Audio shop/garage ALP installed this on RS7

BaileyAB

Whats PSL? Autobahn bro, A.U.T.O.B.A.H.N.!!!!!
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hey guys,
so here is a front dual ALP setup on my clients RS7 installed by one renown audio installer in Edmonton area in 2017. Customer did not state he wants them installed behind the grille. It was purely installer decision which I claim was a terrible idea and execution.
Please let me know your thoughts?

I will test clients front setup with Stalker LZ1 and from my experience this is going to be punch through city due to honeycomb literally covering transmitter diodes on both sensors.

Rear was also done to wide with dual rear RX setup even for 2017 era. I d place them closer to the center line like few inches inside where are they right now haha

I suggested to add 1 more head up front n one in the rear for full protection.
20210515_132856_HDR~2.jpg

20210515_124132_HDR.jpg
20210515_124128_HDR.jpg
20210515_124123_HDR.jpg
20210515_132912_HDR.jpg
20210515_132914_HDR.jpg
20210515_132906_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
Yes, this install is horrible and will be PT city. The diodes can't have anything blocking them. 2RX will not protect that car against Dragoneye. I'd recommend taking it back to the installer and asking them to fix it so it's actually functional.

Lars36

Banned
Banned User
Reaction score
Hey guys,
so here is a front dual ALP setup on my clients RS7 installed by one renown audio installer in Edmonton area in 2017. Customer did not state he wants them installed behind the grille. It was purely installer decision which I claim was a terrible idea and execution.

I will test clients front setup with Stalker LZ1 and from my experience this is going to be punch through city due to honeycomb literally covering transmitter diodes on both sensors.

Rear was also done to wide with dual rear RX setup even for 2017 era. I d place them closer to the center line like few inches inside where are they right now haha

I suggested to add 1 more head up front n one in the rear for full protection. View attachment 179170
View attachment 179165 View attachment 179166 View attachment 179167 View attachment 179168 View attachment 179169 View attachment 179163
Unfortunately for me I know absolutely nothing about Laser setup.
But my God I do read about them and from what I've been reading this is not how you install them?

wirelessandy

It's a very exciting time
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
We say it again and again. Don't hide the heads.

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yea that grill piece is basically covering the transmit diode fully. You could almost get away with it covering the receive diode some as they are super sensitive and even with only a small part of the bubble being visible would probably still work but blocking the transmit is going to render it very compromised. If he faces dragons than two RX is a bad idea anyway. Back doesn't look very good either, looks toed out and down, and the rear cable management is a thumbs down, dremel a tine bit of the tail light assembly and run the cables out that way.

Maz3

Don't hate me just because I'm beautiful 🤣
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I suggested to add 1 more head up front n one in the rear for full protection. View attachment 179170
View attachment 179165 View attachment 179166 View attachment 179167 View attachment 179168 View attachment 179169 View attachment 179163
Until they're tested it's really just comparing guidelines to the install.

I've seen installs that violate the spacing and recess guidelines that proved solid JTG against multiple DE, even picking on areas that aren't real world.

Right @G37X Jockey 😉

Certainly in Edmonton a two Rx only system is just asking for trouble with the prevailing use of DE there

Last edited:

Lars36

Banned
Banned User
Reaction score
Care to share which shop…. Just so we can avoid it?
Exactly, they needed to explain to the customer that this isn't the way you install the heads.
Should of kicked him down the road to someone else.
They install like he wanted and they don't work right, comes back to them unfortunately.

GregTec5

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Did they even read the instructions? Wow...

BaileyAB

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Capture+_2021-05-17-15-28-32.png
Capture+_2021-05-17-15-28-32.png

BaileyAB

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Mr carbon

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Unbelievable obviously the installer hasn't any interest in his job

BaileyAB

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The installer is well known in the Alberta supercars community
He swears Dual ALP will defend against Dragoneye on a sedan. He said he only does triple setup on trucks as sedans are not "wide enough".

Client is eager to participate in our next CACTG meet up in about a month with two or more DET guns so I placed a 100$ bet his dual ALP front and rear install even with latest 5.6.6 will look like swiss cheese against those DET guns.

I just cant believe there are dudes in this industry who did not rear manufacturer instructions and did not learn how the device works and its limitations.

Last edited:

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
If you're going down, at least go down in style. 😅 The carbon fiber look-alike vinyl covering that was used on top of the custom mounting hardware inside the vehicle is interesting. I think I would have used matte black instead, but it's an interesting idea none the less.

Performance wise, that install will get burned pretty easily with any tough gun. They'll at least look good when they're getting pulled over at the side of the road. :D

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ronjhoser