uniden r1 questions for k band wide/narrow new York (not city)

rokuplayer

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Just got my r1 today. I'm using advanced mode. I have k band down to 30 percent for false alerts. I know for a fact there are places close that use k band. My question is, what would be worse. K band at 30 or attempting to use k narrow. I feel like I should up k band to at least 40 if not 50. Looking for something that's reliable enough to catch a legit alert but keep it as quiet as possible/reasonable. Also, how bad would be be to use city mode full time legit alerts wise. Does it nerf it that bad? On a side note, what's up with the menu beeps? They're obnoxiously loud. Ear peircing. Lol.

Too3zln

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I think it is all down to which firmware you are using. I also have an R1, and because of the lacking GPS capabilities, it is necessary, for me, to be very specific on which firmware is being used. I would use only 1.37, 1.50, or 1.54. 1.37 there is no Multa radar support, so the latter two would be optimal. 1.50 is better at filtering than 1.53/1.54 enabling one to run much higher % k band wise. I was using 60% on 1.50, whereas on 1.54, city mode or 30% was necessary because of false alerts. If Multa radar is an issue in your area stick with the latter firmwares and ask around as I have no clue what you deal with.
Try these three firmwares out and determine which is best for you.

As far as the beeps, I think you can disable that option as I never had this issue.

Hope this helps you out.
Post automatically merged:

Oh, and I run k wide. I would feel pretty dumb getting lit up and not knowing it.

rokuplayer

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I think it is all down to which firmware you are using. I also have an R1, and because of the lacking GPS capabilities, it is necessary, for me, to be very specific on which firmware is being used. I would use only 1.37, 1.50, or 1.54. 1.37 there is no Multa radar support, so the latter two would be optimal. 1.50 is better at filtering than 1.53/1.54 enabling one to run much higher % k band wise. I was using 60% on 1.50, whereas on 1.54, city mode or 30% was necessary because of false alerts. If Multa radar is an issue in your area stick with the latter firmwares and ask around as I have no clue what you deal with.
Try these three firmwares out and determine which is best for you.

As far as the beeps, I think you can disable that option as I never had this issue.

Hope this helps you out.
Post automatically merged:

Oh, and I run k wide. I would feel pretty dumb getting lit up and not knowing it.
I think it's fw 1.5 or 1.51 something to that affect. And yes, the beeps are so loud I'm surprised the speaker didn't blow right out of the box. I have to put my hand over the radar to go through the menus. The alerts are almost as bad but I turned the volume down to 4 with auto mute on.

Too3zln

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Double check that firmware. It is the most crucial part of getting the most out of your detector.

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
City mode does nerf the range notably, especially if you have terrain or such that make the detection harder. I'd stick advanced mode between 30-50%, tsf on. K filter on, if you are getting a lot of BSM falses between 24.195 and 24.205 the newest firmwares have block which you can enable to block those alerts (also blocks legit signals in that small range as well, it's a small risk so I'd start and see what legit k band frequencies you get.). Around me they use kband and it's pretty well tuned in so narrow would probably be ok, but your area may differ, start wide and note your frequencies for a while to decide, narrow will help with some falses but it's a risk.

rokuplayer

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
City mode does nerf the range notably, especially if you have terrain or such that make the detection harder. I'd stick advanced mode between 30-50%, tsf on. K filter on, if you are getting a lot of BSM falses between 24.195 and 24.205 the newest firmwares have block which you can enable to block those alerts (also blocks legit signals in that small range as well, it's a small risk so I'd start and see what legit k band frequencies you get.). Around me they use kband and it's pretty well tuned in so narrow would probably be ok, but your area may differ, start wide and note your frequencies for a while to decide, narrow will help with some falses but it's a risk.
Thanks. K block is on. Ill drive with it on and off. I'm pretty sure this is a no but is there anyway to set auto mute to ramp down the alert just for k band or is it only 1 setting for all bands

Too3zln

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
All signals

V1Jake

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ulster County uses Stalker Patrols at low frequencies 24.08x

Discord Server