R7 Firmware 137 Recommended Settings: Compilation of Members Advice

WildOne

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Irish r7 users may be interested in my recent redflex van interactions:....

The redflex was vertically polarized favouring a vertical mount.
(Seems easier to conceal r7 along side of mirror).

I'm getting at least 20-25% extra range with vertical mount!
400 meters toward camera in lane, 250 meters away from camera, other lane. And yes, they can get you in the other lane!

I'm very happy with this range.

The RF frequency was 24.087, which enables me to use wide k band rather the extended k band. Helps shut it up a bit.

Not sure if this is always the case, but that's what my recent tests showed in my area. So keep experimenting!
FYI, the standard horizontal position of your RD is actually electrically vertically polarized(V). Most traffic guns are either vertically polarized or circular. Your detector takes a 3dB hit on the circular polarization, but since you don't know if it was left or right hand circular, this is the best option.

From what you are saying, the redflex must be horizontally polarized(H). In an ideal situation, this could reduce your received power by as much as 30dB for the normal mounting of the RD. However, when a signal bounces off of something the polarization can become a mix of H & V. Hence you only got a little reduction in range with the normal mounting. If all you face is this one camera, then you're probably OK. If you face any other radar, your going to take an unknown hit(up to 30 or 40dB) on reception range of those vertically polarized antennas. If they are circular, your OK, as they give the same 3dB hit to either H or V.

BTW, for every 6dB of received power, it roughly doubles the detection range....

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
FYI, the standard horizontal position of your RD is actually electrically vertically polarized(V). Most traffic guns are either vertically polarized or circular. Your detector takes a 3dB hit on the circular polarization, but since you don't know if it was left or right hand circular, this is the best option.

From what you are saying, the redflex must be horizontally polarized(H). In an ideal situation, this could reduce your received power by as much as 30dB for the normal mounting of the RD. However, when a signal bounces off of something the polarization can become a mix of H & V. Hence you only got a little reduction in range with the normal mounting. If all you face is this one camera, then you're probably OK. If you face any other radar, your going to take an unknown hit(up to 30 or 40dB) on reception range of those vertically polarized antennas. If they are circular, your OK, as they give the same 3dB hit to either H or V.

BTW, for every 6dB of received power, it roughly doubles the detection range....

Wow!:D Thanks for that. For redflex I think the vertical mount makes a significant difference in range and that does indeed seem to be our main threat at the moment.
From say over 200m to less than150m with a rear facing camera, does give me a lot more confidence in my detector.
I dont think we have mrcd etc yet.
But, can these camera vans change the polarization at will, from horizontal to vertical, or can I assume they will all most likely be using horizontal polarization all the time?
Thanks for the help and advice, good to know that.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Wow!:D Thanks for that. For redflex I think the vertical mount makes a significant difference in range and that does indeed seem to be our main threat at the moment.
From say over 200m to less than150m with a rear facing camera, does give me a lot more confidence in my detector.
I dont think we have mrcd etc yet.
But, can these camera vans change the polarization at will, from horizontal to vertical, or can I assume they will all most likely be using horizontal polarization all the time?
Thanks for the help and advice, good to know that.
They don't change polarization.
NZ/AU members have a long relationship with Redflex and have long established turning the R7 on its side to mount 90 degrees from the normal mounting, increases Redflex detection ranges.
It's a handy trick if you face them regularly.

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
NZ/AU members have a long relationship with Redflex and have long established turning the R7 on its side to mount 90 degrees from the normal mounting, increases Redflex detection ranges.
Thanks for that. Not so easy to mount the r7 vertically. I could bend the double cup or might have to go back to the single cup. Any suggestions?

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Not so easy to mount the r7 vertically. I could bend the double cup or might have to go back to the single cup. Any suggestions?
In the NZ section they talk about it lots, not really needed here so nope.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@DC Fluid So what is your consensus on 1.37? Should we roll back to 1.35?
So far there has been no mass failure on 137, so right now my personal choice is to keep 137 on if properly loaded with recovery mode and factory reset.
Run with MRCD off for best performance.
If you need MRCD on, perhaps stay with 135 for now.

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hi DC fluid, I found this from New Zealand where they claim vertical mounting doubles RedFlex detection range with no effect on Ka band detection.
Also seems to support that single cup is best for vertical mount.

Post automatically merged:

In the NZ section they talk about it lots, not really needed here so nope.
Pity! I read the NZ section and did not get one useful idea about vertical mounting.
I could try to import one of Mithheru's from NewZealand, but that would be expensive. All I need is one, just one solution...Anyway, I dont see any on ebay either.

Last edited:

metroplex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hi DC fluid, I found this from New Zealand where they claim vertical mounting doubles RedFlex detection range with no effect on Ka band detection.

Pity! I read the NZ section and did not get one useful idea about vertical mounting.
I could try to import one of Mithheru's from NewZealand, but that would be expensive. All I need is one, just one solution...Anyway, I dont see any on ebay either.

I use a tripod adapter mount for my Uniden R7. So if you have a ball mount capable of vertical orientation, it'd just have to work with a tripod mount and your R7 could be mounted vertical. I got it from eBay

I only used that metal tab from that mount (it's not a very locking mount) and used a Panavise. but I know GoPro and other action camera mounts often use tripod adapters and can be mounted in a variety of positions.

