Questions regarding MRCD

AMGTQ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Now I have a question regarding MRCD/T.

Hello again, I hope my questions aren't getting redundant and really appreciate the input I've received.
I was on a road today that had these cameras sitting in a rectangular box on top of traffic lights at every major intersection for several miles. There were no lights(flash for photo) however.
I drove this stretch of road several times in both directions.
With MRCD on, the R7 would go full tilt and lock on for what seemed like forever. And I mean forever at full signal.
Turned off MRCD, I get a full K hit at the same intersections but would not alert for as long.
1. What are those cameras for, don't they need a flash?
2. What is the difference/benefit to turn on MRCD and see that displayed vs. full K signal?
I've also got that full MRCD hit on the highway.
Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
What's your question?

Last edited:

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
1. What are those cameras for, don't they need a flash?
MRCD and MRCT are 3D radar systems that can track multiple targets at a time. They are stationary and semi-stationary. Stationary meaning they are pole mounted high up or mounted in a box near vehicle height. Semi-stationary meaning they can be placed inside of a vehicle that is parked, but not moving.

The flash may not be necessary if the lighting conditions are good and the cameras optics are of high quality. Additionally, many systems now utilize infrared-only flash; you would not see this with your human eyes at all. It's considered safer for drivers at night time since it won't blind them or other drivers on the road when it fires. Don't count on having to see a flash to know that a flash module exists.

2. What is the difference/benefit to turn on MRCD and see that displayed vs. full K signal?

By the very nature of what they are, MRCD & MRCT are very difficult to detect. They utilize frequency modulated continuous wave (FMCW) signals to create chirp RADAR. They are able to use a very low power output because high power output isn't necessary when using them. For RADAR detectors (the type used by us drivers), detecting MRCD & MRCT as a threat is a relatively new development in our world. Presenting signal strength accurately to the driver is not yet a fully polished science, and hasn't been refined enough to properly show you a bar graph of signal strength that is consistent and reliable. As such, most detectors that can detect MRCD & MRCT will simply alarm to its presence, rather than try to show you the strength. This is similar to how LIDAR hits are presented to users on a RADAR detector. It's either alarming, or it's not.

MRCD/T is a type of signaling used within K Band, but it is a uniquely identifiable type, used for specific purposes.

If you have MRCD/T usage around you, and the only usage around you is at stationary locations, you could choose to disable it and rely on GPS database warnings for those camera systems instead. Just be mindful of instances where you're not familiar with the roads, and that it could be possible that an MRCD/T RADAR camera system has been installed somewhere but not yet reported to the GPS database administrators, and thus you'd get no GPS early warning alert either.

If you have MRCD/T semi-stationary usage around you such as is common where @Heywood drives, you'd want to leave it on all the time. No GPS database will be able to save you from a system in a car that is able to be relocated every few hours.

MRCD_MRCT_Heywood_on_RDForum_org.png

See this thread: https://www.rdforum.org/threads/104972/ for more of @Heywood's testing.

AMGTQ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
MRCD and MRCT are 3D radar systems that can track multiple targets at a time. They are stationary and semi-stationary. Stationary meaning they are pole mounted high up or mounted in a box near vehicle height. Semi-stationary meaning they can be placed inside of a vehicle that is parked, but not moving.

The flash may not be necessary if the lighting conditions are good and the cameras optics are of high quality. Additionally, many systems now utilize infrared-only flash; you would not see this with your human eyes at all. It's considered safer for drivers at night time since it won't blind them or other drivers on the road when it fires. Don't count on having to see a flash to know that a flash module exists.

By the very nature of what they are, MRCD & MRCT are very difficult to detect. They utilize frequency modulated continuous wave (FMCW) signals to create chirp RADAR. They are able to use a very low power output because high power output isn't necessary when using them. For RADAR detectors (the type used by us drivers), detecting MRCD & MRCT as a threat is a relatively new development in our world. Presenting signal strength accurately to the driver is not yet a fully polished science, and hasn't been refined enough to properly show you a bar graph of signal strength that is consistent and reliable. As such, most detectors that can detect MRCD & MRCT will simply alarm to its presence, rather than try to show you the strength. This is similar to how LIDAR hits are presented to users on a RADAR detector. It's either alarming, or it's not.

MRCD/T is a type of signaling used within K Band, but it is a uniquely identifiable type, used for specific purposes.

If you have MRCD/T usage around you, and the only usage around you is at stationary locations, you could choose to disable it and rely on GPS database warnings for those camera systems instead. Just be mindful of instances where you're not familiar with the roads, and that it could be possible that an MRCD/T RADAR camera system has been installed somewhere but not yet reported to the GPS database administrators, and thus you'd get no GPS early warning alert either.

If you have MRCD/T semi-stationary usage around you such as is common where @Heywood drives, you'd want to leave it on all the time. No GPS database will be able to save you from a system in a car that is able to be relocated every few hours.

View attachment 179088

See this thread: https://www.rdforum.org/threads/104972/ for more of @Heywood's testing.
Thank you for such a thorough explanation.
Post automatically merged:

I have seen the photo radar vans around town. There's a spot that is used often. I will report back once I've had an encounter. I'll leave MRCD on.

Last edited:

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just be aware…. The Uniden’s alert all modulated low powered radars as this as MRCD.

No matter if it’s MRCD MRCT or Gatso…. Uniden only calls it MRCD.

A lot of people using the R3 and R7 continually misidentify what they’re being hit with because of the way Uniden’s alert. There’s no separate toggle to turn the individual threat types off to narrow it down.

Lars36

Banned
Banned User
Reaction score
Just be aware…. The Uniden’s alert all modulated low powered radars as this as MRCD.

No matter if it’s MRCD MRCT or Gatso…. Uniden only calls it MRCD.
A lot of people using the R3 and R7 continually misidentify what they’re being hit with because of the way Uniden’s alert. There’s no separate toggle to turn the individual threat types off to narrow it down.
@Heywood, thanks for your help understanding this.
Thankfully I don't think?? I have this problem where I live thank God.

Phantom

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Is there a way to lock out these stationary MRCD alerts? I've tried on my R7 but when I press the button twice for them it just un mutes. Any advice?

Dolphin

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Is there a way to lock out these stationary MRCD alerts? I've tried on my R7 but when I press the button twice for them it just un mutes. Any advice?
Yes, you need to change mute memory options in the configuration from "X & K" to "X, K, Ka". Then you will be able to add MRCD to mute memory.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tap053