my last testing. V1G2 was spectacular no matter what I threw at it though.
When was the last time you ran a RL360C?

SilenceDogoodNinja

SDN
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score

possible scenarios:

On my encounter it alerted to first k band LEO and then slept through the 2nd that occurred about a minute later. After 2nd LEO I shot it with my pocket Radar k band and it alerted. Did not reboot it so it did go back to detecting

G39x

Huntin' Rabbits
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I also wanted to put out another thought.

I don't remember if it was 1.33 or 1.35, however when @DC Fluid found out that turning MRCD on results in better BSM filtering and then someone (maybe vortex, not sure who) said that Uniden is aware of this and is looking into it more closely, I wonder if they messed with under the hood bsm filtering as a minimum filter, but accidentally messed with other settings, lets see what happens, I know probably by now, Uniden is aware of the issue.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I also wanted to put out another thought.

I don't remember if it was 1.33 or 1.35, however when @DC Fluid found out that turning MRCD on results in better BSM filtering and then someone (maybe vortex, not sure who) said that Uniden is aware of this and is looking into it more closely, I wonder if they messed with under the hood bsm filtering as a minimum filter, but accidentally messed with other settings, lets see what happens, I know probably by now, Uniden is aware of the issue.
I noticed this on firmware 133 and Vortex contacted Uniden/Attowave and they had no idea of this effect.
Now they know, hope they don't tinker in the wrong directions.

CobawLT2010

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
When was the last time you ran a RL360C?
3 months ago… I’m sure software changed…? I was running latest then. Only tested against my 33.8 python 2.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
3 months ago… I’m sure software changed…? I was running latest then. Only tested against my 33.8 python 2.
Interesting. The RL360C, since firmware 1.7 (now 1.8) has been one of the most consistent in testing for me. This is with hundreds of tests and many thousands of miles of use.

Maybe there was something wrong with yours? These aren't known to be the most reliable devices.

CobawLT2010

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Interesting. The RL360C, since firmware 1.7 (now 1.8) has been one of the most consistent in testing for me. This is with hundreds of tests and many thousands of miles of use.

Maybe there was something wrong with yours? These aren't known to be the most reliable devices.
It’s not mine, borrowed from a friend. I’d say the same thing about your R7…? Honestly, I dunno.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itfitz