Howdy from Houston!

SpeedySteve

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Well, I have night court tomorrow for a speeding ticket when I was going about 10 over. It is my first ticket in TX, so should I ask the judge for the driving school option instead of having points on my record?

Mr carbon

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
10 over psl 🙄 sum cops really have little to be doing.if it was me I definitely ask if possibly about driving school options best of luck

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome to RDF! Which court do you have to be in? If it's the one on Lubbock you can set it for trial by jury. Then if the cop doesn't show they'll dismiss it. If he does show up you can request a reset to hire counsel. Or you can do defensive. Or just hire an attorney. They often will give deferred as well.

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hello @SpeedySteve and welcome aboard RDF!

Sorry to hear about your citation. Your court date is so close it may be difficult finding an attorney who is available, but I would definitely recommend trying.

SpeedySteve

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm in Magnolia. Would an attorney be better than just asking the judge for driving school myself?

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm in Magnolia. Would an attorney be better than just asking the judge for driving school myself?

Obviously that's always a possibility, but what if the judge is having a bad day or the defendant before you really upset him and his bad mood carries over to you? :eek:

A good traffic attorney can keep the points off and maybe even have it dismissed. Sure it will cost you some extra money, but in the long run I believe that most people would agree it would be your best course of action.

Finally, @FAtoCPA has offered some great advice to you in your other thread. Good luck and let us know what you did and how it turns out.

Last edited:

erickonphoenix

Left Lane Hooligan
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Greetings from central Houston.

Usually when you get a traffic ticket your mail box starts filling up with letters from lawyers. I use Kameron Searle but Sullo y Sullo also has a large operation in the court house. If you opted for defensive driving which it sounds like you did. You will have to drive nice in the state for a calendar year. If you request deferred adjudication you could knock that probationary period down to six months but you pay the full ticket cost.

Another thing to keep in mind is Houston no longer reports speeding tickets 9 mph and under as moving violations so people will stop fighting them with lawyers and just pay. They also coordinated the fees so it's pretty much the same cost if you pay a 9 over at the cashiers office or just pay the lawyer. Funny how they did that.

For future reference, keep in mind any and all violations you plan to fight should be submitted to your attorney's office asap so they can get you in front of a judge they can work with. I always submit mine "day of" receipt.

milkman

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

XDA

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm from Houston.
Career attorney....but now retired. Go see one of my colleagues. Good luck.

It looked to me like the city slowed down on their traffic enforcement when the pandemic hit, but I am seeing them out & about more often now. The city treasury probably has some catching up to do.

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Welcome, sorry to hear of your ticket. Sounds like you have some solid advice!

RoadDogg

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@SpeedySteve , Welcome to the Forum!! We are glad to have you here.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coach Ron