valentine is awfully silent...g1

steeltag

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
ok, I"m shocked at this, but after following Vortex's suggestions on his custom setting from his video 2015, I've driven my car twice.....and its virtually silent. How in the world....someting has to be wrong.....I couldn't foresee the G2 being any quieter as I drove within Colorado Springs up north and to Castle Rock, Co. This was in my Mercedes Benz that I recently inquired about....found the two openings on the windshield (using the opening left of the rearview mirror. I'll try using it in my truck at somepoint this week to help verify that its not the infared coating . Surely this surprises some of your V! experts, any insights to share? ( mine is the latest software I feel 3.8945 I believe)
Post automatically merged:

2 or 3 alerts total....if those settings are so good, why upgrade?

Last edited:

biolink

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
Last year before buying Gen 2 I convinced VR to upgrade my Gen 1 to 8.8945. I ran pretty stock with just TMF2 activated using only the logic modes for muting alerts. No custom frequencies. I too felt Gen 1 got quieter. In Oct I bought Gen 2 and it blew me away. I run it with JBV1 using auto V1 (logic below 60, All bogeys aboveb60). No lockouts. No custom frequencies. I make it to work sometimes without a single BSM alert. I love it. It is quieter on K. But the best feature is the Ka detection. It's crazy. It's tough to explain but I can yell It's more sophisticated all the way around. Don't get me wrong, still live the Gen1 and would trust it on a road trip. But Gen 2 is an improvement.

Consider this test I did today to see what K Verifier would do. An Odyssey passed me with a slight blip at 24.207. At two car lengths I got nothing with KV on. So I decideded to turn KV off and the Odyssey came back. Turned KV back on and Odyssey goes away. Now, while holding off the Odyssey, I pick up a a CO Raptor. My Gen 1 would not hold off that Odyssey at two car lengths. And some times a breakthrough would let other signals in as well. I know a lot of guys are complaining about K on Gen 2 but I'm seeing my Gen 2 do better than my Gen 1 on K. Sure the Raptor report Today was only .4 miles, but we were moving towards eachother at 75mph. Also the Raptor is one of the weakest guns out. Not bad I think because a stationary trap in a city would give me about a mile warning.

Last edited:

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I can't really comment on your experience, but my Gen 2 is definitely quieter than Gen 1. (Which was very quiet)
There are many other reasons to go to Gen 2 though.

mwjoe

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
My G2 is still new to me. I'm running it with JBV1 and it is disturbingly quiet. I'll soon be running it with my Uniden R3 for more of a side by side comparison. My R3 is chatty, I just need to verify for myself that the G2 does not miss anything I should be aware of.

V1Jake

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
What settings do you have on the G1? Have you tried running the G1 with those settings vs stock? You mentioned an opening in the windshield, I assume it's a film in the glass so I would see how it alerts to a speed sign in then far then try out of the car with the cig power cable.

steeltag

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@V1Jake. yes, compared to the stock setting (which was 'chatty'). I don't know where any speed signs are out here to test that. I'm a bit under the weather now, but when better, I will try using the V1 in my truck which has no windshield coating as a comparison.

frank od5

Learning to Fly
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Why upgrade...stupid ka range and off axis capabilities compared to G1.I wish the G2 had similar k band muting though.

CobawLT2010

I am a still small voice of calm and reason.
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ran my G1 today... actually... which is odd... 1 alert from a temporary traffic light (to be expected) in 50 miles. I’ve often said a well setup g1 is fine for everyday use in normal circumstances.

K band is nerfed in both situations though.

steeltag

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
ok, one thing I realized today....since custom programming it...I mistakenly had it on small 'u' (Euro model) which indicates no K band detection...no wonder it was silent! I changed that today....it got noisy around some of the stores and a couple of cars...but is still much quieter than it ever was in its past before I realized how to make the mods to it

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ronjhoser