Suction cups to mounting tape to ?

ddublu

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I’ve used suction cups for years and they’ve held up even during the summer heat. Driving a 21 Yukon Denali and I can’t get anything to stick. Earlier this week, I even tried Gorilla Glue mounting tape directly to the mounting bracket. Let it cure and 24+ hrs later, I come out and my detector is in my floorboard.

Is GG just not strong enough or am I completely missing something here?

I don’t want to do anything like a blendmount/mirror mount (Virginia resident) and don’t want something flopping over each bump.

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I use 30# 3M tape on one of my windshields and its held for ever.....seems like most suction cup issues are a matter of cleaning the mounting surface and cups.

FWIW, my suction cups have lasted just as long in my vehicle with a tint strip.

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I would recommend either VHB tape, or I have also had really good results with the 3m body and molding tape they sell at the auto parts store. Make sure both surfaces are super clean and dry and then make sure you apply a moderate pressure with a little gentle back and forth movement then hold it firmly in place for about 30 seconds to make sure it gets a solid bond.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I use 30# 3M tape on one of my windshields and its held for ever.....seems like most suction cup issues are a matter of cleaning the mounting surface and cups.

FWIW, my suction cups have lasted just as long in my vehicle with a tint strip.
I've used Gorilla Tape on several of my perm. mounts from Ebay when moving the mounts to a new location and they held up just as good as the 3M Tape that was on it before! Like has been said, clean the windshield with glass cleaner or alcohol and make sure you mount it where you want it because if you do it right, it ain't no fun taking it back down!

bslaws

Land of Spuds and Gems.
Advanced User
Reaction score
We use 1/2" diameter 3/16" thick
rare earth magnets at work. I took 3 of them and stuck them in a row to 3m 30# tape and stuck that to my windshield. The R7 suction cup mount without the suction cups sticks perfectly. Easily removed when not in use.

08Z51C6

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I use these when I had a Waylen's horizon camera.
You might want to leave the insulating piece in the middle because once they're stuck together it's almost impossible to slide them apart unless you do it sideways. But they're super strong!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210501-203510121.jpg
    Screenshot_20210501-203510121.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 22

bslaws

Land of Spuds and Gems.
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've used Gorilla Tape on several of my perm. mounts from Ebay when moving the mounts to a new location and they held up just as good as the 3M Tape that was on it before! Like has been said, clean the windshield with glass cleaner or alcohol and make sure you mount it where you want it because if you do it right, it ain't no fun taking it back down!
Easier to just have your windshield replaced:rolleyes:

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Easier to just have your windshield replaced:rolleyes:
If you use a thin plastic spatula and take your time, it's stii a pain in the @ss but it will come down!

08Z51C6

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Or this. 🥴🤔🥺

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210501-204142201.jpg
    Screenshot_20210501-204142201.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 14

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
My current fav is 3M Dual Lock.
That's what I use for my V1G2 since it gets moved between 3 different Mustangs until I get my new one! That dual lock kicks @ss!

ddublu

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I use these when I had a Waylen's horizon camera.
You might want to leave the insulating piece in the middle because once they're stuck together it's almost impossible to slide them apart unless you do it sideways. But they're super strong!

So two magnets on the windshield and two on the mount? I think one of my issues was that I put tape over the back bracket of the OEM uniden mount and it's got a few holes in it where the suction cups go.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Livsy