2021 Honda Insight Mirror Tap Help

sw6368

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I am trying to determine correct contact points on the power dimming rear view mirror with home link on my 2021 Honda Insight Touring. Spent tons of time with a volt meter and am more confused. The wires in the harness into the mirror are all black - 7 contact points only 5 are populated with a wire. 3 together separated by 2 spaces then group of wires.

Multiple wires test as seemingly a ground with continuity tester against a ground point on frame which confused me. . Also having issues as I thought I had determined the correct set determined to power on and off with ignition but behavior changed when turned headlights on or off. Also seems the car extends switched power after turning off ignition matching the interior lights delay.

Hoping someone has already sorted this as can not find anything searching this forum or the web.
Thanks in advance.

YelloEye

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
2019-2021 cars all have the same mirror. This diagram is for a 2019 but should be accurate. Looks like you'll want pin 6 for ground and pin 7 for power. That will give you switched power. As always, I recommend testing with something that's not your $$$ radar detector just to make sure that's how the circuit functions, a $2 test lamp will do this just fine.

1620241649689.png

For anybody else looking for diagrams like this. Check with your local library. Many of them have access to online service manuals where you can get this and a ton of other info.

sw6368

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks so much, exactly what I had been trying to find via google. Terminal 2 was the one I thought was it, until saw various states based on headlight on or off, delay post turn off ignition, now I know #7 is true switched hot.

YelloEye

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks so much, exactly what I had been trying to find via google. Terminal 2 was the one I thought was it, until saw various states based on headlight on or off, delay post turn off ignition, now I know #7 is true switched hot.
I'm not sure about this specific vehicle, but there may be a Retained Accessory Power (RAP) circuit on pin 7, so if turning the ignition off doesn't kill power, try:
1. opening a door
2. then closing it
3. then locking the car with the fob

One of those steps is sure to kill power to that wire.

sw6368

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Decided to end up direct wiring to the fuse panel using an add a fuse into position 2 which was open and switched power. Was an easy install under edge of headliner down inside of a-pillar (making sure to route away from the side curtain airbag and zip tied to an existing wiring harness). Was then able to then drop the cable through a gap in corner of dash covered by a pillar trim to reach fuse panel. since was an open position in fuse panel in left the bottom position of the add a fuse open and used a small bolt and nut with washer / lock washer to affix ground lead to a while in the steel dash frame near the fuse panel.

Felt would be a more secure connection then tapping into back oft the power dimming mirror harness.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgtmac