R7 Firmware 137 Recommended Settings: Compilation of Members Advice

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Go to your K band settings where it has narrow/wide/extended. Select extended. It will allow the detector to scan down low for Redflex K band.
For some reason different parts of the world run Redflex at different frequencies.
NZ/AU seems lower and K Extended would be the choice.
Here in Canada it fits easily into K Wide, but at the low end.
Most frequencies I've seen posted for USA would be K Wide as well, but that is just what I've seen here, not verified by any source I can reference.

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Go to your K band settings where it has narrow/wide/extended. Select extended. It will allow the detector to scan down low for Redflex K band.
Thanks Disco, I've since discovered that the recent redflex encounters I've had are at 24.087 GHz, which fit into K wide and I get a lot more range by mounting the detector vertically. Is there anything else I can do?

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks Disco, I've since discovered that the recent redflex encounters I've had are at 24.087 GHz, which fit into K wide and I get a lot more range by mounting the detector vertically. Is there anything else I can do?
You covered it. Highway Mode right?
You can increase range of K band in general since 135, by turning off TSF. You will see some increase in falses.
If you really want to punish yourself go max range and turn off K Filter.

RayC

Driving
Beginner User
Reaction score
All relative of course. I never said the r7 had bad K range.
However, I think I read that the V1G2 has better k band range.

Maybe Valentine improved their K range since I had the G2 but as someone who hates falses more than anything I had to run it in large "L" (logic) mode along with using a phone to add additional lockouts to get it quiet enough to use and the range in that mode was dangerously short. Getting alerts when you're basically already in the kill zone wasn't ideal and the falsing in all bogeys mode was too much noise.

I get usable (actionable) range for me with the R7 in City mode on K band. While we know the R7 is capable of pretty etreme K range if Iturned up to a more sensitive setting for me having what are often zero falses on a drive and still having enough range on K to take action for where I drive was the sweet spot.

Again, I mostly see Ka and K only 2 or 3 times a week.

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks DC fluid
You covered it. Highway Mode right?
You can increase range of K band in general since 135, by turning off TSF. You will see some increase in falses.
If you really want to punish yourself go max range and turn off K Filter.
I have those settings.
What about mrcd. If I have it on, will it help with redflex detection?
I dont know the logic, but I seem to recall one member suggesting this.
I had another detector, Genevo Max, and when I encountered redflex, it alerted as multaradar.
Post automatically merged:

Maybe Valentine improved their K range since I had the G2 but as someone who hates falses more than anything I had to run it in large "L" (logic) mode along with using a phone to add additional lockouts to get it quiet enough to use and the range in that mode was dangerously short. Getting alerts when you're basically already in the kill zone wasn't ideal and the falsing in all bogeys mode was too much noise.

I get usable (actionable) range for me with the R7 in City mode on K band. While we know the R7 is capable of pretty etreme K range if Iturned up to a more sensitive setting for me having what are often zero falses on a drive and still having enough range on K to take action for where I drive was the sweet spot.

I'm surprised to the this RayC, there are members here with the V1G2 who reckon it is the quietest detector, with its full band scanning and smart rejection of falses.
Have you the latest firmware? Although "had" seems to indicate you got rid!

Last edited:

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks DC fluid

I have those settings.
I had another detector, Genevo Max, and when I encountered redflex, it alerted as multaradar.

I'm surprised to the this RayC, there are members here with the V1G2 who reckon it is the quietest detector, with its full band scanning and smart rejection of falses.
MRCD on is hurting K Band range on firmware 137, against the Falcon HR low powered patch antenna gun.
With those observations I would keep it off if:
1) You face Redflex
2) You face K Band police radar, especially 24.125 centered Kustom radar maker Falcon HR and Raptor. (Handheld and dash versions)

MRCD on only if needed against MRCD, MRCT or Gatso if your GPS speed camera locations aren't enough, because of new locations or mobile units.

With the disclaimer if you drive a Mazda CX-5 polluter then good luck with any combination, MRCD on helps but.....

Last edited:

Marty K

Always Driving Vigilantly
Advanced User
Reaction score
"... I get usable (actionable) range for me with the R7 in City mode on K band. While we know the R7 is capable of pretty etreme K range if Iturned up to a more sensitive setting for me having what are often zero falses on a drive and still having enough range on K to take action for where I drive was the sweet spot..."
@RayC, I am just curious if you can provide any (estimated/approximate) distance of your K band encounters in City Mode? Also, what terrain is that? I am asking because I usually drive in tough terrain and run Highway Mode with 1.37 (Advanced with K 70% on 1.33; never really drove with 1.35), and it seems as the detection range is pretty short. I understand this is expected with tough terrain ( and not saying something is wrong here), so I just want to see what your distances are and the type of terrain you face there, simply as a comparison...

