R7 1.37 34.7 Settings Comparison

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Okay, I was able to get a lot of testing on 34.7 done today. It was very time consuming due to the nature of the course I used. I tested at the Hat 6 location as seen in this thread here:

Settings are as follows:

RL360C Highway, Ka Segmented 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, MRCD Off TSR Off
V1G2 All Bogeys, No Custom Freqencies
R7 Highway, Ka Segmented 2, 4, 5, 6, 8 MRCD On and Off as noted, TSF On and Off as noted.
DP360 Highway Segmented 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, TSR Off

The gun used was a Stalker Dual with the Antenna mounted on a tripod behind a sand pile as noted in the linked thread.

Again, I used the same style of test. First testing for the longest distance detection (which isn't the weakest signal), then saved where the detector was able to pick up the signal again on the way towards the gun until I got a constant detection. I also did tests for Forward-Facing, and also noted which detectors were able to detect the gun at the turn around location for the Forward-Facing tests. The turnaround location is the same as noted in the linked thread.

Here are the results from the longest detection:

1.37 H6 Longest.JPG

You will note that the R7 failed to detect at this longest location twice during testing. This is the first time I've had the R7 NOT alert at the longest detection cluster area. I attempted to make runs where it wouldn't alert and stop in the middle of the road where it usually alerts, but while driving slow enough (around 35 mph), it always alerted. When driving the 65 mph speed limit, I believe it was going through the detection zone fast enough to make the R7 miss alerting. But that's just a guess. you will note that its longest detection in these cases was only where the cluster of constant alerting takes place.

Here are the results from the rest of the course, where I try to show how the detector is able to sniff out the signal not only from the longest point, but at places in between the longest cluster and the constant alert cluster, to give an idea of how sensitive a particular detector is:

1.37 H6 Multiple.JPG

This is the first time I have had the R7 not give me additional alerts along the way either. I may need to do more tests to see if this is repeatable on other days as well. The RL360C and the V1G2 both do very well at picking up these weak stray signals.

Here are the results from the Forward Facing tests:

1.37 H6 FF.JPG

There is nothing shocking here, I have seen inconsistent results with Forward Facing and the R series before, but I did get one unusually high result from the R7. The V1G2 and RL360C both perform somewhat like I have come to expect.

During each of the Forward-Facing runs, I would turn around at the turn-around location. It was noted in the past that some detectors were able to sniff out the gun while turning around there, so I made sure to document which ones alerted during the process of turning around there:

1.37 H6 Turnaround.JPG

This is the first time I didn't have the R7 alert during any of the turn arounds. I did some additional tests and found that if I let the R7 "stew" at the turn around, it would usually alert after a short time. This is new behavior for the R7.

I also did make note of which detectors had erroneous high bogey counts while driving by the gun, the R7 reported multiple bogeys every single run, sometimes maxing out the 4 bogey counts. The V1G2 only reported 1 the entire time, the RL360C only reported 2 bogeys one run. The DP360 is incapable of such nonsense.

I also made note of arrow behavior. All detectors performed acceptably with arrows performance. On 1.35, the R7 would almost never switch when approaching the gun running face-on. It now works similar to the others. The DP360 has quite good arrow response as well, and I find that I kind of like the way it displays the arrows vs. the RL360C.

Too3zln

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks. Since autolockouts were updated, I wonder if that might have something to do with this issue.
Post automatically merged:

Did you happen to have that function enabled?

Marty K

Always Driving Vigilantly
Advanced User
Reaction score
Awesome data, @Rags!

Thank you very much for all your time invested in this!

I do have a suspicion that the R7 is behaving (I should say misbehaving) totally different with weak signals (K or Ka) than prior to 1.35 firmware versions. On my bench test (Stalker Dual with K and Ka antennas), if the signal is 1-2 bars (even 3 at times), the alert is delayed on average of 1 second (TSF ON leads to more consistent alert delay, not necessarily longer one!). Give it at least 3 (persistent), or 4-5 bar signal strength, and the alert is almost instant, even with TSF ON!

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks. Since autolockouts were updated, I wonder if that might have something to do with this issue.
Post automatically merged:

Did you happen to have that function enabled?
Yes, I do. This area is void of other radar sources or RF interference. All runs were void of traffic as well.

oktavf

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for testing! 1.37 is not looking good at all it seems! Not to mention the on going random sleep issues...

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for testing! 1.37 is not looking good at all it seems! Not to mention the on going random sleep issues...
I think this demonstrates the perceived sleep issue. It appears that sometimes weak signals aren't being reported right away.

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Fantastic testing. I wish I had waited for your testing before installing 1.37. I’ve noticed odd behavior, although mostly limited to volume issues with KA. I may rollback to 1.35 and wait for 1.39 to hopefully resolve the issues created by 1.37.

Thanks again. You are invaluable to this forum.

Panda08

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thank you for the time invested in the testing- great to see some hard data.
Curious, between the runs or settings change, did you power off the detector and back on? I'm wondering if that 'resets' any of the sleeping behavior, or if it's just attributed to the weak signal.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thank you for the time invested in the testing- great to see some hard data.
Curious, between the runs or settings change, did you power off the detector and back on? I'm wondering if that 'resets' any of the sleeping behavior, or if it's just attributed to the weak signal.
Yes, on the R7 I power it off after changing, it starts so fast it's no big deal.

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks for testing! I will be rolling my R7 back to 1.35. I can take slow arrows but any signs of reduced KA are a no go for me.

Borntoride2020

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks for testing!!
The RL360C is a beast!
and I watched it take IO Ka 34.7 shots against 2 moto cops the other day. No issues at all. It picked them up without any problem. I have full confidence in it. Not sure about K band because I have it off.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time for this testing @Rags ! Great job breaking this down! I don't own a R7, but if I did 1.37 would be a no go for me based on everything I've seen so far.

Last edited:

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for the testing @Rags! It's good to get some data points on 1.37. I'm one of the users who has seen reduced performance firsthand, and it's nice to see that I'm not crazy. 1.35 went back on my R7 for now, despite the horrible arrows.

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks fr the results... I typically wait to roll out to the latest firmware until it's fully "implemented" At this point it feels like it's beta.. but that might be new the meta.

I wouldn't mind buying the 360c to try it out.. How is it on K band? I/O results are harsh.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks fr the results... I typically wait to roll out to the latest firmware until it's fully "implemented" At this point it feels like it's beta.. but that might be new the meta.

I wouldn't mind buying the 360c to try it out.. How is it on K band? I/O results are harsh.
It's top on K range, but bottom on reaction time, better than the R7 with BSM noise, slightly less than the V1G2.

RoadDogg

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Rags , Thanks for taking the time to do this testing. I know it is time consuming, but we appreciate the test results and you.

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
It's top on K range, but bottom on reaction time, better than the R7 with BSM noise, slightly less than the V1G2.
Would love to see the R3 in these ranks.. I feel like it would be up there. 34.7 is solid

hiddencam

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks @Rags for this data! I'm very glad you were able to get it to show its ugly head. And since one of those 2 bad runs is with MRCD off + TSF off, there goes the possibility that it is related to one of those! I'll email the link to this test thread to the Uniden beta team leader and he will pass it along to the engineers.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks @Rags for this data! I'm very glad you were able to get it to show its ugly head. And since one of those 2 bad runs is with MRCD off + TSF off, there goes the possibility that it is related to one of those! I'll email the link to this test thread to the Uniden beta team leader and he will pass it along to the engineers.
Yeah, it's kind of strange. The R7 has been a bit wide in its results, but there is something going on. The Ka range is reduced from what I expect.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agoose