Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
So I'm checking out the S8 install manual at the moment and just saw something that reminded me of this thread:

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 11.35.16 AM.png

Looks like it is okay to mount a plastic bar across the radar head if it's covering the outer portion. However, if it's covering the smaller square in the center of the antenna, that's not okay.

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Looks like it is okay to mount a plastic bar across the radar head
Not a plastic bar but rather a thin (flat) plastic bumper cover.

However, if it's covering the smaller square in the center of the antenna, that's not okay.
In this case we know that thick plastic is right across the face of it.

dnanian

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

Unfortunately, on this car, there's basically no open space under the thin bumper cover. All the 'space' is behind the black plastic, and none of that is flat. You'd have to make major modifications to the safety equipment to get it in there, which wouldn't be worth it, imo. (But I'll ask them to take another look at it when it's apart again mid-July.)

Fortunately, all of those restrictions are in the rear; in the front, it's a clear shot through the thin cover. In the front, all the constraints are fiber-related.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

po-tay-to po-tah-to :p

jdong

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Looks like it is okay to mount a plastic bar across the radar head if it's covering the outer portion. However, if it's covering the smaller square in the center of the antenna, that's not okay.
Ooh it seems like they might have rearranged the patches a bit to make it just a small square area to avoid now?

I get that on this car it’s hard to abide by these mounting rules, but it’s a big YMMV what happens with these patch antennas if you irregularly obstruct the patches. It reminds me of some of the traditional horn radar antenna installs behind honeycomb grills and people get surprised that it drastically cuts down the range to the point that a $1000 remote is barely hanging in with a $200 WS mount.

If that’s your only option, then so be it.

(I felt like one of the bigger Stinger deficiencies is in an installation/dealer network. Their instructions and corporate advice is mostly stuff not to do, not solutions of how to do it on your car. If you’ve got a difficult to install car, it might take a bit of trial and error on your time and on your dime to tweak….)

dnanian

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
(I felt like one of the bigger Stinger deficiencies is in an installation/dealer network. Their instructions and corporate advice is mostly stuff not to do, not solutions of how to do it on your car. If you’ve got a difficult to install car, it might take a bit of trial and error on your time and on your dime to tweak….)
Interestingly, I think that's potentially an advantage. No manufacturer can afford to purchase and test-install in all cars. But if they ask their dealer network to report in successful, tested approaches, they can document reference installs across a broad spectrum of vehicles, and make that available to the rest of the network.

My install wasn't quoted on a time+materials basis, so any trial and error here is basically not my responsibility. But it's obviously a learning opportunity that will benefit the installer in the longer term...it just takes extra time the first time, which is why my install took two weeks rather than four days, with a follow-up visit booked.

AVI has been great during all this. They want this to be as awesome as I do, and you folks have been super helpful with the ideas, testing, etc.

jdong

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Interestingly, I think that's potentially an advantage. No manufacturer can afford to purchase and test-install in all cars. But if they ask their dealer network to report in successful, tested approaches, they can document reference installs across a broad spectrum of vehicles, and make that available to the rest of the network.

My install wasn't quoted on a time+materials basis, so any trial and error here is basically not my responsibility. But it's obviously a learning opportunity that will benefit the installer in the longer term...it just takes extra time the first time, which is why my install took two weeks rather than four days, with a follow-up visit booked.

AVI has been great during all this. They want this to be as awesome as I do, and you folks have been super helpful with the ideas, testing, etc.

I think that’s great, and maybe the dealer network situation has improved. Back when I was partnering with them a few years ago with the Stinger HD / VIP system, they had zero recommendations for a shop on this half of the United States and basically everything I needed done I had to negotiate myself with a local stereo shop, and none were willing to go on more than a hourly rate per incident basis.

I think what you described is absolutely an advantage, especially if there’s a partnership between the manufacturer and installer to make it worth the installer’s while to get the install right.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hey @Vortex , have you heard from them about your test antenna?
Not about that, though I’ve followed up a few times. I’ve got all the other gear in now so the S8 is the only thing I’m waiting for to move forward with installing everything.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score

There are literally like 10 dealers in the country who care enough and are qualified to work with manufacturers like you are suggesting. Ken at AVI is one of the good ones, but most shops are simply just not interested in doing something like this when they can make more money licking and sticking high-margin K40 installs that they don't even test. You've got to realize that the percentage of shops that test their installs with anything at all is in the single digits, and that the ones that test their installs with a Dragoneye gun or something like a Falcon HR could be counted on two hands until recently when we began sourcing and loaning test equipment to shops.

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Not about that, though I’ve followed up a few times. I’ve got all the other gear in now so the S8 is the only thing I’m waiting for to move forward with installing everything.
Thanks for the update. I thought about it because they recently sent out another promo email exclamation how popular the S8 has been already and that they are seeing longer shipping times due to all the orders. I have to believe the semiconductor shortage has more to do with that but good for them if it’s really become that popular. Makes me even more interested is seeing it get tested.

dnanian

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
There are literally like 10 dealers in the country who care enough and are qualified to work with manufacturers like you are suggesting. Ken at AVI is one of the good ones, but most shops are simply just not interested in doing something like this when they can make more money licking and sticking high-margin K40 installs that they don't even test.
I agree with this, of course: bad dealers are bad. :)

What I'm saying is that if those 10 good dealers document their successful, tested installs, all the dealers and manufacturers obtain a mutual benefit, and happier customers because the systems sold to them (whether Stinger, Radenso, ALP, whatever) are much more likely to work as they, the dealers and the manufacturers want them to, and say they will.

K40, well... >sad trombone<

utah62

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I just heard from Stinger here in The Netherlands that lead-times for the new antenna are 4-5 weeks. Not sure how long it is in the US.

dnanian

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
So @dnanian , how’s the system been treating you these last couple of weeks? Any new insights or info?

It's been fine! I've currently got it dialed way up for pure diagnostic purposes, and it's still remarkably quiet. But despite my efforts, I haven't been tagged by real radar or laser, despite going quite a bit of driving. Clearly I'm going to the wrong places. Or the right places. Depends on your perspective. :)

The folks at MSC/Stinger indicated there would be a new firmware version in Stinger Tools in the next week or so. I'm not sure what changes it's focusing on, though, other than the relatively vague "altering AI filtering". I have sent in a bunch of logging to verify proper operation, though...and, I'm sure they're getting feedback from the field now that they're shipping and dealing with the inevitable stuff that comes up whenever even the most thoroughly tested product encounters the public.

Ask me how I know! >sigh<

As I'm sure I mentioned before, @NorEaster18 and I will get together at some point to do some more formal testing...we just haven't had an opportunity yet. I'm sure he'll post the 'formal' results here when done, and I'll chime in too.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
It's been fine! I've currently got it dialed way up for pure diagnostic purposes, and it's still remarkably quiet.
Great to hear!
But despite my efforts, I haven't been tagged by real radar or laser, despite going quite a bit of driving. Clearly I'm going to the wrong places. Or the right places. Depends on your perspective. :)
lol, I swear sometimes it seems like new radar detectors are like police car repellant. :p

scottyv630

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Question - Does anyone know how much the s8 antenna only costs? I have a few emails/calls out to stinger but have not heard back. Would like to know if it makes any sense or just to wait for Radenso

utah62

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Question - Does anyone know how much the s8 antenna only costs? I have a few emails/calls out to stinger but have not heard back. Would like to know if it makes any sense or just to wait for Radenso
Here in the Netherlands approx €1400.- exc installation.

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I believe there is a pricing section on their website where you can figure that out. Not sure if it’s combined with any other hardware but I believe there is a listing for just the antenna.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ronp