Explorer ST ALP Install

hifibrucep

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I have got my ALP installed in my Explorer ST. My goal was to not modify any part of the vehicle so if I ever took the system out there would be no holes or sign that I had anything installed in the vehicle. For the rear sensors I did have the drill a hole underneath the rear Explorer bracket. I use a rubber grommet and silicone around it to prevent any leaks were the wires went through. My nephew made angle mounts to level the rear heads. We also designed the mounts so I can attach Perspex covers to hide the rear sensors. I have ordered a sheet of Perspex but it is on backorder until August. I ran the rear sensor wires through the factory grommets to the front of the dash area. For the front sensors I did not want to cut my grill to install the regular heads so I used the lower bumper area for all the heads. I did have to drill a hole through the the firewall because I did not want to compromise the factory wire harness. Ford had it sealed pretty well. Since the firewall was steel I painted the exposed metal and installed a rubber grommet and used silicone were the wires went through the grommet. My nephew made me a mount for my control pad and LED since I did not want to put any holes into my dash. I have tested the system with my Prolaser 3 and it JTG front and rear. I hope to get it tested against some of the harder guns.

Attachments

• Front Sensor Install.jpg
    Front Sensor Install.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 79
  • laser heads install.jpg
    laser heads install.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 76
  • Control Mount.jpg
    Control Mount.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 73
  • LED mount.jpg
    LED mount.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 75

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Looks great. That black piece of trim in the rear is perfect for blending with Perspex, I imagine.

Get tested and let us know the results! I imagine there are more optimized options for placement, but if it works then you’re golden.

V1Jake

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Good job with the brackets and install. Keep us posted.

hifibrucep

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Looks great. That black piece of trim in the rear is perfect for blending with Perspex, I imagine.

Get tested and let us know the results! I imagine there are more optimized options for placement, but if it works then you’re golden.
Thanks. I would of liked to put the heads into the grill but the slots in the grill taper and would have to cut the tapers out. If my system has trouble with other guns I will move them to the grill area.

Twi7ch

brap brap
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Nice install. You'll need to get tested against a DragonEye to really know how well your install is working for you. The current setup might be a bit low. Keep an eye out for a spare grill on ebay/facebook marketplace/auto wrecker. That way if you sold the car you could always put your original one back in and no one would be the wiser.

Make sure to give us an update once you've added the Perspex

hifibrucep

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I had my system tested against the DE was was getting punch throughs on the outer headlights at 600ft. I decided to move the RX heads into the grill along with 2 tx heads. I will update once I get it tested again. Also installed a Whipple Intercooler. The factory intercooler is very small.

Attachments

• ALP.jpg
    ALP.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 28
  • Intercooler.jpg
    Intercooler.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 30

darkhonda

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Since Ohio no longer needs FLP, would it be even better to remove the OSU plate, and move the RX heads up 2 rows to get closer to the headlights?

hifibrucep

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Since Ohio no longer needs FLP, would it be even better to remove the OSU plate, and move the RX heads up 2 rows to get closer to the headlights?
The way the grill on the ST is designed it is not friendly for an ALP install. The slots above where I placed the RX heads are molded tightly together. If you try to cut on one of the slots you will have to remove the other slots around it possibly leaving a big hole. That is why I have installed 2 TX heads. As for the license plate if I remove the plate the holder looks terrible. If you remove it there will be holes. I purchased painted plugs in an attempt to remove it but they didn't match very well.

RadarScout

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
As for the license
I think you should remove the plate because it's OSU. I'll send you a nice one from Alabama. :laugh:
How snug are the RX heads in the slots? Is it possible to file enough for the heads to fit, or is it really too small of an opening?

BTW, does your ST have blacked out wheels or polished? We've thought about getting the ST sometime in the future and my wife is on a blacked out fetish. I like them too, but Ford's polished wheels look nice too.

Last edited:

hifibrucep

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I think you should remove the plate because it's OSU. I'll send you a nice one from Alabama. :laugh:
How snug are the RX heads in the slots? Is it possible to file enough for the heads to fit, or is it really too small of an opening?

BTW, does your ST have blacked out wheels or polished? We've thought about getting the ST sometime in the future and my wife is on a blacked out fetish. I like them too, but Ford's polished wheels look nice too.
I left them out a little because of the previous location having trouble with the DE on the outer part of the headlights. I put the OSU plate on when I went to Ohio over the 4th hoping the state troopers wouldn't target me :D, it didn't work. I am going to put my Punisher plate back on. I have attached a side photo. I installed new springs that lowered it 1 1/4 "

Attachments

• ST.jpg
    ST.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 13

Lucky225

Advanced User
Reaction score
I left them out a little because of the previous location having trouble with the DE on the outer part of the headlights. I put the OSU plate on when I went to Ohio over the 4th hoping the state troopers wouldn't target me :D, it didn't work. I am going to put my Punisher plate back on. I have attached a side photo. I installed new springs that lowered it 1 1/4 "
Did you get it retested yet?

RadarScout

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I left them out a little because of the previous location having trouble with the DE on the outer part of the headlights
Ok. If you still have punch throughs, move the RX sensors up 2 slats. With 2 TX, you're covered in the center. That should get you better coverage of the headlights IMO. Maybe even moving the RX up 2 and out 1 will give more coverage?

Those wheels look great.

hifibrucep

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Did you get it retested yet?
I hope to get it retested this weekend.
Post automatically merged:

How’s the quad exhaust?
The factory exchaust is terrible. I am in the process of ordering the borla S cat back system. Hope to have it installed soon
Post automatically merged:

Ok. If you still have punch throughs, move the RX sensors up 2 slats. With 2 TX, you're covered in the center. That should get you better coverage of the headlights IMO. Maybe even moving the RX up 2 and out 1 will give more coverage?

Those wheels look great.
I hope I don't have to move them the grill is not easily modified the farther you go up.The slots intertwine each other.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Livsy