Quick question regarding overseas R3 Vs. NZ one

AaronE

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I've gone through a few posts on the forum and some great info there. However I just wonder if someone can clarify for me what the differences between buying a new R3 here in NZ would be, vs getting one from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0743H6CSN/?tag=rdf0cd0c-20 ) and having Mithheru work some magic on it? Obviously a lot cheaper to buy off amazon, but is there an advantage to getting a NZ new one?

Any advise would be appreciated

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Why not just go for an R7 if you're set on Uniden? I believe they are often heavily discounted.

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've gone through a few posts on the forum and some great info there. However I just wonder if someone can clarify for me what the differences between buying a new R3 here in NZ would be, vs getting one from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0743H6CSN/?tag=rdf0cd0c-20 ) and having Mithheru work some magic on it? Obviously a lot cheaper to buy off amazon, but is there an advantage to getting a NZ new one?

Any advise would be appreciated
The NEW R3s in NZ now have coverage down to 23.900 so will pickup the Redflex vans. Older R3s in NZ and Overseas are hardware limited to 24.050.

As LouG said, an R7 covers this anyway and might be a better option. Plus it has arrows!

AaronE

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The NEW R3s in NZ now have coverage down to 23.900 so will pickup the Redflex vans. Older R3s in NZ and Overseas are hardware limited to 24.050.

As LouG said, an R7 covers this anyway and might be a better option. Plus it has arrows!
R7 looks to be about twice the price on amazon, but sure, much cheaper than NZ price. Is it really that much better? And would an R7 still need modifying to work in NZ?

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
From what I've heard the R7 is worth every cent of the extra cost. You'll see this when you first use a detector with arrows. It's the reason I've used V1's for nearly 30 years.

AaronE

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks will look at that as well.an overseas r7 would also need a mod to work fully in Nz?

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks will look at that as well.an overseas r7 would also need a mod to work fully in Nz?
No mods required.
You can get a custom firmware and maps from @Mithheru. Though it works just fine out of the box with some settings for NZ.

Nato

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@AaronE, my R7 was delivered today and all up, including delivery and GST, it cost me $700. I installed Keepa on my phone and monitored the price of the R7 so I'd receive a notification when the price dropped below a set value.

DEMON5

What's a PSL
Intermediate User
Reaction score
No mods required.
You can get a custom firmware and maps from @Mithheru. Though it works just fine out of the box with some settings for NZ.
Well technically it would have a USA GPS database so all functions wouldn't fully work.

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
R7 looks to be about twice the price on amazon, but sure, much cheaper than NZ price. Is it really that much better? And would an R7 still need modifying to work in NZ?
What I think your after is my R7 international firmware update and NZ gps. This not only makes it work in NZ but it works better than the R7 NZ.

I'm currently working on R7 International v138 which also adds auto lockouts in addition to all the extra gps stuff only on the international platform, plus also of course user definable K segmentation and arrows!

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
As you can see, the big advantage we have with Unidens is Mithheru. No dealing with unresponsive US manufacturers.
I'm excluding V1 here though. VR is excellent.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgtmac