Viofo A129 Pro Duo Locking Up

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
So my A129 Pro Duo seems to be exhibiting a very strange behavior lately. At some random point in my commute, the camera will lock up and completely stop functioning. The camera is receiving power and the lights on the display will indicate that it is turned on, but pressing the buttons will do nothing and the camera is not recording anything. I have noticed when I go through my footage, it will be recording as normal until I get to a clip that displays as a corrupted file for both the front and rear camera. The next file after that will be the next time I turn the car on. I noticed this happen once when I first purchased the camera and thought it was just something a little wonky with my power cable. I am powering it with the USB cable that it comes with plugged into my cigarette lighter. The behavior didn't display itself again until this week, where this lock up behavior has happened 3 times.

This is very disconcerting to me. My camera is just deciding to stop recording at random points throughout my drives and won't turn back on without a power cycle. Thinking back on it and looking at my footage, I can't seem to find a common pattern that could be causing this. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I haven't had your experience, but mine has been warrantied once and the new one needs a fair amount of hand holding--resets, etc. It doesn't just sit on my windshield and be set and forget.

Bocephus

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Have you tried formatting your card or a different card? What type of card are you using in it? Sorry to hear that and my only issue with mine is that the external WiFi button I have won’t sync occasionally.

Last edited:

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
Have you tried formatting your card or a different card? What type of card are you using in it? Sorry to hear that and my only issue with mine is that the external WiFi button I have won’t sync occasionally.
It's a 128GB SanDisk High Endurance card. I'm pretty good about formatting it weekly. I just did a reformat (which I usually do every Sunday), so we will see if that helps.

Marty K

Always Driving Vigilantly
Advanced User
Reaction score
I haven't had your experience, but mine has been warrantied once and the new one needs a fair amount of hand holding--resets, etc. It doesn't just sit on my windshield and be set and forget.

I think VIOFO dash cams are pretty good, but have "above the minimum" expected faulty units. I have 2 sets of such cams, and seen some weirdness with them, but very rarely. However, I have read quite few comments that those units sometimes come dead out of the box, or fail shortly after...
Post automatically merged:

It's a 128GB SanDisk High Endurance card. I'm pretty good about formatting it weekly. I just did a reformat (which I usually do every Sunday), so we will see if that helps.
I don't think formatting on a regular basis is needed, or a good thing. Only if there are issues, and occasionally... You can try to scan it on a computer to check for bad blocks...

Last edited:

Bocephus

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah I would try maybe a different brand high endurance card to see if that helps. I still haven’t formatted my card and knock on wood it’s working. Especially in these things that you want to be working when you least expect it. I hope you find your gremlin.

GregTec5

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

System

PSL ÷ 2
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have a 256GB SanDisk and face the exact same issues as you. Looks like i too found the culprit

Last edited:

GregTec5

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I did a ton of research on the correct SD card and this is the one I picked and I’ve had no issues…

Marty K

Always Driving Vigilantly
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have been using Samsung (not High Endurance) on my daily drive (heavy usage), and it's been flawless since 2019...

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Both of my non-viofo cameras would either lock up or fail to record when the SD card would start to go bad. Try a different card as a first step. If that doesn't work, can always reset the camera to factory defaults and see if that helps.

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well damn, this memory card isn't even that old. But I guess I will try @GregTec5's Samsung card and see if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Both of my non-viofo cameras would either lock up or fail to record when the SD card would start to go bad. Try a different card as a first step. If that doesn't work, can always reset the camera to factory defaults and see if that helps.
Good advice. You could load the FW back into it again if your putting in a new card.

I was lucky enough that VIOFO sent me one of the first A123 Duo's to try out and review. I still use it and haven't had one thing go wrong with it.

keefrto

Loving Alberta's response to cameras. #not
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Good advice. You could load the FW back into it again if your putting in a new card.

I was lucky enough that VIOFO sent me one of the first A123 Duo's to try out and review. I still use it and haven't had one thing go wrong with it.
my latest a129 duo stopped working except when i put it in my other car, same setup, it works fine. Perhaps the GPS unit/power failure?

System

PSL ÷ 2
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I bought a Samsung 256GB card and have had 0 issues since

keefrto

Loving Alberta's response to cameras. #not
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I bought a Samsung 256GB card and have had 0 issues since
I think in my case it cant be the card as it worked in my other car with same system, i have a ticket in with Viofo and its warrantied still

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdubz