Suggestion: Theia component sharing program

VideosFromNH

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
This is only a suggestion and probably isn't practical. I have no experience in manufacturing, so I'm spitballing out here.

We all know that Jon is waiting on a number of Xilinx FPGAs (~10000 I believe)

Is it possible that small orders can go through in between large orders? Say, if a large order for 20000 FPGAs is run, but because of the equipment configuration 20,256 are actually produced, would Xilinx fill small orders of the extra 256 components before starting the next large order to get rid of some customers on their waiting list? Like if large order customers want only the full order and not piecemeal deliveries?

If so, could Theia fans purchase a small number of FPGAs, say $500-$1000 worth, forward them to Radenso? Then on verification of genuine parts, get a financial credit towards a new Theia?

That would be in place of the substantial commission Jon mentioned on finding a verifiable source.

If I'm wrong, perhaps I should just subscribe to the mailing list.

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Manufacturing small batches of detectors would be astronomically expensive, you really do need to make them in batches of 500-1k at the absolute minimum.

VideosFromNH

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Manufacturing small batches of detectors would be astronomically expensive, you really do need to make them in batches of 500-1k at the absolute minimum.
You wouldn't need to manufacture the detectors piecemeal. Just verify the component and stock up, then when you have enough like the 500-1k, then run off a batch of detectors.The goal is to get the components you need.

Maybe post a running tally of received FPGAs to goal, like KickStarter. Unless you don't want competition to know the figure.

NoahWL

KEEP RIGHT
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
There are good reasons why some mechanics won't install customer-bought parts. They'd apply here too. Radenso wouldn't ever be able to be 100% certain the parts are genuine, nor that they would function properly and last as long as expected.

If there is a batch of chips that turns up defective a month after production, hunting down which detectors had chips from which batch would be a nightmare, and getting compensation for replacement parts from the manufacturer would probably be impossible. There's also the matter that every batch of chips is slightly different, so there's a possibility some detectors may need to be "tuned" differently than others. There are just too many variables already and introducing that many more isn't worth it.

SalmonSurprise

Just here for the food.
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If that was a thing, couldn’t Radenso just place small orders daily themselves and get a steady stream coming in? Then wait until they have a few thousand and start manufacturing? This is assuming your small order theory is correct.

VideosFromNH

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Sometimes the reason something isn't done a certain way is because nobody thought to do it.
In this case, it's been explained by Jon and others that this wasn't a good idea, and for the reasons specified.

When I brainstorm, it takes a few bad ideas to come out before I get something good.

Thinking outside the box is tough when I don't know what I'm talking about.

MikePA

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thinking outside the box is tough when I don't know what I'm talking about.
Peter Drucker could have said this and it should be Rule #1 for every project.

GrandAmster

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Since we are throwing out ideas we really aren’t qualified to speak to, here’s another!!

Jon once mentioned being unhappy with the physical size of Theia and if he could do it again would try and make it more compact. Seems like there’s ample time for optimization and tweaking right now.. any shrinkage or other optimization in the works? With this delay we might as well jump to the new and improved rev 2 release right away to be rewarded for our patience and to keep Radenso out of mischief during the downtime. If Theia had been released about a year ago I am sure rev 2 would hit around now (or a little in the foreseeable future) so let’s just skip rev 1 at this point!?!

Randy at Radenso

beyond radar.
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Jon once mentioned being unhappy with the physical size of Theia and if he could do it again would try and make it more compact. Seems like there’s ample time for optimization and tweaking right now.. any shrinkage or other optimization in the works? With this delay we might as well jump to the new and improved rev 2 release right away to be rewarded for our patience and to keep Radenso out of mischief during the downtime. If Theia had been released about a year ago I am sure rev 2 would hit around now (or a little in the foreseeable future) so let’s just skip rev 1 at this point!?!

At this time we can’t really speak about any of this regarding Theia until we get closer to launch time, hope you understand, thanks!

SalmonSurprise

Just here for the food.
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
1622517870485.jpeg

Mod note:
Guys, please resist the urge to turn threads south with posts like this. If there's nothing constructive to add please refrain from adding anything. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

L4D44

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hey Jon. Been out of the loop for a while. Hope you and your family are doing well and looking forward to the debut of your baby project. Wishing you and the rest of the Radenso folks the best of luck in 2021. I know you guys will knock it out of the park! 👍

GotWake

Speed Kills
Advanced User
Reaction score
If I'm wrong, perhaps I should just subscribe to the mailing list.

I think I would just subscribe and go on with life. People keep running around here like they are losing their minds. I’m just going to run my R7 and R3s until they can get it out. You, Jon, no one can help the situation we are in right now.

If there was a workaround, I imagine companies would go for it. Imagine having companies from 170 industries after chips all at the same time.

Fireball

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I think I would just subscribe and go on with life. People keep running around here like they are losing their minds. I’m just going to run my R7 and R3s until they can get it out. You, Jon, no one can help the situation we are in right now.

If there was a workaround, I imagine companies would go for it. Imagine having companies from 170 industries after chips all at the same time.
171 industries now - you must have missed the new AI-equipped golf clubs.

SalmonSurprise

Just here for the food.
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
One thing I am curious about is…

If Radenso really did expect to ship last year, that means they ordered the parts last year. Last year the lead times were not a full year, they would have at least been in the front part of the line. I don’t understand how they haven’t gotten parts if they really ordered them last year. Worst case, shouldn’t they have them very soon? It’s not like they just placed the order a month ago….

G37X Jockey

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
One thing I am curious about is…

If Radenso really did expect to ship last year, that means they ordered the parts last year. Last year the lead times were not a full year, they would have at least been in the front part of the line. I don’t understand how they haven’t gotten parts if they really ordered them last year. Worst case, shouldn’t they have them very soon? It’s not like they just placed the order a month ago….
It's very possible that the lengthy lead times quoted to Radenso last year have been revised and lengthened yet again. Just a guess but not beyond possibility.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdubz