Just got a Midland MXT275

V1Jake

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The GMRS test is actually super challenging. You have to successfully navigate the governmental FCC website. 😅
That site is sht!!!! It doesn't load correctly or the payment page doesn't go anywhere. A nightmare 😅

CJR238

RDF founding father
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
That site is sht!!!! It doesn't load correctly or the payment page doesn't go anywhere. A nightmare 😅

What's crazy is i remember it being easer 10+ years ago.

spinner55

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
What browser where you using? I had no problems with it. Had my GMRS license for a few years. But I had to renew my ham license last year. Was easy...

CJR238

RDF founding father
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Since you mentioned running the 6 dBi on the trail, you're probably already thought of this and taken it into account, but if not don't forget about the tradeoffs of gain vs radiation pattern when offroading. Can't hurt to have the 3 dBi option for coms when you're on uneven terrain and need to reach the rigs around you, then the higher gain options for once you get to flatter and higher ground and can take advantage of the range. :)

View attachment 178848

I ended up getting the The MXTA25 3dB gain antenna for the reasons you stated and that its so low profile my 4Runner now fits into the garage with it. I can already tell it doesn't have quite the range but ill always have my 6db antenna if i need it.

I had to buy it from some random dealer online since the manufacturer is completely out with no ETA. This also prompted my purchase. lol

robbyb413

I thought there would be beer
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Midland updated the MXT275 and MXT115...

1624113366018.png

Awesome update! The ability to use split tones is a big step up for these radios. The USB-C, eh, I get it on the 115 since that is designed to leave the main unit exposed, but the 275 is designed to stick the main unit somewhere out of sight then only expose the control head/mic combo so not sure why it needs that. Should have spent the time/money to address the other problem with the radio - lack of wideband option. Now that it can do split tones, if it could allow users to select wide or narrow band based on the frequency/repeater it would be a seriously awesome unit IMO. For the price, and given the small size, I'd stick one on my boat just for the heck of it.

@CJR238 maybe you can make the case to them to swap yours out? Seems like you're just over a month out from posting this thread, it wouldn't be an unreasonable request on your part to ask Midland to exchange it, or at least let you pay some nominal "upgrade fee", I don't think.

robbyb413

I thought there would be beer
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Too late to edit my last post, but something interesting to add.

I was looking through approvals because the MXT275 manual has not been updated on Midland's support or product site and I was hoping maybe they had to file for a new approval due to the updates. I didn't find one, so I emailed Midland to ask if they can provide that in PDF. What I did find however is in this thread I just posted: https://www.rdforum.org/threads/111976/

It would seem to me that there is a strong possibility that if they went through the trouble of updating the 115 and 275, with this split tone capability coming in the soon to be released 500 and 575 they might have also added it to the 15w radios while they were under the hood. A guy can hope, right? With an MSRP of $149 and Midland offering 20-25% discounts all the time that's a smokin' deal for a pretty capable radio with a convenient form factor. 15w has been plenty for a lot of people for a long time so even with a 50w soon available in this form factor the MXT275 would still be a contender if you ask me.

I have an MXT115. That’s interesting and a little frustrating if we can’t update the firmware to allow split tones. I’m guessing not?

It seems like it was a hardware change, which is why I went looking for FCC approvals. Maybe I missed it, but the lack of an a new approval might mean this is for all practical purposes just a software change and the USBC doesn't have any real impact on the unit. If it were me, I'd email Midland and presumptively ask where to find the software update. They try to push it to the device. If it doesn't push, start loading files in Notepad++ or a hex editor and poke around to see if there is something you can change to work around some check/restriction then try to push again. What do you have to lose? They're at a disposable price point. If it fries just replace it. Do it for the cause! :)

Last edited:

Ebg18t

Learning to Drive
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
I ended up getting the The MXTA25 3dB gain antenna for the reasons you stated and that its so low profile my 4Runner now fits into the garage with it. I can already tell it doesn't have quite the range but ill always have my 6db antenna if i need it.

I had to buy it from some random dealer online since the manufacturer is completely out with no ETA. This also prompted my purchase. lol

we are running the MXT275 in a few of our vehicles. I tried the Midland 6db & the 3db ghost antenna and ended up with a Laird no ground plane 1/2 wave antenna instead. We felt it had clearer reception and seems better range than the Midland options even though it’s only 2.4 db gain, plus it’s only 10” long.

Attachments

• 23C05542-C968-47B1-9A8F-B36A890EC166.jpeg
    23C05542-C968-47B1-9A8F-B36A890EC166.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ronjhoser