R7 133 Vs. 135 On K Band

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
After having the R7 getting its ass kicked thoroughly in recent testing, and not expecting the results I got with K band testing (from trusted testing, the R7 is supposed to have the best K band range), it was decided to see if maybe the issue was firmware 135 causing the R7 to perform at a lower level on K band. So I ran some quick tests to see if that's why my recent tests have shown what they have.

The players (all mine):

R7 Highway Mode, MRCD On, TSF On, K Wide, K Filter On, No K Blocks. One test with firmware 133, one with 135 (both with identical settings), Ka Segmented 2,4,5,6,8

RL360C 1.8 Highway Mode, TSR On, K Wide, Ka Segmented 2,4,5,6,8

V1G2 4.1025 All Bogeys Mode, KV On, No Custom Frequencies

Original Redline Highway Mode, TSR OFF, RDR Off, Segmented 2,5,8 on Ka band.

The location:
Hwy 16 Location.JPG

The setup, at the pin drop, the source (Kustom Golden Eagle K band on tripod) facing forward (travel is left to right, west to east, source facing east). While the road is fairly straight, there are some inclinations along the route, so there is a possibility of some clustering (which there was), but there was enough difference in the results to see some trends.

Here are the results:

Hwy 16 K Band.JPG

There was no traffic during testing.

As we can see, it appears that 135 does reduce K band range noticeably. Has anyone else tested this and had similar or different results?

Last edited:

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I did some time ago.
Maybe not a big a difference as you, but each K filter/TSF turned on in 135 reduced range. All filters off they even up closer.
MRCD on seems to be a slight increase for both.

Marty K

Always Driving Vigilantly
Advanced User
Reaction score
After having the R7 getting its ass kicked thoroughly in recent testing, and not expecting the results I got with K band testing (from trusted testing, the R7 is supposed to have the best K band range), it was decided to see if maybe the issue was firmware 135 causing the R7 to perform at a lower level on K band. So I ran some quick tests to see if that's why my recent tests have shown what they have...
Very interesting!
Thank you for doing this test and sharing results!

I can't really say much in regards to this (don't drive much lately, and my Stalker Dual radar unit has failed), but what I can mention is that I am still on 1.33 (mainly for the Arrows behavior, and also I don't care much for auto lockouts), and K band detection has always been great, even in tough terrain. The longest range I had was 2.75 miles (14,520 ft) on a similar spot as your test course...

EDIT: That detection was with K at 70% (Narrow, Filter ON, TSF OFF, MRCD OFF)...

Last edited:

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
And here you can see the different effects of filters On/Off on different firmwares.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
I tested with MRCD On vs. Off a few times this week, trying to figure out what was causing the big drop in performance. I found it made no statistical difference. TSF Off did make a noticeable difference, though. It just wasn't enough to explain the total drop I've seen. I can tell you that TSF Off is not practical to run where I live. It increases BSM noise, Traffic sensor noise, and door opener noise (which is already bad enough)

Last edited:

WildOne

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Wow, that's a big difference with range! Like 6dB of detection difference. Thanks for testing again!

From my IO tests, it better be worth it. Ver 133 had horrible consistency and very bad worse case delay. K was from 0.45 to 1.5 sec, while Ka was 0.15 to 1.5 sec.

Ver 135 tightened this up to 0.3 to 0.9 for K and 0.2 to 0.5 for Ka. I wouldn't drive with v133.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I tested with MRCD On vs. Off a few times this week, trying to figure out what was causing the big drop in performance. I found it made no statistical difference. TSF Off did make a noticeable difference, though. It just wasn't enough to explain the total drop I've seen. I can tell you that TSF Off is not practical to run where I live. It increases BSM noise, Traffic sensor noise, and door opener noise (which is already bad enough)
I too noticed TSF provides better filtering against K junk on 135.
My R7s are incredibly quiet on 135, and very reactive to K I/O.
However, I do conclude outright range has taken a hit.
The flip side to this is I now run Highway mode in the city, and getting better filtering and range than 133 running 40% Adv.
Outright range on the highway is where the distance loss will be noticed.
Pros and cons I suppose.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
After having the R7 getting its ass kicked thoroughly in recent testing, and not expecting the results I got with K band testing (from trusted testing, the R7 is supposed to have the best K band range), it was decided to see if maybe the issue was firmware 135 causing the R7 to perform at a lower level on K band. So I ran some quick tests to see if that's why my recent tests have shown what they have.
The players (all mine):

R7 Highway Mode, MRCD On, TSF On, K Wide, K Filter On, No K Blocks. One test with firmware 133, one with 135 (both with identical settings), Ka Segmented 2,4,5,6,8

RL360C Highway Mode, TSR On, K Wide, Ka Segmented 2,4,5,6,8

V1G2 All Bogeys Mode, KV On, No Custom Frequencies

Original Redline Highway Mode, TSR OFF, RDR Off, Segmented 2,5,8 on Ka band.

The location:
View attachment 178630

The setup, at the pin drop, the source (Kustom Golden Eagle K band on tripod) facing forward (travel is left to right, west to east, source facing east). While the road is fairly straight, there are some inclinations along the route, so there is a possibility of some clustering (which there was), but there was enough difference in the results to see some trends.

Here are the results:

View attachment 178631
There was no traffic during testing.

As we can see, it appears that 135 does reduce K band range noticeably. Has anyone else tested this and had similar or different results?
Thanks for testing this @Rags. Very interesting results. I didn't realize Uniden may have done something with 1.35 that affected K-band range this much.

I'm somewhat surprised that the RL360c didn't do better than this.

Last edited:

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Wow! What a difference! The R7 opened it's own can of whip @ss! This was more what I expected from the R7 on K band since my R1 seems to always alert first and much better against K band, especially I/O than my G2. Thanks for including the good ole' Redline-O! We always find a way to get one in during our testing! I'll always love them! They never fail to perform, especially against 35.5!

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sliferth