AV server

Fireball

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I've got this tower computer that was a super hot box back in the early 00s. Intel 7 processor, tons of RAM, decent graphics card, ect, running WIN7. I'd like to turn this into a dedicated AV server. Any recommendations on what software to use with it? I'd like something that can rip my CD collection and store it on a flash drive so I can start taking my music along as my new car doesn't have a CD player, and I'd like to be able to stream my movie collection to my TV set.

mrbatestoyou

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi @Fireball I cant help much with the ripping CD's (I dont think I own a single one :hmm:) however for the media server, I would highly suggest taking a look into Jellyfin its what I use at home myself, has apps for most any device and you can stream directly to any web enabled device, even across the internet if you have your routing and forwarding setup correctly. Then I would suggest possibly branching out into the **darr suite (lidarr, radarr, sonarr) they all natively "plug into" Jellyfin. If you've got other folks in the house(or external if you have enabled acess over the WAN) that might want to use the services above but either arent very technical (to go and aquire the media) OR you dont want to give him full access, you can create a "user request" system by utilzing Ombi.

Good luck!

midd

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
First and First, the Nexus of the Universe
Plex would probably be the easiest to stream and play music. I skipped the ripping of my cds (too time consuming) and use deemix to download them as 320Kb mp3s or FLAC files.

Fireball

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'll take a look at them, thanks.

R J

Learning to Fly
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
The tower was too much of a headache. You will have to make sure that ancient tower can encode fast enough or it will chop and stutter. I use an 8 Bay NAS with Plex installed along with NVIDIA Shield to handle TV duties.

I use MakeMKV to rip BluRays & DVDs.

oper8or

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Once you get your actual files, run them through handbrake to save space then check out plex. I use it for all my movies and music and its phenomenal.

factoryguy

chasing rabbits
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I use a Synology NAS with Plex Server and Sony TVs running the X1 processor. Works really well. My brother plays around with PCs as video servers and seems to have nothing but headaches. Also, be sure to investigate the Synology Download Station package for the real magic.

Vodkaislove

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I would recommend Plex or Jellyfin for managing your digital content. There are service out their that let you stream content directly from their G-drive

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ronjhoser