New Upgrade Now Up

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, was hoping for more with this update, especially with the K band.
VR has told us many times that they want to work on one large issue at a time in most cases. They have a few different things planned in the near future last I heard.

One example of this is the initial version 4.1018 still had a limitation that existed in the Gen1 design. They didn't remove it until 4.1019. (Now I can't remember what that limitation was... 🤔 It was something small.)

If my supposition about the size of this update is correct; it could have been a huge recode of some stuff. (9 to 10 minutes for this update, 1-2 minutes for the previous update) Maybe they wanted to get this recode down before changing other stuff.

I've already put 600+ miles on it. I think I might have seen a quicker suppression of multiple bogey counts than what I'd experience in v4.1023. Everything else has been well behaved for me as well.

Last edited:

CJR238

RDF founding father
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just updated my V1G2 and it took about 10 minutes with no issues.

Glad we finally got this solid update for future tweaks. I look forward to seeing if I noticed any differences in filtering. Still awesomely quiet except for JBV1 announcing speed changes for some reason.

TexasRed

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I’ve been getting some weird K-band BSM falses. The Bogey count goes way up to 7 pretty rapidly, freqs around 24.120 or so. Then just as rapidly they go away and the detector is quiet again. Happened three times on my way home. No obvious culprits around me.

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
VR has told us many times that they want to work on one large issue at a time in most cases. They have a few different things planned in the near future last I heard.

One example of this is the initial version 4.1018 still had a limitation that existed in the Gen1 design. They didn't remove it until 4.1019. (Now I can't remember what that limitation was... 🤔 It was something small.)
It was the inability to filter out 33.8 with custom frequencies.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yep. That was it! Thanks @johnboy00.

Attached is the quick multi-alert I noticed today. (The alerts with the check marks on the right)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210505-185340.png
    Screenshot_20210505-185340.png
    163.7 KB · Views: 21

WildOne

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Well, I updated mine. I didn't watch it, but I think it updated without any problems. Did do some quick bench K-band testing (posted in Intermediate+ Testing). New fw doesn't seem to help the K alert delay against the Python II FS.

@WildOne - have you had a chance to test the new fw with your test equipment?
Yes, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any change for IO.

Maybe a little quieter for BSMs.... but behaves oddly. For the 1st time I had 2 sets of "hits" that sent the count to 5 and even 9. This all occured in about 2 sec then quite. The R7 in the meantime showed one hit at about the same freq as the V1G2 saw but it kept going for many many seconds(30 - 60 sec). So yes it was surprising, but it was over very quickly.

In general, the R7 alerts for 30 or more seconds when it does to BSMs. The new V1G2 version seems to only alert for no more than 2 secs. I have yet to find an extended BSM hit on this new version.

Boozehound

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Still awesomely quiet except for JBV1 announcing speed changes for some reason.
Haha, I fumbled around in the car and set the alert for this to "disable." That didn't help. So when I brought the G2 in the house for the update I took the time to dig deeper and found the setting. It wasn't hard at all. Hats off to @johnboy00 for making an app that is so complicated and powerful yet so easy to operate.

My G2 update took just under 9 minutes but was stuck long enough at one point that I was wondering. Swallowed a chill pill and it eventually did its thing. This was easy since @Bloovy One and others here noted that this was a long update. Nothing really to report yet on observed changes.

One thing I wonder about is how many people update regularly. VR can track it so they know. My guess is that a number of people bought it and haven't updated it a single time. No one at RDF of course.

Lars36

Banned
Banned User
Reaction score
Haha, I fumbled around in the car and set the alert for this to "disable." That didn't help. So when I brought the G2 in the house for the update I took the time to dig deeper and found the setting. It wasn't hard at all. Hats off to @johnboy00 for making an app that is so complicated and powerful yet so easy to operate.

My G2 update took just under 9 minutes but was stuck long enough at one point that I was wondering. Swallowed a chill pill and it eventually did its thing. This was easy since @Bloovy One and others here noted that this was a long update. Nothing really to report yet on observed changes.

One thing I wonder about is how many people update regularly. VR can track it so they know. My guess is that a number of people bought it and haven't updated it a single time. No one at RDF of course.
Funny thing, with my V1 and I'm talking V1 years ago, I would always go to the VR website and put my serial number in and check for updates.
I believe that I sent it back a couple of times for updates.
But that's just me.
Like to keep things current, can you say sour milk. LOL

Boozehound

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Funny thing, with my V1 and I'm talking V1 years ago, I would always go to the VR website and put my serial number in and check for updates.
I believe that I sent it back a couple of times for updates.
But that's just me.
Like to keep things current, can you say sour milk. LOL
This is one more great thing about RDF. You'll first learn about any available updates for just about any CM right here. Although I must confess that JBV1 did steal that thunder this time, notifying me of the update. My first thought was how I hadn't seen it here yet! Of course it was when I checked.

Draneus

Premium Plus
General User
Reaction score
jvb1.jpg

Well I'm still getting K Band's from CX-5 and CX-7 even with the new update. The good news is I'm just getting them faster :D

Actually liking the new update especially on the reactivity of the K Band but I would've appreciated some improvements on false K.

Still loving my V1G2.. and JBV1 is a killer you guys should buy them out ahaha !

V1Jake

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
So far no SHBC on KA for me. Going to work on Sat/Sun and I should encounter a ton of KA. Will report back.

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
Maybe a little quieter for BSMs.... but behaves oddly. For the 1st time I had 2 sets of "hits" that sent the count to 5 and even 9. This all occured in about 2 sec then quite. The R7 in the meantime showed one hit at about the same freq as the V1G2 saw but it kept going for many many seconds(30 - 60 sec). So yes it was surprising, but it was over very quickly.

In general, the R7 alerts for 30 or more seconds when it does to BSMs. The new V1G2 version seems to only alert for no more than 2 secs. I have yet to find an extended BSM hit on this new version.
Just checked the logs. It was actually more like 7 seconds then quiet. Time flies when your in shock!
View attachment 178471

Well I'm still getting K Band's from CX-5 and CX-7 even with the new update. The good news is I'm just getting them faster :D
Now that I think about it, this is a good way to describe it. The BSM falses, while they still exist in the same number, don't last for as long. Now, it's more often a quick blip and then they disappear. So I can agree that this is behavior is making the detector quieter, as it spends less time alerting to junk.

Although admittedly @WildOne, I haven't powered on my R7 since Saturday, so I haven't compared to it on the new firmware.

RedRocket

Lidar Shootist
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I wonder the same, the same folks have been hitting the V1G2 hard since it came out.

@RedRocket, I’ll never forget! The G2 is “too slow”. Who says that like a month or two into a new product being out!

👆That comment ages well against the HPI design within the G2 - you knew better tho!

All for what? Confusing potential buyers?
If 'crow' is on the plate, may I see a link to the Menu you reference above.
TIA

cihkal

🕊
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
If 'crow' is on the plate, may I see a link to the Menu you reference above.
TIA
Jon served ya a correction immediately following that comment, as a nice appetizer. That was unexpected tbh.

It’s in your post history from shortly after the G2 released. Was it in that technical thread that got put in general so he could participate? I think so.

Hope that helps!

PS

If my memory isn’t off, it was during a time when Radenso had a lot to say about the G2 and “Theia’s” specs. Never understood why! I happened to quote Jons post before things seemed to have been cleaned up, just a hint remains!

Attachments

• 18A7F803-903D-4E86-B1A5-42F57C003537.jpeg
    18A7F803-903D-4E86-B1A5-42F57C003537.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

9C1Driver

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Dammit @Freebird ! I wish that I was brave enough to turn it off as well! Hell if they didn't do something with it i might as well!
Lol, he would find out what K band is if he rolled through our city. Second largest city in the state and we are 90% K band radar. Most are those cheap hand held directional Decatur units.

MASI

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
One thing I wonder about is how many people update regularly.

After the last VR update, some are hesitant to immediately update. Many (me included) were really frustrated with the post Halloween ghosting. So, as tempted as I am to immediately update (realllly hard not to pull the trigger) I will wait a little while in order to see the plusses and minuses of this FW update fall out.

Still love my G2, but just a little hesitant. :)

Boozehound

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
After the last VR update, some are hesitant to immediately update. Many (me included) were really frustrated with the post Halloween ghosting. So, as tempted as I am to immediately update (realllly hard not to pull the trigger) I will wait a little while in order to see the plusses and minuses of this FW update fall out.

Still love my G2, but just a little hesitant. :)
Thankfully VR respects the customer and gives you this option. Unlike your iphone, Galaxy S10 or newer, and Windows 10.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tap053