Thanks!

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

The R7 is the best out there on City Mode sensitivity (pending a complete Auto Mode rundown against RL360c).
However, if you use the settings in the OP, and run Advanced Mode 30, 40, or 50% depending on your environment you may find it just as quiet if you've been doing lockouts.
Firmware 135 & 137 really stepped up filtering and it's now much quieter, allowing you to use higher sensitivities than previous firmwares.
For instance, I now run Highway mode 100% of the time in my city vs. 40% K when on F133.
I use Advanced K 50% now when entering different cities that may have lots of unlocked junk signals.

The disclaimer to this is if you've been driving around on City mode doing lockouts you will need to lockout again on the misses from being on a lower sensitivity, so give it time to quiet down if you initially get more door openers.
BSM is unlikely to bother you at 30-50% K levels.

Try it out and enjoy more protection if it works out for you.

RayC

Driving
Beginner User
Reaction score
@RayC, I am just curious if you can provide any (estimated/approximate) distance of your K band encounters in City Mode? Also, what terrain is that? I am asking because I usually drive in tough terrain and run Highway Mode with 1.37 (Advanced with K 70% on 1.33; never really drove with 1.35), and it seems as the detection range is pretty short. I understand this is expected with tough terrain ( and not saying something is wrong here), so I just want to see what your distances are and the type of terrain you face there, simply as a comparison...

Thanks!
They vary from anywhere about .5 mile to maybe 1/8 of a mile. This is hilly, curvy roads with either lots of houses and/or trees/woods. I would say on the shortest of detections its 4 or 5 seconds. In those cases since I am familiar with the stationary hideouts I know to drop anchor quickly. Some of those places because of the terrain and changes in elevation and how off axis they are sitting I am not sure even 70% would get me more than another second or so. I do know if I even bump up to 30% I start to get the bsm falses which in city mode are pretty rare. A couple days ago I changed it from city to 30% for K band and had two bsm falses in 4 to 5 miles. One was a cx5 and I was behind him and it was setting it off for pretty much the whole time till he turned off.

Even on Ka running 100% with the way a lot of the terrain is here I think my alerts probably average around .5 of a mile and some much shorter. Don't get me wrong, I will get some long alerts when the terrain is more forgiving.

I am currently running on v1.29. Skipped 1.33 as there was nothing in it that interested me and tried 1.35 but after a week went back to v1.29. Pretty much all K I see are in the smaller towns and secondary roads around them so will never get the range you would see on a 4 lane road or the interstate that's more open.

Thanks DC fluid

I have those settings.

Well, perhaps the updated V1G2 firmware is much improved on the large L advanced logic mode to not nueter the range so much. I think most use small "l" mode or all bogeys but for me if it's alerting I want to hear it regular volume and not at a muted level. One of the reasons why I like the R7 was the K range in city with almost no falses. To me it was enough usable range and as I said I had a couple really crazy short detections on K with the V1G2 that if I had been going a bit faster would have at least been a pullover ("L" mode). I think if your tolerance for BSM and other falsing is higher than mine (it couldn't be lower) then running in a more sensitive mode is fine on either unit. Everyones driving area is different so people settle on what works best for them but it's nice to hear other peoples views as well.

Last edited:

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
They vary from anywhere about .5 mile to maybe 1/8 of a mile. This is hilly, curvy roads with either lots of houses and/or trees/woods. I would say on the shortest of detections its 4 or 5 seconds. In those cases since I am familiar with the stationary hideouts I know to drop anchor quickly. Some of those places because of the terrain and changes in elevation and how off axis they are sitting I am not sure even 70% would get me more than another second or so. I do know if I even bump up to 30% I start to get the bsm falses which in city mode are pretty rare. A couple days ago I changed it from city to 30% for K band and had two bsm falses in 4 to 5 miles. One was a cx5 and I was behind him and it was setting it off for pretty much the whole time till he turned off.

Even on Ka running 100% with the way a lot of the terrain is here I think my alerts probably average around .5 of a mile and some much shorter. Don't get me wrong, I will get some long alerts when the terrain is more forgiving.

I am currently running on v1.29. Skipped 1.33 as there was nothing in it that interested me and tried 1.35 but after a week went back to v1.29. Pretty much all K I see are in the smaller towns and secondary roads around them so will never get the range you would see on a 4 lane road or the interstate that's more open.

Well, perhaps the updated V1G2 firmware is much improved on the large L advanced logic mode to not nueter the range so much. I think most use small "l" mode or all bogeys but for me if it's alerting I want to hear it regular volume and not at a muted level. One of the reasons why I like the R7 was the K range in city with almost no falses. To me it was enough usable range and as I said I had a couple really crazy short detections on K with the V1G2 that if I had been going a bit faster would have at least been a pullover ("L" mode). I think if your tolerance for BSM and other falsing is higher than mine (it couldn't be lower) then running in a more sensitive mode is fine on either unit. Everyones driving area is different so people settle on what works best for them but it's nice to hear other peoples views as well.
RayC, I think if you give 1.37 a try you might be pleasantly surprised!

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

Firmware 129 & 133 should work for you with MRCD ON to kill Mazda BSM alerts, allowing you to up K Band % a bit.
That's if you don't have a bunch of MRCT intersection devices around.

sammy996

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I haven't seen recommended settings for NJ for 1.37.. (north jersey to be specific). Anyone? Thanks!

Marty K

Advanced User
Reaction score
"They vary from anywhere about .5 mile to maybe 1/8 of a mile. This is hilly, curvy roads with either lots of houses and/or trees/woods. I would say on the shortest of detections its 4 or 5 seconds...

Even on Ka running 100% with the way a lot of the terrain is here I think my alerts probably average around .5 of a mile and some much shorter. Don't get me wrong, I will get some long alerts when the terrain is more forgiving..."
Thank you for the details provided!

That's not bad at all for tough terrain. Regarding Ka - I have the same experience in such terrain: sometimes it's only 4-5 seconds before having visual on the LEO. I've never reduced K sensitivity lower than 70% (50% rear), as I was afraid I may not get a "safe" range. But after this, I may give it a shot, starting at maybe 60%, and then 50% and see what happens...

RayC

Driving
Beginner User
Reaction score
Firmware 129 & 133 should work for you with MRCD ON to kill Mazda BSM alerts, allowing you to up K Band % a bit.
That's if you don't have a bunch of MRCT intersection devices around.

No MRCD around me that I am aware of, do you know if that results in any additional false alerts? I have heard that but never tried it out. If there is no downside then I can certainly give that a try.

@Marty K
Here is an old video of some of the typical terrain in the area. This was back with my R3. I am heading down a hill around a bend and the leo is was going around a bend further up and down a hill with a stone RR bridge in between us with woods around. Not a long range detection but enough. That was with Ka at 100%.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
No MRCD around me that I am aware of, do you know if that results in any additional false alerts? I have heard that but never tried it out. If there is no downside then I can certainly give that a try.

@Marty K
Here is an old video of some of the typical terrain in the area. This was back with my R3. I am heading down a hill around a bend and the leo is was going around a bend further up and down a hill with a stone RR bridge in between us with woods around. Not a long range detection but enough. That was with Ka at 100%.

MRCD as a Mazda fix is area dependent.
Works incredibly well for some.
Some places have lots of MR radar traffic sensors or traffic cameras that make it unpractical.
There is no real increase in falsing if these other systems are not in use, far more quiet than without.
Best combination was F133 & F135 with MRCD On, 129 was late to the party for the Easter Egg.

Marty K

Advanced User
Reaction score
"...Here is an old video of some of the typical terrain in the area. This was back with my R3. I am heading down a hill around a bend and the leo is was going around a bend further up and down a hill with a stone RR bridge in between us with woods around. Not a long range detection but enough. That was with Ka at 100%."

@RayC, the link points back to this same thread...

RayC

Driving
Beginner User
Reaction score
Wow!
That's exactly what I am facing most of the time...

Nothing wrong with the detector, the tougher terrain is never gonna give you 1 - 2 mile detections. When I went from my R-O to the R3 (after reading so many comments on moonshot detections) I actually thought it was broken as it's range was not really any better (anecdotally) than my R-O which in fairness was pretty damn good. The R7 is imo better range wise but by just a bit although the arrows and customization is way better than the other units I had.

Most testing (if not all) is a stationary source and slightly off axis (since it is impossible to simulate a real world dynamic encounter approaching from another direction with the same traffic and such) although that would be neat to see. Real world like that example I posted is a whole different ballgame and just can't be tested. While real word use is anecdotal, you get an idea if given the same encounter would one unit have performed better than another you have after a while. Personally if I have run a unit for years and I get another I have a pretty good idea after a month or so if the range in these type of encounters is as good or worse.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdubz