x-band not working, problem or not?

steeltag

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I found a semi-local R7 for sale but states x band isn't operational. I'm sure most of us would disable x-band anyways....is this a symptom of something else on the radar unit NOT being operational ? Would this feature not working stop you from purchasing if you were in the market for one?

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
While you may not need X band, my mind immediately wonders if there is a greater risk of the unit completely failing, since one thing is already broken on it.

Price would have to be a factor. I don't think I'd pay more than $200 for it if it is already having hardware issues. If it is under warranty, then a repair should be free. If it is not under warranty, you should find out what Uniden charges to service it. My reasoning would be I'd want to make sure that whatever I spent on it used, wouldn't exceed the price of buying one factory refurbished or new from Uniden, if I had to mail it in for service. So if a factory refurbished R7 was going for $419, and you find out that an out-of-service repair on this one you're looking at would cost $140 (me pulling a random number out of the air), then my valuation I'd give the one you're looking at would be $419 less $140, less a little more for your time and hassle of traveling to meet someone to buy it, gas expenses and all. Without any additional expenses, that'd be about $279. I'd likely not travel more than an hour 1 way, and not offer more than $225 for it. If it breaks at $225, and you had to spend $140 to repair it, you'd be up to $365, and not too far off from a refurbished one online at $419. I hope this makes sense. Look at your overall risk if things were to go wrong, and use it to guide your decision.

zappy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I would be skeptical of other issues with it. Granted X band does use it's own LNA which could have gone bad (posssible but not likely). If it were me, I wouldn't risk buying a malfunctioning detector, especially one that has a hardware fault.

TurboDriver

One foot on the brake, one on the gas...
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I found a semi-local R7 for sale but states x band isn't operational. I'm sure most of us would disable x-band anyways....is this a symptom of something else on the radar unit NOT being operational ? Would this feature not working stop you from purchasing if you were in the market for one?
My first question to them would be -- how do they know it doesn't work? That might give you a clue as to the issue.

steeltag

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
interestingly.....they claim they 'test' the detector....but wasn't given any info on 'how' they do that... I question that they really test each band of the detector hmmmm

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
downhiller2010