WildOne

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

If you could mount it at 45 deg, then it would pick up all guns equally. Unless of course they are slanted at 45 deg the other direction from your RD... ;)

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If you could mount it at 45 deg, then it would pick up all guns equally. Unless of course they are slanted at 45 deg the other direction from your RD... ;)
I did think of that, but quickly dismissed the idea as the worst of all possible worlds! My main issue now is getting the thing vertically mounted. Just not as simple as I had hoped!!

I use a tripod adapter mount for my Uniden R7. So if you have a ball mount capable of vertical orientation, it'd just have to work with a tripod mount and your R7 could be mounted vertical. I got it from eBay

I only used that metal tab from that mount (it's not a very locking mount) and used a Panavise. but I know GoPro and other action camera mounts often use tripod adapters and can be mounted in a variety of positions.
I'll study that, I dont understand some of your terminology, but will it give the business end of the r7 enough clearance from the windscreen? Thanks for that.

Last edited:

metroplex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I've bought like 5 of those mounts from that eBay seller. I only use the metal clip that goes into the R3/R7. There's a threaded part of that tab that is what I/we call a tripod mount (1/4-20 thread) which cameras/camcorders typically have at the base where it screws into a tripod. So with the R7 clipped to that tripod-mount tab, it allows you to attach the R7 to anything that uses a tripod mount. here's an example and it's not a good example, but it should give you an idea what I'm talking about. I have a Ram mount that would work better.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076XZ9JN7/?tag=rdf0cd0c-20

If you're familiar with Ram mounts, you can get a suction mount, the middle arm, then one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056I8SLE/?tag=rdf0cd0c-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0059X0YIQ/?tag=rdf0cd0c-20

RayC

Driving
Beginner User
Reaction score
Is K @ 50% still safe with the reduced sensitivity on 1.35 (and presumably 1.37)? I've read a number of posts where people cranked K back up with FW 1.35.

I have DC's settings on segmentation. Although I am a few firmware revisions back (maybe 1.29? as I rolled back prior to the latest release as the auo-lockouts didn't add much for me since I already locked out all known falses in my normal driving) I have limited K threats but they are out there. I tried out expert mode again today and got some falses setting K at 30%. Went back to City (and I am in a mostly rural area but do hit I95 regularly) and with just the single K block (since I don't have the 2nd K block notch on my "old" firmware) and it's back to pretty much zero falses running city. My ratio of real threats to falses must be like 5 to 1 or higher. Average drive I get no falses for BSM. Take that with a grain of salt as Ka is my primary threat but K is out there and even on city mode it's been solid and had decent range.

My tolerance for false alerts on a typical drive is pretty much at zero total.

Full disclosure I have manual lockouts set along with quite ride at 20mph and k filter on. I will sacrifice crazy range on K to get usable range with little or no false alerts. Again, Ka is the overwhelming band used in my parts but K is still here and there.

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The opinion I am getting, and I am a recent r7 owner, 1.37 has improved k band range over 1.35. I have been told that 1.33 had much better k band range than 1.35. I am beginning to think people were a bit disappointed with 1.35, but 1.37 is great improvement.
I love the auto-lockouts!
Ka etc doesn't affect me, but I do think every function, including filtering is improved in 1.37.

RayC

Driving
Beginner User
Reaction score
The opinion I am getting, and I am a recent r7 owner, 1.37 has improved k band range over 1.35. I have been told that 1.33 had much better k band range than 1.35. I am beginning to think people were a bit disappointed with 1.35, but 1.37 is great improvement.
I love the auto-lockouts!
Ka etc doesn't affect me, but I do think every function, including filtering is improved in 1.37.
The R7 has never had bad K band range. The filtering may be improved but K range has been pretty fantastic from the first iteration and not sure if there is a unit with usable K range that is close. With the customization the unit has you can get a good balance no matter what tolerance you have for false K.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
The R7 has never had bad K band range. The filtering may be improved but K range has been pretty fantastic from the first iteration and not sure if there is a unit with usable K range that is close. With the customization the unit has you can get a good balance no matter what tolerance you have for false K.
1.35 and 1.37 both have reduced K band range from what I've seen in testing.

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
All relative of course. I never said the r7 had bad K range.
However, I think I read that the V1G2 has better k band range.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
All relative of course. I never said the r7 had bad K range.
However, I think I read that the V1G2 has better k band range.
With the latest firmware, they are really close. With 1.33 it's not close at all, the R7 simply dominates.

Disco47

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Can someone advise me what's the best set-up for maximum k sensitivity only. Thinking of redflex detection.
I have k on, k pop on, k filter off, mrcd on, all other filters off, x on.
Someone said that x helps detect all bands?
Mrcd helps redflex detection?
Although redflex is low frequency, low power k band, I'm beginning to think it falls into the mrcd category? Thanks for the help. I sure didn't enjoy the update procedure!! 😭
Go to your K band settings where it has narrow/wide/extended. Select extended. It will allow the detector to scan down low for Redflex K band.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdubz