Stinger S8 antenna

dmlgc

Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Any news on price and availability? Also would be interested in seeing a picture installed in car. Stinger has nice animations on their web site but nothing that shows
what the size might be (no dimensions that I could find).

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I installed the new S8 antenna today and have had a chance to test it. This post doesn't contain any videos since there's really no point.

Firstly this antenna is way quiet compared to the HD and HD+ I had one false in 40 minutes which lasted two seconds. Stinger's boast on this front is right on.

*Secondly low power K band, specifically Redflex NK7 - no detection at all, which is why I haven't bothered with dashcam vids.*

I would like to point out the firmware I am using is not available for general consumption yet and is still essentially a beta, I have taken logs of the two Redflex cameras I tested against and have sent them to Stinger to analyze.

Also fellas lets not make this a lets bash Stinger thread, use another one for that. I will post progress if/when things improve.
The reason it's so difficult to detect is solely related to its extremely narrow HPBW primary Beam & the -30db down suppression of side lobes !
You have very little chance of detecting it before entering its kill zone, your only chance would be sniffing some weak scatter from other cars passing through the main lobe before you do.

Ques. - on this S8 antenna are the Patch elements themselves still positioned at an offset angle of 45 degrees ?

dnanian

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ques. - on this S8 antenna are the Patch elements themselves still positioned at an offset angle of 45 degrees ?

I don't think anyone has torn apart one of these to see. The structure of the S8 seems to be way different... it's relatively long, and has a rectangular "do not block" shape drawn on its face, which I assume is where a horn is...

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I don't think anyone has torn apart one of these to see. The structure of the S8 seems to be way different... it's relatively long, and has a rectangular "do not block" shape drawn on its face, which I assume is where a horn is...
The Stinger I would bet still uses multiple etched Copper "Patch" elements of differing sizes on a PCB for each radar band. Traditionally, the square individual elements were offset 45 degrees to facilitate capture of both vertical & horizontal polarized
radar waves.

* There is an actual internal picture of the antenna buried in an olde Thread here on RDF 5 or 6 years ago.

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Last edited:

Dragons

Breathing fire
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
There's more to it real world, there have been days where the S8 will detect it with NO back scatter - no other cars on the road.

The V1 can also detect it under certain circumstances too, some have had decent luck with the R7 sometimes with scatter other times without.

Shanetrain

PSL+10
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
There's more to it real world, there have been days where the S8 will detect it with NO back scatter - no other cars on the road.

The V1 can also detect it under certain circumstances too, some have had decent luck with the R7 sometimes with scatter other times without.
Hey @Dragons

Has stinger been regularly updating the new S8 antenna? Specifically the ADG detection.
Been looking at getting one, the state I live in has recently started to use Volkswagen Vans with the radar front facing, rather that the Toyota camera rear facers.
So could give me a bit of an advantage 😀 if I had a AI detector that was actively looking for those signals

flexzor

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

Do I read correctly that the s8 is well detecting the NK7? Mine is coming end of August, NK7 and gatso rt4 are the PITA’s here.

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@dnanian
What's your latest situation since the Philly meet-up & AVI ?

dnanian

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
A conference call happened between AVI, Stinger HQ, CA and USA to discuss the install. HQ is sending a whole new unit to AVI as a just-in-case-something-is-broken backup, along with additional test resources (DE, etc). Next week AVI is closed, but we're going to set up an appointment once they're back to get it evaluated, tested and fixed.

Dragons

Breathing fire
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
HQ is sending a whole new unit to AVI as a just-in-case-something-is-broken backup, along with additional test resources (DE, etc).
Make sure AVI understand the fibre bending rules, no right angles at anytime for any reason, they can not be bent like a wire.

The testing results of this install are simply too terrible to be legitimate, even with less than perfect alignment this system should have still been JTG against a PL4 every day of the week.

dnanian

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Make sure AVI understand the fibre bending rules, no right angles at anytime for any reason, they can not be bent like a wire.
Have tried to make it clear (I think they know). I'm going to take the day off and "supervise" when it happens, while trying not to be in the way. I know the Stingers are involved too. Should hopefully be interesting, at least.

And yeah, given what we saw when @NorEaster18 and I tested, none of this makes much sense.

Dragons

Breathing fire
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
So could give me a bit of an advantage 😀 if I had a AI detector that was actively looking for those signals
No, nothing new for a while now, they have been pretty quiet. I expect it will probably be that way till the end of August.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agoose